eye protection

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
years ago I was running a trapline. Part of the line went through a cedar swamp. I was trucking through there pretty fast one night and a small cedar branch went into my eye, didn't poke me in the eye per say. The branch slipped between my eye lid and my eyeball, up in the corner. It hurt like heck and hurt for about a week. It took the wind out of my sails. After that I have often wondered about goggles of some sort for trucking through the pucker brush.

Thoughts?

I have a helmet and goggles for night travel.

My nephew works for Hex Armor. They carry safety glasses, googles, as well as a whole line of gloves giving various levels of protection depending on what your needs are. I have several different glasses and gloves and have yet to find any issues with any of them. I know they sell thru Fastenal. Probably other companies as well.

Eye protection is not optional. If there is any chance you can damage an eye you need to protect them. I wear glasses that have safety lens but for some activities, I wear safety glasses. I have them scattered throughout my shop, I keep several pair in my range bags, and I have a pair on my lawnmower.
I keep my glasses in white cotton socks. It protects them and keeps them clean plus everyone has a spare sock.
When you said you were traveling fast did that mean you were riding something? If that's the case then a helmet and full-face shield would be mandatory.

I wear my eyeglasses with polycarbonate lenses. I figure for most things they're protective enough. I have full frame prescription safety glasses through my job that I occasionally wear around home if I'm doing something that I think warrants the extra protection.

Those safety glasses saved my left eye at work once. I was using a cordless drill with a wobble head and a 3/4" socket in a tight space. The socket slipped off and flew right into my left lens, knocking off my glasses and popping the lens out. It put a huge scrape in the lens, but it probably would have tore my eyeball up if I hadn't had those glasses on...

My "sunglasses" are 3M safety glasses in gray, my cloudy day glasses are 3M in clear. In bulk, around 3 bucks a pop, and bad as my eyes are they are better than a swinging stick.
Yes. Many people do not know that because of OSHA, the cost of safety glasses are greatly subsidized by the Fed. Go to any place that sells bolts.
All of us working-stiffs (shown above) have been schooled that there is NO REASON for anyone to suffer an eye-injury anymore except for stupidity or being stubborn.
I had at least 8 different pair of "eye-protection" in my work-truck on any given day...and sacrificed many to save my eyes.
Unlike my eyes, they were disposable.

Last edited:
I wear glasses all the time. I think I was born wearing them. A few years ago I bent over in the garden and a small stick I did not see slipped right up under my glasses and into my eye. The scratched cornea was very painful, and I had to put prescription antibiotic ointment in my eye for several weeks afterwards.

Thus, I vote for goggles. Safety glasses (especially the ones with side shields) may be reasonable for most tasks. But if you're out in the sticks (ha, ha!) I'd go for goggles now. That being said, when I shoot I just wear my regular glasses for protection. IMHO they are good enough for that use. For any kind of powered machinery, even the lowly Dremel Tool, it's goggles for me. And I hate goggles - I can't see crap through them usually.

You can't be to careful with your eyes. Especially in a SHTF situation, or if you are out in the back country, even the woods close to home, getting professional help due to injury would be very hard.

I wear glasses now as well, so maybe a little more relaxed. I have always been a stickler for safety glasses at work, or while shooting, and have several pairs for different purposes.

i wear safety sunglasses all the time. i have had hard time adding to collection locally this year. reading glasses as well.

Latest posts

Back