Fall gardening, what gets planted now?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've planted fall tater slips before. Cover the trench in leaves and let them over winter, they come up in the spring on time. Roots that year were best I've ever saw and had lots of nice taters. Side benefit was that using the leaves to cover them, the taters came out almost perfectly clean and smooth.
Garlic of course is another. But mainly our fall crops are planted in July/August for harvest on Oct. Cabbage, brussel sprouts, brocholi, cauliflour, late beans, late corn. sometime put out some tomatos late and get some coming in before frost kills the plants. I harvest any green ones left on, wrap them in newspaper, place in a box in the cool dark basement, and check them every couple weeks for ripening. I've had ripe tomatos for Christmas that way before.
Kinda sad, I haven't planted anything for fall harvest this year.

I've planted fall tater slips before. Cover the trench in leaves and let them over winter, they come up in the spring on time. Roots that year were best I've ever saw and had lots of nice taters. Side benefit was that using the leaves to cover them, the taters came out almost perfectly clean and smooth.
Garlic of course is another. But mainly our fall crops are planted in July/August for harvest on Oct. Cabbage, brussel sprouts, brocholi, cauliflour, late beans, late corn. sometime put out some tomatos late and get some coming in before frost kills the plants. I harvest any green ones left on, wrap them in newspaper, place in a box in the cool dark basement, and check them every couple weeks for ripening. I've had ripe tomatos for Christmas that way before.
Kinda sad, I haven't planted anything for fall harvest this year.
I have never planted anything for fall harvest. I must need a calendar or something that hurts me as a reminder to do so! I would love to have a bunch of greens to harvest in the next few months.

Having a big calendar helps to fill out task that need to be done at a given time. I keep a notebook of my plantings and when I work out the rows. But by early to mid summer work takes over and just not enough time to keep up with it. I really need to sit down in the winter and lay out month by month what I want to get done.
At least that sounds like a good idea. Knowin me I'd forget to look at it. Dang it missed it again! :dunno: :cry:

I get an email every other month from a gardening web site with hints and reminders of what to plant in my zone. I deleated the last one because we don't have a garden this year but I can post the info when I get the next one if your interested.

Having a big calendar helps to fill out task that need to be done at a given time. I keep a notebook of my plantings and when I work out the rows. But by early to mid summer work takes over and just not enough time to keep up with it. I really need to sit down in the winter and lay out month by month what I want to get done.
At least that sounds like a good idea. Knowin me I'd forget to look at it. Dang it missed it again! :dunno: :cry:
I know people who keep gardening journals. I think it is a great idea, but I know me, I would start it and in a few days put it down and pick it back up weeks, months or years later.

Found an old email. https://www.gardenate.com/
You enter your country and zone.
Screenshot_20180919-193002.jpg

EXACTLY ! We do the same thing. I put it off till it is harder and less productive at times,like most of the time.

I've only grown carrots once, our soil is far to rocky and my carrots had some interesting shapes.
I have tried to grow carrots many times with some luck, but not much. The best luck was last year when they were planted into pure compost. The soil had been clay and big rocks. We dug all of the clay and rocks out and made a ditch, refilled it with pure compost. Those carrots did very well.

Latest posts

Back