engine run line shaft

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here is my one and only you tube video. This line shaft and grinder was in my granddad's shop. I was feeling nostalgic and set it up in mine. He ran it with a electric motor, I run it with a wisconsin engine.

I have expanded on it, tightened up the roller chain. put the tail pipe out the wall. Been wanting to get a starter generator for the wisconsin. The flat belts concern some folks. I been around them all of my youth never had a problem, if one breaks it collapses like a wet noodle. A v-belt on the other hand can get stuck in the sheave and swat around.

been wanting to incorporate this into it
h3qgxKol.jpg

expanded
D2xeo6ll.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrRandytlee

About 10 years ago I was working in an Amish area of Northern Missouri. An Amish gentleman had a sawmill there, and ran the entire shop off a big diesel engine outside the shop. The shaft went through the wall and all the different equipment ran off that one shaft. It was quite an operation. Your setup is the only other one I've ever seen.

When I was a young tot, Grandpa had a line drive shaft running across his 3 bay garage. Nothing connected when I was old enough to notice, but the flat belts and sheaves were all hung on the wall. He drove it with a single cylinder Wisconsin engine back in the day.

There was an oar factory with line shafts not far from here. They had already shut down when I saw it and the building is long gone now.

Here is my one and only you tube video. This line shaft and grinder was in my granddad's shop. I was feeling nostalgic and set it up in mine. He ran it with a electric motor, I run it with a wisconsin engine.

I have expanded on it, tightened up the roller chain. put the tail pipe out the wall. Been wanting to get a starter generator for the wisconsin. The flat belts concern some folks. I been around them all of my youth never had a problem, if one breaks it collapses like a wet noodle. A v-belt on the other hand can get stuck in the sheave and swat around.

been wanting to incorporate this into it
h3qgxKol.jpg

expanded
D2xeo6ll.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrRandytlee
That is a dream that I can someday aspire to.

This guy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLplNLurUszqkoQbeOnC2T4ZkoNM_1MovF
Has what he thinks is the last steam driven line shaft machine shop operating in north America.

I have collected a number of tools ( drill presses, grinder, lathe, milling machine) that I hope to someday run off a line shaft but for now that is still a pipe dream.

Thanks for sharing the images!

Ben

This is one video of a guy that does micro-hydro.

I could not find a play list so you will have to look through his videos to find the videos on his set-up.

Ben

Thanks for posting your pictures, I remember that my grandfather had a large grinding wheel about the same size as yours, if I remember it was pedal powered. Back in the 1960's while walking around Seattle looking for a job in an industrial area of town, I looked into an old building and in the ceiling area, the full length of the building was a line shaft, I don't remember seeing any machinery being on the floor that the line shaft ran, but I remember feeling good about seeing something like that, that old building was probably a major machine shop in its day.

I must have missed this thread before, I love the line shaft plan, I plan on doing something similar, with multiple motive sources in mind, like tractor PTO, a small engine of some kind, or in a real pinch animal power turn table. so far the plan is just in my mind.

Latest posts

Back