1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall Trap and Snare Check

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Trapping' started by Peanut, Nov 4, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 4, 2019 #1

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I went through some of my snares and leghold traps today checking for problems… I have a couple of dozen leghold traps and twice that many snares. I like the coil spring traps. I’ve no had problems with them at all. Companies I've done business with, no complaints about any of them…

F&T Fur Harvester's Trading Post https://www.fntpost.com/
    Kaatz Brothers https://www.kaatzbros.com
    Cumberland's Northwest Trappers Supply, Inc. https://www.nwtrappers.com/
    The Snare Shop https://www.snareshop.com/

I buy the following legholds traps, they are plenty big enough and small enough for anything in my neck of the woods.

Legholds
    Size #1 Sleepy Creek Double Jaw Coil Spring Trap - 4" jaw spread, for use in taking muskrat, weasel, mink, fisher, squirrel, opossum and skunk

Size #1 1/2 Minnesota Brand (MB-450) cast jaws coil spring trap - 5” jaws for bobcat, coyote, fox and raccoon

Size #1 3/4 Sleepy Creek offset jaws coil spring traps has a 5 9/16" jaw spread, for use in taking badger, coyote, bobcat, fisher, fox, lynx, nutria, otter and coon

Conibear Traps - #1000 Sleepy Creek Double Spring Body Grip Trap 10" x 10" jaw spread, for taking beaver, bobcat, lynx and otter

I have two snare sizes I constructed. 1/16 and 1/8 out of 7x7 aircraft cable (purchased 500ft of each). I purchased a half dozen 3/64 aircraft cable snares from the Snare Shop just to see how they were constructed. When I originally purchased/constructed all my snares and traps I boiled them in trap die and then again in trap & snare dip scent sealant. This has worked well for me using them here on the farm to get rid of pesky problem causing critters.

1/8th inch aircraft cable has a multitude of uses on a farm. Like the back of my truck to secure items in the bed that might be there when I shop in town… ramp, chainsaw etc. I made up new 30” loops today for securing extra items.

Photos – My trap box, contains legholds and 1/8-inch snares (small snares I keep in my “go box”).

Truck bed security cable…

Trap gear (1).jpg Trap gear (2).jpg Trap gear (3).jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. Nov 4, 2019 #2

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

@Peanut , do you still do some trapping ?

I haven't done any since I was in high school.

Jim

Sentry18 and Peanut like this.
  3. Nov 4, 2019 #3

camo2460

camo2460

camo2460

Awesome Friend Neighbor

You have a nice selection of Traps and Snares. You probably already know this, but You Tube has a number of Videos showing how to make your Snare Components such as Slide Locks. Interesting and can save Money.

4. Nov 4, 2019 #4

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

@phideaux I believe I'm too old for cold water! :D

These days I only go after nuisance animals.

As a teen I trapped a good bit, a little extra christmas cash when there were few opportunities for a country boy.

Thanks @camo2460 but my plate is already full. I did not know about it but will keep it in mind.:)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  5. Nov 4, 2019 #5

camo2460

camo2460

camo2460

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I used to Trap a lot when I was a Kid and into my Teens, but I quit Trapping when the Fur Prices dropped. It used to be that I could get $8.50 for a Prime Muskrat Pelt, $25-35 for a Prime Coon Pelt, but when the Price for a Muskrat dropped to $1.25 I quit, it wasn't worth the hardship.

6. Nov 5, 2019 #6

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

I was digging in the shop this morning for an electric motor when I found these. These old victor's were my grandpa's. He taught me how to trap using these. I remember setting them many times... brought back a memory or three!

Traps victor_v1.jpg

camo2460, Bacpacker, phideaux and 2 others like this.
  7. Nov 5, 2019 #7

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

I have many traps but now only use the couple gopher traps.

phideaux, Peanut and Sentry18 like this.