FaceBook or Not

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not into this new age society or the ploitical biases or bowing.

I stayed on because the kids post grandbaby update and pictures. I am still a memeber. BUT I have not visited that site for many months now. Getting alerts, I only visited the ones from the kids. The kids now sent us individual texts. I was more interested in everyones updates verses the resharing of whatever. . . It just got ridiculous and not something I wanted to be a part of any more.

More fights are started with Facebook than I care to think about. With the country divided like it is Facebook only divides more.
There are members of my wife's family that are not speaking and most likely never will again.
People will post things they would never say to your face and someone else will disagree and it's off to the fights.
I do not need the drama and I will never post on Facebook again.
A couple of years ago I opened an account because it was the only way I would hear about some family members. After a week I posted "if any of you ever have anything important to say to me just call" and then I deleted my account.
I really wish my wife would give up Facebook but she is addicted.

I'm on to communicate with my brother in the Philippines, some winter camping buddies communicate there and it's how I find out about get togethers. Also belong to a couple foraging pages. Some of those folks I know personally in real life so to speak.

When PETA bought voting shares and started shutting down AG pages I shut down my account permanently for a second time. Haven’t been back since and won’t under any circumstances go back after the censoring they have been doing. Took me years to go back after the 1st time I closed my account and I quickly regretted starting a new account but like others I wanted to be in touch with family but it cost to much in the end.

I stayed on because the kids post grandbaby update and pictures. I am still a memeber. BUT I have not visited that site for many months now. Getting alerts, I only visited the ones from the kids. The kids now sent us individual texts. I was more interested in everyones updates verses the resharing of whatever. . . It just got ridiculous and not something I wanted to be a part of any more.

Thats why we went back,but it is just too political and bias and then too much is tolerated to get long. Not being liberals but indirectly bowing at the altors of it.

I'm on to communicate with my brother in the Philippines, some winter camping buddies communicate there and it's how I find out about get togethers. Also belong to a couple foraging pages. Some of those folks I know personally in real life so to speak.

Wish we would have just left it like it was with family, but isolation made us join back up, if it was just buddies like you it would be ok, but its not. Kids trying to go along to get along, and its pitiful.

When PETA bought voting shares and started shutting down AG pages I shut down my account permanently for a second time. Haven’t been back since and won’t under any circumstances go back after the censoring they have been doing. Took me years to go back after the 1st time I closed my account and I quickly regretted starting a new account but like others I wanted to be in touch with family but it cost to much in the end.

DoubleR I may as well have written this.Me too!!!

Facebook has the good and bad. . . It is very nice to see pics of grandbabies, keep up with kids and some family stories , BUT the rest is garbage to me. . . The reposting of ideas and politics. I would rather read about personal updates and not the trends of society.

I know zero about Facebook, never been there, I think it is sad they have substantially sucked the life out of many internet forums, but that is social evolution.

I'm still on Facebook, but I actually can't tell you when I last posted something. Maybe 4 years ago, or longer. The only thing I do is check through all the gardening, cooking and homesteading groups I've joined. Picked up some good information along the way, but too often even those posts derail into political, racial or moral arguments which is why I just read and never post. Don't need to actually be drawn into that.

I've never had a facebook acct. But husband does, so I look at his. Lately it's all political relatives posting one way or another. I am signed on to Parler. But just read it, and not post. It's kind of weird to navigate.
And then there's you guys. You're my social network.

I've never had a facebook acct. But husband does, so I look at his. Lately it's all political relatives posting one way or another. I am signed on to Parler. But just read it, and not post. It's kind of weird to navigate.
And then there's you guys. You're my social network.

Yall are mine too and I should have left it that way. Losing my free speech is hard ot get use to so its best I stay away from temtations to speak.

There used to be people who would send me friend requests, like my un- niece, for instance. Since she is not likely to change, steals from family on Christmas Eve and any other day of the year and lies as a habit and addiction, uses drugs, has lost custody of her three children, all from different fathers, I see no need to friend her. So, if you're talking about that kind of thing, well, unfriend and block. Those kinds of options on FB are there for a reason.
Per the request of military moms, I was told I should put my account on lockdown, so I did. It is hard to get through to me. I have a lot of "friends", buddies from high school, ETC. I am happy to report that many of them are not liberal nuthouses.
It is not anything like a forum for me there, plus there are a couple of support groups I rely on and my church leaders post on FB. For those things I am grateful. Eventually I will stop going there. Seems kind of weird to unfriend my own extended family members and since they don't talk to me leading up to the ELECTION, there's not much interaction with them....

I am active on Facebook. This is what I have figured out over the years: I never post or participate in anything political or religious or controversial. I have too many friends and family who are all over the map with these topics. Let them be. I don't have to argue or fight or try to tell anyone they are wrong. For older people, it is best to scroll past all of that. I don't read it. I don't look at it. I don't care what people think about this or that. I am not interested. I am not an arguer. I am not interested in what people think about this politician or that politician, what this person said or did. None of it is worth getting me riled up and potentially giving me high blood pressure and losing my relationships with people I care about. When stuff comes up that I find annoying, I hide it or mute it. I block people who are annoying. I have at least a dozen people blocked. I never see anything from or about them.

One of my cousins builds AR-15's for some group he supports. One day he showed the parts of his next build. One of our other cousins decided she was not happy about him and his guns and made a comment. His response, "Don't go there, cuz." Well, they both have their own opinions and ideas, but they are on Facebook as cousins to stay connected about life. His parents are in their 90's. He lost two sisters to cancer a couple days apart a couple years ago. Her parents are both deceased. That is where the connection is important. Their political views are not important in this. We see each other at funerals, sadly, but we stay connected because we are related and want to stay in the know about each other.

What am I interested in on Facebook? I am interested in keeping up with the lives of friends and family, and some events. I participate in groups around subjects I am interested in: my high school group, home town group, neighborhood groups, family groups, former students and their lives, sewing, preparedness, canning, cooking, gardening, Czech and German genealogy.

This past week, two different college friends had big events in their lives. One lost her husband of 45 years. The other moved from Montana to Missouri. How did I find out? Private messages on Facebook. Before Facebook, I had had no contact with my friend who moved for more than 40 years. I hadn't seen her since college. I had no idea what was going on in her life. I didn't even know how to get ahold of her. I did have contact with my friend who lost her husband, but only a few times in 40 years. I can have easy contact with these two people and many more any day of the week now. I can see the photos of their families, them, their lives.

And the people who I went to high school and college with who are not on Facebook are mostly lost. I have too many people that I have known to stay connected in any other way.

Facebook doesn't work for some people. Some people use it in a very limited way. It is a tool in my life that keeps me up to date with friends and family. But I am not participating in everything that comes up on it.

It depends on who they are. If that is their thing, and it annoys you, unfriend them. Then you never see that stuff.

Weedy it is easier to just leave.
I'm to tolerate all their friends and actions yet my beliefs are old fashioned aka clueless.
FaceBook is just not for me nor has it ever been.

I only use Facebook to stay in contact with family and friends spread all across the world. Puppies, weddings, and stuff. Absolutely nothing more.

Weedy it is easier to just leave.
I'm to tolerate all their friends and actions yet my beliefs are old fashioned aka clueless.
FaceBook is just not for me nor has it ever been.
I understand. For me, I am aware of some of what is going on in the world. It is the reality of life in this world. It is not me or my life or my lifestyle. Like my grandmother, I learn about people, show them respect, and let God be their judge, not me, and pray for them.

I deleted my account years ago because FB was a time vampire - I wasted hours browsing nonsense.

FB is a vehicle for people to behave badly. I don't like what Big Tech is doing with censoring, but the biggest problem with social media are people who are unable to restrain themselves.

I don't use it now, but I did set up an account once. That was ten years ago when my daughter was doing "study abroad" in Tasmania. So we got to see pictures of her adventures there via Facebook. After she returned home I abandoned Facebook. Then for my 40th high school reunion I was on briefly to send information to others about the reunion. That was five years ago, and I abandoned Facebook again after the reunion was over. I imagine that in five more years, when my 50th high school reunion rolls around I might end up on Facebook again for a few weeks. Assuming my login still works. My account has nothing posted and everything is locked down as tight as I could lock it. Nobody has permission to see anything. These online monster tech companies have a habit of unlocking things that were locked over time as they release new software, so I should go back and review my settings sometime. However, if I find something unexpectedly unlocked that's not of much concern since I have nothing posted for anybody to see anyway.

I understand. For me, I am aware of some of what is going on in the world. It is the reality of life in this world. It is not me or my life or my lifestyle. Like my grandmother, I learn about people, show them respect, and let God be their judge, not me, and pray for them.

We have large families consisting mostly of young people under 30. Most are conservatives who go along to get along with the liberal relatives.
I have no reason to judge is true but nor should I be judged. The radicals rule now and thats just the facts.After being on FB for awhile I'm the one who needs the prayers.They don't want your prayers or morals they want you to have theirsBow down to their gods and agendas.
Look what we have accepted so far, has it helped or made us more Godly?

We are on it, keep in touch with all our family...I hate the FB police...LOL....you post something political and they pop up saying it is not true when you know it is...but I enjoy looking at recipes and other items on it...

Latest posts

Back