Face Masks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was in my local Ace Hardware store and saw a display of RZ Masks. I have some N95's, but these caught my eye. I bought one of the F2's. I know they are on Amazon. I paid $36.99 for mine. I am going to get more in the not too distant future and more filters. You might want them for your family. There are probably better and more expensive face masks. What do you think?

I copied the technical information, and didn't realize it went so long.

https://rzmask.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3JXtBRC8ARIsAEBHg4lq51ppQI32-TUaKa_eLJlH5zK-YN-8zGSKD_7fL6R9XKUO-AATI6UaAjTwEALw_w
  • TECHNICAL INFORMATION
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-01_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-02_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-03_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-09_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-10_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-11_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-12_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-13_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-14_2048x2048.jpg
RZ_Mask_Technical_Specification_Sheet_full_-15_2048x2048.jpg

If you are after good protection get a full face mask that covers your eyes, nose and mouth with replaceable screw-on filters. Any small mask that has fine filtration is going to become clogged fast.
If the need arises you can connect a pressurized air supply to a full face mask and you will never be able to do that with a nose pinch mask.

If you are after good protection get a full face mask that covers your eyes, nose and mouth with replaceable screw-on filters. Any small mask that has fine filtration is going to become clogged fast.
If the need arises you can connect a pressurized air supply to a full face mask and you will never be able to do that with a nose pinch mask.
Thank you. Can you make a recommendation for one, please?

Thank you. Can you make a recommendation for one, please?
I picked up 4 surplus military masks for cheap. The gives us each a spare filter. I expect their primary usage to be to exfiltrate in case of a fire so not much chance of ever using them. Hardware store, paint store, Uline, Amazon, there are many places to find good full face masks for industrial use.

I picked up 4 surplus military masks for cheap. The gives us each a spare filter. I expect their primary usage to be to exfiltrate in case of a fire so not much chance of ever using them. Hardware store, paint store, Uline, Amazon, there are many places to find good full face masks for industrial use.
Thank you. I will look.

The second one resembles one that one of my neighbors threw away, minus the filters. It looks like one that would be easier to see out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Particulate Masks have a limited use, they are useful for what they are designed for, but they would not help in a Nuclear
attack or a Volcanic Eruption. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you shouldn't have them, but having full Face Mask is also necessary

On full face masks you might want to try it before you really need it. Because of the filtering it can make it a little harder to breath. If you already have breathing issues or are closterphobic it can be a little overwhelming at first. I found it a little hard to catch my breath and that was just sitting on the couch.

There is a sturdy zippered pouch to keep the mask in. I am going to put mine in my BOB. Much better than an N95, but a couple of them could be kept in the pouch as well.

Thanks Weedy, we are still eaiting fro mask,got bacteria wipes to day in mail, gloves alreadycame couple days or so ago.
May not be any mask left to buy.

Hubby has one new resperator mask left from auto painting and a couple used ones we can use may work. They are for chemcal fumes so probably ok. Plus a couple surgical mask.

Hubby has one new resperator mask left from auto painting and a couple used ones we can use may work. They are for chemcal fumes so probably ok. Plus a couple surgical mask.

Meerkat,
Just because they filter for chemical fumes does not mean they would be effective for viruses or germs. Research the filters you have and also see what other replacement filters are available for it. Also depending on the type of bug don't forget they can get in you thru mucus membranes like your eyes. That's a reason a gas mask fully covers the face and not just the nose and mouth.

Meerkat,
Just because they filter for chemical fumes does not mean they would be effective for viruses or germs. Research the filters you have and also see what other replacement filters are available for it. Also depending on the type of bug don't forget they can get in you thru mucus membranes like your eyes. That's a reason a gas mask fully covers the face and not just the nose and mouth.

I was thinking the same thing about the other passageways threw the eyes and even ears. But as it is now don't think will find any whole face resperaters plus those who do have them will have one hell of a world to surviw in so not as worried about it since only the well prepared and strong will survive anyway if it gets pandemic stage.

We'll just hang aound long as we can and 'just watch the river flow' I guess.:doghouse:

This report is based on the flu but it is still interesting. It compares the N95 mask versus a basic medical mask.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31479137

Conclusions and Relevance:
Among outpatient health care personnel, N95 respirators vs medical masks as worn by participants in this trial resulted in no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

JAMA. 2019 Sep 3;322(9):824-833. doi: 10.1001/jama.2019.11645.
N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza Among Health Care Personnel: A Randomized Clinical Trial.

Abstract
Importance:
Clinical studies have been inconclusive about the effectiveness of N95 respirators and medical masks in preventing health care personnel (HCP) from acquiring workplace viral respiratory infections.

Objective:
To compare the effect of N95 respirators vs medical masks for prevention of influenza and other viral respiratory infections among HCP.

Design, Setting, and Participants:
A cluster randomized pragmatic effectiveness study conducted at 137 outpatient study sites at 7 US medical centers between September 2011 and May 2015, with final follow-up in June 2016. Each year for 4 years, during the 12-week period of peak viral respiratory illness, pairs of outpatient sites (clusters) within each center were matched and randomly assigned to the N95 respirator or medical mask groups.

Interventions:
Overall, 1993 participants in 189 clusters were randomly assigned to wear N95 respirators (2512 HCP-seasons of observation) and 2058 in 191 clusters were randomly assigned to wear medical masks (2668 HCP-seasons) when near patients with respiratory illness.

Main Outcomes and Measures:
The primary outcome was the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza. Secondary outcomes included incidence of acute respiratory illness, laboratory-detected respiratory infections, laboratory-confirmed respiratory illness, and influenzalike illness. Adherence to interventions was assessed.

Results:
Among 2862 randomized participants (mean [SD] age, 43 [11.5] years; 2369 [82.8%]) women), 2371 completed the study and accounted for 5180 HCP-seasons. There were 207 laboratory-confirmed influenza infection events (8.2% of HCP-seasons) in the N95 respirator group and 193 (7.2% of HCP-seasons) in the medical mask group (difference, 1.0%, [95% CI, -0.5% to 2.5%]; P = .18) (adjusted odds ratio [OR], 1.18 [95% CI, 0.95-1.45]). There were 1556 acute respiratory illness events in the respirator group vs 1711 in the mask group (difference, -21.9 per 1000 HCP-seasons [95% CI, -48.2 to 4.4]; P = .10); 679 laboratory-detected respiratory infections in the respirator group vs 745 in the mask group (difference, -8.9 per 1000 HCP-seasons, [95% CI, -33.3 to 15.4]; P = .47); 371 laboratory-confirmed respiratory illness events in the respirator group vs 417 in the mask group (difference, -8.6 per 1000 HCP-seasons [95% CI, -28.2 to 10.9]; P = .39); and 128 influenzalike illness events in the respirator group vs 166 in the mask group (difference, -11.3 per 1000 HCP-seasons [95% CI, -23.8 to 1.3]; P = .08). In the respirator group, 89.4% of participants reported "always" or "sometimes" wearing their assigned devices vs 90.2% in the mask group.

Conclusions and Relevance:
Among outpatient health care personnel, N95 respirators vs medical masks as worn by participants in this trial resulted in no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

Trial Registration:
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01249625.

Thank you @Sentry18 This just made my heart rate come down a bit. Was very concerned I was just out with people yesterday bulk buying supplies in a surgical mask for nothing. I can not afford to get the flu let alone the new virus. I rarely go out during flu season anymore but when I do I’m wearing the surgical masks my doctor said to wear. I still have my concerns but this does ease them a bit. Thanks

On full face masks you might want to try it before you really need it. Because of the filtering it can make it a little harder to breath. If you already have breathing issues or are closterphobic it can be a little overwhelming at first. I found it a little hard to catch my breath and that was just sitting on the couch.
I have asthma and have trouble breathing with a mask on. I feel like I'm sufforcating.

Attachments

• face-mask-pattern.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The hospital where I worked required everyone that did not get a flu shot to wear a mask when they were in a patient area. It was purely for show and used punishment for those that didn't get the shot. Surgical masks don't protect you from viruses. They do help reduce hand to mouth contact but your eyes are still unprotected and that's a pathway for viruses. Handwashing is still the best method for protecting yourself.

Since this thread is about face masks, I am going to share some stuff about making your own. They will not be as good at protecting us as the full sized industrial ones, but they can make some difference.

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

This pattern is for one that is similar to surgical masks. https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/facemask-a-picture-tutorial/

Weedy, I didn't see ties on those masks. If you make them, try putting elastic ear loops on rather than ties, as tied masks are notorious for sliding off your face!

Last edited:
Weedy, I didn't see ties on those masks. If you make them, try putting elastic ear loops on rather than ties, as tied masks are notorious for sliding off your face!
One of the challenges is that everyone is different. I made loops for the first mask and then had to adjust the loops to fit my face. I cut the elastic according to the instructions and it was too large for my face. I fished it around and tied shorter loops that worked. For these handmade masks, people will have to adjust them to fit themselves.

I was thinking about the lists of preps that you see. One of the things that you see on lists is bandana's, because they do have many uses. I know they can be tied around you face and make a face mask of sorts. If it hangs loose at the bottom, it may not provide enough protection. If it is folded too many times, it may not allow for easy breathing. If a bandana is used for a face mask, it would take a little practice to figure it out.

I was also thinking that back in the cops and robbers days, robbers often wore a bandana over their face to hide their identity. So, not a good thing to wear a bandana over your face if you are going shopping, because you might be mistaken for a robber, maybe. Just some thoughts about alternatives for masks. Some of us may be in a place where we have no face masks, but may have some bandanas. I bought a few several years ago in various colors.

Latest posts

Back