Exercise Progression - Good and bad

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I want to say I am really happy with the way things are going.. am about to finish my 4th exercise in the 4th week this weekend.
My speeds in the Cardio events are noticeably improving and I can pack on noticeably more weight in the gym w/o feeling struggling with it too badly.

The shape of my body has also improved in subtle ways, still fairly fat but my shoulders appear wider/more defined.
If the light is right, my blood vessels are starting to be visible with a bit of definition on my shoulders even.
My love handles are also subtly but noticeably smaller..
And my gait has regained the control and swagger of a younger man.

I also support my exercise regimen with slightly improved eating habits and plenty of sleep.

However I may take 2 days in a row off on legs after Sundays run.
Why?:

As I started my regimen, after 2 weeks my right foot is starting to swell for no apparent reason.
Nothing crazy but noticeable both in feel (I can feel my skin stretch) and when I compare visually to my left foot.
Also today during air squats to warm up for regular weighed squats, I felt my left knee nearly give way twice in a nervous twitch.. so I think a tendon may be getting inflamed there.
Will put myself on 880 mg Naproxen/day for next 7 days and perhaps not do any leg at all Monday and Tuesday.

Last edited:
I want to say I am really happy with the way things are going.. am about to finish my 4th exercise in the 4th week this weekend.
My speeds in the Cardio events are noticeably improving and I can pack on noticeably more weight in the gym w/o feeling struggling with it too badly.

The shape of my body has also improved in subtle ways, still fairly fat but my shoulders appear wider/more defined.
If the light is right, my blood vessels are starting to be visible with a bit of definition on my shoulders even.
My love handles are also subtly but noticeably smaller..
And my gait has regained the control and swagger of a younger man.

I also support my exercise regimen with slightly improved eating habits and plenty of sleep.

However I may take 2 days in a row off on legs after Sundays run.
Why?:

As I started my regimen, after 2 weeks my right foot is starting to swell for no apparent reason.
Nothing crazy but noticeable both in feel (I can feel my skin stretch) and when I compare visually to my left foot.
Also today during air squats to warm up for regular weighed squats, I felt my left knee nearly give way twice in a nervous twitch.. so I think a tendon may be getting inflamed there.
Will put myself on 880 mg Naproxen/day for next 7 days and perhaps not do any leg at all Monday and Tuesday.
While replacing a deck a few years ago something in my knee popped. Wife made me start taking glucosmene and condroitin (sp?). It seemed to help me and my old joints.

Ben

I'm just in the gym because if you don't use it, you lose it. I see my mom in a wheelchair because she never pushed herself with any exercises once she turned 60 and her hip mobility deteriorated. Now she can't get up out of a chair or pick her feet up well enough to walk. I'm going to be 50 this year, so my time to strengthen my body before I reach that critical age where I can't really improve my body any more is getting short.

The weight loss has been a side bonus. As a Type 1 diabetic, I have also decreased my insulin dosage because the exercise reduces insulin resistance. It's a win all around...

Latest posts

Back