Essential Oils

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Does anyone use essential oils regularly? I don't.

If you use them, I have read about different brands and the conflict between which are better. Part of this is why I don't use them.

I also do not really know if they really work or not. I think one of you uses essential oils. @Grimm

But in my going through all my stuff, I found a recipe for a Mosquito repellent using essential oils. I thought it might be interesting, but it seems to be expensive to purchase all of these oils initially, and then what is the shelf life?

I do see that there are some actual essential oil mosquito repellents, but also, peppermint oil seems to be very effective for an insect repellent. I think it is a repellent for rodents as well.

8 ounce Mosquito Repellent from essential oils

2 oz. rose geranium essential oil
12 drops of peppermint essential oil
8 drops lavender essential oil
6 drops clove essential oil
2 drops sage leaf essential oil
2 drops eucalyptus essential oil
Enough base oil to bring the volume to 8 ounces. The base oil can be olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, or for a light option, sesame oil.
Out into an 8 ounce spray bottle and shake before each use. Spray it on exposed skin and then rub it in so that it has an even application.

It seems to be effective as te DEET products, though the application doesn't last long.

The aroma is not too feminine or masculine and is rather pleasant, so even children don't fight it.

It can be used on dogs, but only in areas where they cannot lick--collar or back of neck, and it deters not only mosquitos, but fleas and ticks. You can mix just peppermint and lavender oils in coconut oil for use on dog's paws, between toes and on torso, as it is safe for their ingestion and will aid in warding off fleas, ticks and other bugs in those areas of their body also.

DoTerra and Young Living are major in our area, and everyone seems to take a side. I have plenty of oils. I do enjoy the mint and the orange, I think that they are mood boosters. Our daughter the pharmacist agrees. I don't like the misters that they use in home, and we don't use them...it sets off husband's breathing. Our neighbor that has the little one (Brenda) with the breathing issues would use one with the Breathe Right oil in it, and I pointed out that it sets off her asthma. My favorite cousin's daughter in law is insane about Young Living, and she sells it, seems to be a ponzi scheme as far as I can tell. She goes a bit overboard claiming they can cure even the worst of diseases. I think she's nuts, but to each his own.

i like EOs and use them regularly depending on need. i like peppermint, use it with lemon for room spray. i like lavendar,,,didnt know about the burn relief thanks backpacker.

when i make salves i ue some to add scent sometimes. also use differet ones for diffusers. rosemary is nioce.
you can mix 50/50 garlic oil and 2% tincture of iodine and put on warts or skin tags and totally gets rid of them. put some on the spot then on a bit of cotton ball and band aid it on. repeat each day til gone--usually a week or so.
i have a blend i use for putting behind my ears for vertigo i get now and then thats not bad. and a blend for my heart that is calming. i like tea tree oil too. alwasy good to learn more and how others use them and for what.

i also like to mention looking into plain old castor oil and all the things it can help with is a good idea. lot of differetn ways to use it.

nice thread weedy

I used EOs for various things- not necessarily cures for anything but pine is a natural antiseptic, lavender is relaxing, wintergreen therapeutic.
I’ve not yet read all the posts so forgive me if it’s already been stated but be cautious and do your homework as some cannot be used straight and have to be diluted.

I like and use some essential oils. I've bought Young Living and DoTerra; ironically while Young Living seems to me to be a bit better, I did have one bottle of their Thieves that was just nasty as soon as I opened it, something had made the oil go rancid. But honestly, it's always a risk to buy them as there's not any third party testing or qualifications and no one agrees on the definition of "pure".
That said, I make sure I always have Thieves and Peppermint from Young Living on hand. I have some pretty strange and strong chemical sensitivities; for instance if I encounter Tide detergent I get instantly very sick and have a hard time breathing. (Even just hugging someone who washed their shirt in Tide!) I have learned that I can break that reaction and start breathing again if I inhale the peppermint oil. Thieves rubbed into the lymph glands in my neck seems to help me avoid getting sick if it feels like I might be getting a cold.
I also use the Now brand of lemon and orange oils for things like hand cream or sugar scrub with good results.
Do they cure everything? Nope. But they are my go-to for self care and prevention.

Does anyone use essential oils regularly? I don't.

If you use them, I have read about different brands and the conflict between which are better. Part of this is why I don't use them.

I also do not really know if they really work or not. I think one of you uses essential oils. @Grimm

But in my going through all my stuff, I found a recipe for a Mosquito repellent using essential oils. I thought it might be interesting, but it seems to be expensive to purchase all of these oils initially, and then what is the shelf life?

I do see that there are some actual essential oil mosquito repellents, but also, peppermint oil seems to be very effective for an insect repellent. I think it is a repellent for rodents as well.

8 ounce Mosquito Repellent from essential oils

2 oz. rose geranium essential oil
12 drops of peppermint essential oil
8 drops lavender essential oil
6 drops clove essential oil
2 drops sage leaf essential oil
2 drops eucalyptus essential oil
Enough base oil to bring the volume to 8 ounces. The base oil can be olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, or for a light option, sesame oil.
Out into an 8 ounce spray bottle and shake before each use. Spray it on exposed skin and then rub it in so that it has an even application.

It seems to be effective as te DEET products, though the application doesn't last long.

The aroma is not too feminine or masculine and is rather pleasant, so even children don't fight it.

It can be used on dogs, but only in areas where they cannot lick--collar or back of neck, and it deters not only mosquitos, but fleas and ticks. You can mix just peppermint and lavender oils in coconut oil for use on dog's paws, between toes and on torso, as it is safe for their ingestion and will aid in warding off fleas, ticks and other bugs in those areas of their body also.

I have mixed a few rollers of oils for various things from headaches to bug bites. I have had good results with the ones I have used. I tend to use oils bottled by Now Foods. They are decently priced and have a wide range of oils. I use Mountain Rose Herbs for others and my carriers. Most of the 'top brands' like Do Terra and Young Living are MLMs. I avoid those unless I can't get an oil from another source.

I also use oils to make our own vapor rub that my whole family likes and prefers to store bought. Cleaner too.

Latest posts

Back