Ernest Hemingways Famous Hamburger

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what I'm making tomorrow. Thank you, Dave and Ernest!

OMG! My crazy uncle Fred has been making a minor variation of that for years! NOW I got to ask him if he even knows who Hemingway is or he picked it up somewhere!

He lost me at "lean ground beef". Normally 20% is the least fat content I buy, fat is the flavor. Years ago I had to buy lean ground beef for burgers, the store was out of everything else. My friends aptly named it Peanuts "Sahara Burger". They were so dry they were pitiful.

He lost me at "lean ground beef". Normally 20% is the least fat content I buy, fat is the flavor. Years ago I had to buy lean ground beef for burgers, the store was out of everything else. My friends aptly named it Peanuts "Sahara Burger". They were so dry they were pitiful.
Fat is what adds flavor to many meats. I knew a bunch of people who were all about 93% fat free burger, and the fat was an issue for their taste. I tried the 93% fat free and didn't understand what the big deal was. It really wasn't good, imho.

I hope it is okay that I copied and pasted. Sometimes web site change, disappear, and things disappear.
Hemingway burgers.jpg

• 1 lb. ground lean beef
  • 2 cloves, minced garlic
  • 2 little green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 heaping teaspoon, India relish
  • 2 tablespoons, capers
  • 1 heaping teaspoon, Spice Islands Sage
  • Spice Islands Beau Monde Seasoning — ½ teaspoon
  • Spice Islands Mei Yen Powder — ½ teaspoon
  • 1 egg, beaten in a cup with a fork
  • About one-third cup dry red or white wine
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Directions
Break up the meat with a fork and scatter the garlic, onion, and dry seasonings over it, then mix them into the meat with a fork or your fingers.

Let the bowl of meat sit out of the icebox for ten or fifteen minutes while you set the table and make the salad. Add the relish, capers, everything else including wine and let the meat sit, quietly marinating, for another ten minutes if possible.

Now make four fat, juicy patties with your hands. The patties should be an inch thick, and soft in texture but not runny.

Have the oil in your frying-pan hot but not smoking when you drop in the patties and then turn the heat down and fry the burgers about four minutes. Take the pan off the burner and turn the heat high again. Flip the burgers over, put the pan back on the hot fire, then after one minute, turn the heat down again and cook another three minutes. Both sides of the burgers should be crispy brown and the middle pink and juicy.

Substitution Notes/Changes
  • Spice Islands discontinued its Mei Yen Powder several years ago. I substituted with 1 tsp. soy sauce, ½ tsp. kosher salt, ½ tsp sugar, combined and added into the meat mixture.
  • The other Spice Islands seasonings are still available. The Beau Monde is a unique blend, but the sage can be substituted with any other good quality sage.
  • India Relish. You can indeed still get this online, but often in bulk and usually for a pretty penny (for a jar of relish). The taste is described best as right down the middle, not too sour or sweet. I’m personally a dill relish guy, so I just substituted with my favorite dill relish and the result was spectacular.

Latest posts

Back