Extra friendly Canada goose.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As kid there was a mallard duck that loved my sis and I do much it followed us to the car out of the park. Then that darn thing started following the car out off the parking lot into the street. Dad pulled the car over, grabbed the duck and took it back to the park. In fact took it to the far side and ran back twisting his ankle on the unravel paths. . . Sweet memories.

I'm not sure what sex this one is,it's only a year old.

If it quacks really loud all the time and anti sociable it is female. If it if friendly and has more of a whisper it is male. Or that was our experience with Pekings Aflac and Sassy. Our Muskovies Heckle and Jeckle were stand offish.

Last edited:
We had a "pet" duck that followed us everywhere. We didn't intend to have it, but it landed on our pond one day then never wanted to leave.
It would sit outside the back door and look at us through the window. If we moved to another room, it would waddle off to the other windows and look in to find us. When I went outside it followed me everywhere.

When I was a kid, someone down the road mended an injured crow. After it was better, it still hung around. It would meet us at the bus stop and actually had a small vocabulary. It could say "hello" and could recognize faces and call people by their names.

We had a "pet" duck that followed us everywhere. We didn't intend to have it, but it landed on our pond one day then never wanted to leave.
It would sit outside the back door and look at us through the window. If we moved to another room, it would waddle off to the other windows and look in to find us. When I went outside it followed me everywhere.

When I was a kid, someone down the road mended an injured crow. After it was better, it still hung around. It would meet us at the bus stop and actually had a small vocabulary. It could say "hello" and could recognize faces and call people by their names.

Birds are amazing for sure. Since we cleared away some of frontage our wild birds don't come around as much past couple weeks. Except a pair of red birds who are always here near front porch.
We give them bird feed but not every week so they can survive in the wild . Will put some out today. Crow now will use bird bath in front of us. He is so pretty.

We had a rooster like that before we left Tx. He was part of a big group (20+) of roosters that was dumped at our place. He would hang out with our dogs which is the only reason he survived, and it was funny to watch. The rest were gone in a couple of weeks. He ran the mocking birds out of the trees near the house and would patrol for snakes. He made himself at home and useful.

Crows and ravens, according to a researcher who worked in northern Vermont and Maine with ravens - and wrote a book about it - are quite intelligent. Their brains work differently from ours, apparently with much more utilization of vision. Somehow, they can make complicated calculations using a strong visual component, though their brain mass is way less than the higher mammals possess. The author didn't work with members of the parrot family, so didn't guess how their brains work as well as they do.

Due to the 'maturing' of my own brain, I suspect the average crow could outfox me even easier than they did when I was a 10 y.o. with a .22.

Crows have the largest brain to body size of any bird. They don't have a typical bird brain either. Their brains are much more complex. They have the same emotional centers as we do. They make tools to fit a particular problem and can work out multi-step problems to solve them. They communicate with each other and teach their young. The remember the faces of dangerous people and teach their young and other crows to recognize them too. The have great memories and can remember faces for their entire life. They are actually smarter than some primates.

We had a rooster like that before we left Tx. He was part of a big group (20+) of roosters that was dumped at our place. He would hang out with our dogs which is the only reason he survived, and it was funny to watch. The rest were gone in a couple of weeks. He ran the mocking birds out of the trees near the house and would patrol for snakes. He made himself at home and useful.

We rural people are so lucky to know animals up close and personal,huh? I do miss the city too but not what it is now.
Cute story Terri , I enjoyed it.

Just going by Facebook weirdness, I don't know many city folks, they tend to think that critturs act human. They have it backwards; humans are critturs too. And mostly we ain't acting.

Hubby and I lasted almost a year on FakeBook. Been off Facebook fro about 3 years now I think.

If it quacks really loud all the time and anti sociable it is female. If it if friendly and has more of a whisper it is male. Or that was our experience with Pekings Aflac and Sassy. Our Muskovies Heckle and Jeckle were stand offish.
But it's not a duck,it's a Canada goose,I know ducks are that way,I think it's like that with all duck breeds,not sure about geese though. ;)

But it's not a duck,it's a Canada goose,I know ducks are that way,I think it's like that with all duck breeds,not sure about geese though. ;)

Oh ok but I never had a goose so closest I could get was my ducks. But I'd like to have geese if I had time for them. I hear they are good watchers.

Oh ok but I never had a goose so closest I could get was my ducks. But I'd like to have geese if I had time for them. I hear they are good watchers.
They are excellent watchers. I haven't had a lot of geese,just 2 African Browns and now these 2 Canada geese and quite a few ducks. This is the only 1 out of all of them that'll come this close and I have no idea why,it just started doing it a couple of weeks ago. I can call it to me from wherever it is,it follows me around and looks at the windows when I'm inside,waiting on me to either come out or open a window and quack at it,beats me why but I love it. :D

They are excellent watchers. I haven't had a lot of geese,just 2 African Browns and now these 2 Canada geese and quite a few ducks. This is the only 1 out of all of them that'll come this close and I have no idea why,it just started doing it a couple of weeks ago. I can call it to me from wherever it is,it follows me around and looks at the windows when I'm inside,waiting on me to either come out or open a window and quack at it,beats me why but I love it. :D

What a neat bird , we had had a red bird raising cane because we didn't put out wild bird feed today. But your goose friend is really something.

Birds and all animals can get use to things and get upset if things change. When I was younger dad had some Purple Martin houses up that were on poles with pulley systems. When it got stormy he lowered them and then after the storms went on by he'd raise them back up. After a couple of years anytime he forgot to raise it back up they raise cane to let him know about it.

Yeah,it really gets me how out of all the domesticated ducks and geese I've had I've never had 1 do this. But a wild breed,even though we've had it since it was a gosling,does and I don't know why it changed. It didn't use to act like this but I love it. :D

Latest posts

Back