Face Masks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always been doubtful of face masks in general. Even if you have one that is form fitting, and allows little to nothing in, how long will those filter cartridges be effective? How do you know they are filtering properly?

I saw an interesting interview with a doctor from Toronto discussing the Corona virus. When he was questioned about face masks he said they really do very little. They are to loose, and air can get through on every side. He said where they are effective is keeping you from touching your face, especially around your nose and mouth. In his opinion there is a higher likelihood of you touching something that is contaminated; then touching your face. You ingest the contamination.

I guess they are better than nothing, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time and money thinking they will protect you.

This post has really been focused on viruses, but a face mask will NOT protect you from radiation. some had mentioned using one in a Nuclear event. It will protect you from particulate, not radiation.

I have always been doubtful of face masks in general. Even if you have one that is form fitting, and allows little to nothing in, how long will those filter cartridges be effective? How do you know they are filtering properly?

I saw an interesting interview with a doctor from Toronto discussing the Corona virus. When he was questioned about face masks he said they really do very little. They are to loose, and air can get through on every side. He said where they are effective is keeping you from touching your face, especially around your nose and mouth. In his opinion there is a higher likelihood of you touching something that is contaminated; then touching your face. You ingest the contamination.

I guess they are better than nothing, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time and money thinking they will protect you.

This post has really been focused on viruses, but a face mask will NOT protect you from radiation. some had mentioned using one in a Nuclear event. It will protect you from particulate, not radiation.
I have my concerns about how effective they are also, but the piece about keeping you from touching your face is important. Many people touch around the eyes. I am aware that I do. Right now I want to reach in and touch, but i am working on my awareness and washing my face as an option.

That said, even though the face masks are not 100%, I believe that they are better than nothing, and who will really know how effective they are? An important part is goggles for eyes. People are scrambling for face masks, but how many people are getting eye goggles?

I picked up 4 surplus military masks for cheap. The gives us each a spare filter. I expect their primary usage to be to exfiltrate in case of a fire so not much chance of ever using them. Hardware store, paint store, Uline, Amazon, there are many places to find good full face masks for industrial use.
I am curious where you found them? Online? We have a couple Army-Navy surplus stores in the area and I plan to see if they have any.

I had blood work done yesterday and boxes of face masks ( the rectangular type with elastic for the ears) were everywhere at the hospital where I go to get the work done.
I was also asked if I had been out of the country in the last 28 days when I registered to get the work done.

Now the masks and hand sanitizer is out because we have the "reg" flu rampant here in WV
But the 28 days question is new 😟😷

An important part is goggles for eyes. People are scrambling for face masks, but how many people are getting eye goggles?

I hate goggles, they fog over, get hot, etc etc. Wore them for years behind a face shield in a chemical operation. These might be an option if you don't need complete protection. I wear them at the range, weedeating, etc etc and they will certainly keep your fingers away from your eyes.
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.40.33 PM.png

I am curious where you found them? Online? We have a couple Army-Navy surplus stores in the area and I plan to see if they have any.
I got them off the web when was looking for surplus magazines. Sorry, it's been about a year and I just don't remember. They were surplus Polish masks if memory serves.

The hospital masks serve well enough for most things, are best when put on the ill person, and leak around the edges. N95 masks are a far better option. Even better would be a full face mask.

For radiation what you want is to stop the dust particles from entering your lungs so any mask will help. The better the mask the more effective your protection will be. Some radiation, gamma, can be stopped by your skin but if you inhale radioactive particles they sit in your lungs and damage your cells. Masks are less than a perfect answer but they can seriously help. As above some will help better than others.

For CRBN the best would be to stay away. Having to go out in it the the best I have is masks, gloves, eye wear, Tyvek suit or rain gear, rubber boots.

The skin can stop alpha and beta particles but gamma goes straight through you! The dust you have to worry about is the active radioactive remnants of the bomb. Since less than 10% is actually converted to energy there is a lot of stuff left over. Fallout is the dust that is pulled into the blast and irradiated by the bomb. With an air burst that fallout is limited to nearly nothing.

The skin can stop alpha and beta particles but gamma goes straight through you! The dust you have to worry about is the active radioactive remnants of the bomb. Since less than 10% is actually converted to energy there is a lot of stuff left over. Fallout is the dust that is pulled into the blast and irradiated by the bomb. With an air burst that fallout is limited to nearly nothing.
Oops! Got that backwards, thanks.

I saw a photo of people in China that cut out the bottom of a 5 gal water jug and put that over themselves.
I've got a bunch of N95's, but have been thinking about my full face motorcycle helmet.
Swim goggles are fairly airtight.

Masks are made for the infected to wear. It prevents the spread of the disease. We humans are better than average at spreading the virus ourselves. We are constantly wiping our eyes and sticking our hands in our mouths and noses when we touch everything around us.
That is why washing our hands is the best way to fight the virus.

Today daughter and I went to get pedicures, something we haven't done in years. The woman who did her pedicure had on a face mask, like one of the patterns that is available for free online. I asked her where she got hers. Vietnam. She was Vietnamese, as are many people who do nails. I don't know why she was wearing it. Was she sick or trying to not to get sick?
face mask-pattern_153x.jpg

I saw a photo of people in China that cut out the bottom of a 5 gal water jug and put that over themselves.
I've got a bunch of N95's, but have been thinking about my full face motorcycle helmet.
Swim goggles are fairly airtight.
I actually like that idea! I need to keep looking for 5 gallon water jugs for free. I can buy them with water, but free is good, too.

It seems that the cloth home made masks are now okay, because of the shortage of the disposable ones. According to this article, cloth ones used to be what was used before disposable ones were made.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/...6Ju_3mCHEgww6NjwV5hVVj2nd4SJpgGdPl5KI2rYwDTUY
EVANSVILLE, Ind. — Citing shortages, Deaconess Health System, including Henderson's Methodist Health, has asked the public to sew face masks for staff fighting coronavirus.

"This does follow CDC protocols that you can find on their website that if all other supplies are not available, that handmade masks that meet certain criteria are acceptable," Deaconess spokeswoman Becca Scott said.

The release with the video, pattern and instructions was posted to the Deaconess Facebook page Thursday morning and is available at www.deaconess.com/masks. A PDF of the pattern is available here and embedded at the bottom of this article.

Latest posts

Back