Fabric tractor cover

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Double R maybe a pic of the tractor would help us come up with ideas. Or at least maybe a description of the length, height, and width in feet.

Bird poop is kind of something that most of us just had to deal with and didn't worry about that much around here. You just kind of lived with it unless it was on the seat...

Bird poop eats the paint just like on cars. That’s what we’re trying to control. That and the tractor looks like a holstein in days and I refuse to take it out like that. To darn big to bathe weekly to keep the paint from getting destroyed. Remember the big blue tractor that was hauled on the semi? That’s the one I’m trying to protect. Especially after all I’ve been through with it and the previous one (if you remember the years of drama).

Have you considered taking up falconry?

Ben
Yes! 🤣

Umm, I just had a thought, and I'm not sure how available it is right now, but what about screwing soffit to the wood above the tractor? Vinyl soffit would be strong enough to withstand a lot of wind.
Going to look into this. Thanks!

Also...a but labourish perhaps...but how about put waxing it, help seal up the paint/less porous for bonding? And a fake owl to deter pests?

It’s waxed. That’s all that’s saved it so far. A ton of work to keep it that way. We got a family of real owls. Sometimes even see them snatch a bird or two but doesn’t keep them from nesting/roosting in the barn.

Any material that rubs on the paint will wear it. The chicken wire block is a good idea. Along the same line some 1/2 inch hardware cloth would keep the smaller birds out. If poop remains a problem you could use vinyl between two layers of wire.

I think that the mice would love you to use fabric.
If the tractor is not in and out a lot, why not use a canvas tarp? I got a really big one for my big truck. I put pool noodles on the hood to protect the hood ornaments and removed antennas. Was happy with that, then custom ordered a really big Garage In A Box. Tractor Supply may not carry either item in the store, but online and free ship to store works nice. About 10 years ago, the canvas was over a hundred, and the Garage In A Box nearly 500. Those garages can work very well. Sandbags on the frame all around and we’ve never had an issue with wind.
Lousy picture, but you can see it’s a decent sized vehicle, tall and wide, and I can drive right in. Easy to assemble, and #hould also be put up inside another structure, like your barn, if possible.
EFF4AB21-E18E-42C3-B6E8-B2DF90425375.jpeg

Last edited:
I was thinking that by the bolt. I saw it in flannel and was thinking that may be good to use since it’s “inside” and “soft”.

I don't think flannel would hold up, and would probably let liquid droppings through. I would suggest a strong cotton duck fabric - the kind used for outdoor upholstery, or even canvas. You could also use large tarps and sew them into the shape of a tractor cover - just reinforce the seams well, and maybe use straps to hold it in place.

Back