Extracting gold (warning! Chemistry ahead)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neb

Jack of all trades master of some
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
These videos offer a glimpse into wham it takes to refine gold from various sources. In the event TEOTWAKI puts us in a gold based society, being able to refine gold would let one produce the coin of the realm. Only a few chemicals and lab equipment is required to produce a gold sponge that can be melted down and cast.

Starting with jewelry

Part 1 starting with computer parts

Part 2

Extracting gold from computer parts (Part 2)

Please note the warning about H2S gas which is bad bad bad. Smells like rotten eggs and when it dissolves in water produces sulfuric acid.

When I run across info on producing nitric acid and hydrochloric acid etc. i will share those.

Re: bleach
Sock pile pool shock to make your own bleach even if you aren't into chemistry.

Ben

I’ve toyed with this for years. I have a stack of 1-off circuit boards for R&D testing, most cost $20K+ when new. The foil runs are silver, not tin. All board connectors are gold.

I have a large crucible, will hold about 3.5g of molten metal, about the size of a 5gal can… and the 900K btu furnace that goes with it. Getting the gas or coke to run it is another story. I even bought a couple boxes of Borax to use as flux.

I have 6 small graphite crucibles. 4.5” tall, 3” ID at the top and no furnace to heat them…

Guess I should do something about them, there is a place in town that can handle it but they take almost all the profit and pay out pennies.

Crusible a 2a.JPG
Crusible a 3a.JPG
Crusible b 1a.JPG
Crusible b 2a.JPG
Crusible b 3a.JPG

Or the fume hood that NIOSH uses when testing those cartridges.

1597558847551 (3).jpeg

I was thinking about about using my sandblasting cabinet that is already ducted to the outside. Would be a tight fit for the distillation tube and I would have to plumb in cooling fluid.

Trivia

They used five different fume hoods. Two for acid another pair for bases and a fifth for organics like tear gas.

Ben

Latest posts

Back