Favorite Christian Music

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I am weird, as my favorites are from the great classical composers:

Luther
Bach
Hayden
Handel
Mozart

etc.

Weedy; Opinions on these ?

Something about the innocence of children giving praise. Theres hope still it would seem for our future.

This one makes me sad in many ways.

I'm not sure why actually other than what we are leaving future generations possibly.
Yes, children singing praise to God is special.
I know both of those first two songs and have for many years. They are both in my music collection. The second one is a song that is on my Christian music playlist. I'm going to add the first one now as well.

The second song is a song by Mercy Me. That is the version that I listen to on my playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_lrrq_opng
A church that I attended for a while played songs like this, not hymns, per se. I can listen to many WOW CD's and hear the songs we heard and sang at church, praising and worshipping God at the beginning of the service. I grew up on hymns, but what I know is that God wants to be praised and worshipped. He inhabits the songs of worship to him. This kind of music, for me, is easier to find, easier to listen to, easier to listen to throughout my days and it is also the kind of music that plays in my head sometimes when I wake up in the morning.

I know that there is Christian music that sometimes makes me cry. Some days I am really touched by a particular song. I don't know that it is sadness for me, but maybe it is. I often wonder if there isn't something deeper, a spiritual encounter? I get that sometimes when I pray or when I read the Bible, I cry as well. Some days I just feel something deeper than I do on other days.

I was reading Psalm 63 recently and had the realization that it was a song that we sang at church. The person who arranged it used to be our music minister when I attended that church. Being a song that I know makes it a great part of scriptures for me to meditate on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIM3W6rSmOIThy Lovingkindness - Psalm 63

Last edited:
I like them as well, but I don't ever wake up in the morning with one of their pieces playing in my head. Modern praise and worship music that I know the words and tune to do play in my head.

I told you I was weird. I woke up this morning with Luther’s A Mighty Fortress is Our God all in my head, pipe organs and a full chorus. :)

For me the music is intertwined with the who, they are the same. The music was done bluegrass style, sometimes in church, in our homes, sometimes in cemeteries or at celebrations… whenever 3 or 4 pickers happened to be at the same place. So, instead of posting a song I thought I’d post the who… all are folks I’ve picked with for many years, some from the time I was little, 7 or 8. Almost all are gone now, can’t think of the music without thinking of them.

View attachment 62811View attachment 62812View attachment 62813

Oh, I’ve enjoyed to the album @SLADE posted many times.
Dat you @Peanut? or is that slade. Judging from your avatar, I thought you had a much longer face 😇

Such a great worship song!
It actually has a little bit of a story with me: The song had been rolling around in my head for a week or so (this was a few years back). I was even out elk hunting and singing it - probably sounded like an elk call 😂 Anyhoo, a few nights later Hubby was scrolling through FB and will listen to a song if someone posts one. He played the above song. I was stunned. We don't usually listen to much Christian music. Who says God doesn't send messages.

During the time I was first on fire for the Lord, my wife & I went to an old Christian book store. This album was the first Christian music I’d ever purchased at 20 years old.

0A254F71-6F5A-4A11-9715-BCB9782E3364.jpeg

I didn’t know what I was buying, I just liked the cover.

We listened to & loved this album so much it stayed on repeat in our Jeep for many short & long trips for years.

It’s a little known UK Christian band that I still have not heard of. They use electric guitars & play a style of music that reminds me of “For King & Country”, just not that big of a band.

These songs stayed in my heart, increased my faith & showed me I can truly enjoy & worship with a style of music this 20 year old liked. Kathie liked it too!

(We had “Burn The Ships”on repeat for the last few years since we saw “For King & Country” live, which was an amazing show!)

Here’s the lyrics to the opening song,

“Unfailing Love”

We wait in hope for You
Our shelter and our truth
You are always faithful to Your word
Consume our hearts and minds
Be the author of this life
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done

In these times of doubt and sorrow
People need a hope to cling to
Your love is an anchor in the storms of life
Forever faithful

Unfailing love
You never let us down
Your promise is alive

When coloured dreams fade to grey (unfailing love)
When the night crowds out the day (unfailing love)
When there's no words left to say
God's love remains ❤️

@Weedygarden I have the same WOW cd - really enjoy those, too! I ended up getting the Casting Crowns album with it, too. A lot of good stuff on there. 👍
I will have to look for one of Casting Crown's albums. Songs like "Who Am I?" are songs that I can play on repeat. It is a song that will play in my head when I am not listening to it.

One of the things about the WOW CD's is that they have introduced me to the best of Christian music and musicians over the years, like Casting Crowns, Michael W. Smith, Mercy Me and so many more. I keep one in my CD player in my car and change them out periodically.

During the time I was first on fire for the Lord, my wife & I went to an old Christian book store. This album was the first Christian music I’d ever purchased at 20 years old.

View attachment 68063

I didn’t know what I was buying, I just liked the cover.

We listened to & loved this album so much it stayed on repeat in our Jeep for many short & long trips for years.

It’s a little known UK Christian band that I still have not heard of. They use electric guitars & play a style of music that reminds me of “For King & Country”, just not that big of a band.

These songs stayed in my heart, increased my faith & showed me I can truly enjoy & worship with a style of music this 20 year old liked. Kathie liked it too!

(We had “Burn The Ships”on repeat for the last few years since we saw “For King & Country” live, which was an amazing show!)

Here’s the lyrics to the opening song,

“Unfailing Love”

We wait in hope for You
Our shelter and our truth
You are always faithful to Your word
Consume our hearts and minds
Be the author of this life
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done

In these times of doubt and sorrow
People need a hope to cling to
Your love is an anchor in the storms of life
Forever faithful

Unfailing love
You never let us down
Your promise is alive

When coloured dreams fade to grey (unfailing love)
When the night crowds out the day (unfailing love)
When there's no words left to say
God's love remains ❤

Have you ever wondered about the history of the song Amazing Grace? Did you know it was written by a man who was once the captain of a slave ship?

I don't know if any of you ever saw the Bill Moyers special on the History of the song Amazing Grace. It came on PBS in the early 90's. I recorded it at the time on VHS. I also pulled out the audio track and recorded it onto a cassette tape that I played for years.

Eventually the vhs and cassette tape degraded and they were lost. For many years I would check for a dvd copy. I finally found a copy a couple of years ago.

This video covers the history of the song and the many styles of singing it here in the US. Over a dozen artists sing on this video. From Marion Williams to the Harlem Boys Choir to Johnny Cash to Judy Collins and many others...

Here is the you tub link to the entire video

Bill Moyers - Story of Amazing Grace 1hr 22minutes

Here is Marion Williams singing Amazing Grace as it appeared on the Bill Moyers special... It appears at the 1hr 10 minute mark... I think her version is simply amazing...

Bill Moyers website and archive
https://billmoyers.com/content/amazing-grace-bill-moyers/

Amazing Grace a.JPG

Last edited:
@Peanut , I had heard about this incredible story. These are the kinds of things that I love, to see how God works in people's lives.

At the end of church service yesterday a young man sang this song. I don't know why, but I just cried while listening to him.

I kinda gave up on religion several years ago when it gave up on me and my marriage and family went south despite my constant prayers, but does Norman Greenbaums Spirit In The Sky count? I know, s#!+ sandwich makes you stronger but the whole killing the family atmosphere pretty much killed any faith I had. What did my kids do wrong to deserve the hand we were all dealt?

It's from a movie but it's a common hymn.
It's sad but beautiful.

I kinda gave up on religion several years ago when it gave up on me and my marriage and family went south despite my constant prayers, but does Norman Greenbaums Spirit In The Sky count? I know, s#!+ sandwich makes you stronger but the whole killing the family atmosphere pretty much killed any faith I had. What did my kids do wrong to deserve the hand we were all dealt?

great song, one of my favorites. dont worry about giving up on religion--i did that years ago and decided all that matters is paying attention to what Christ said and did and His apostles and just Do It. ive learned God is alot simpler than what many religions claim.

sorry for the crap life sandwiches. i d say very few humans deserve such a thing and many times innocents suffer due to others actions. not Gods fault people suck and hurt us or our life falls apart. ive been there too and tho there were times i was mad at God for life being so damn hard, He still helped me thru things and step by step repair my and my kids lives.

all that matters is we ask fior His help to fix what we can and get back up..

im sorry for your struggles and pain, . it does start to get better. like coming out from the rubble after a hurricane. if your mad at God, tell Him. He can handle it. ive yelled at and argued with Him many times over the years, never got zapped by lightening.

Latest posts

Back