favorite gifts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was thinking earlier today about some favorite gifts I received over the years.

The first that comes to mind is a packbasket I got for Christmas when I was a kid, still have it. It came from Cronk's trapping supply out of Maine. Made from hand split ash. Nothing like the mass produced packbaskets I see at the trapping conventions now days.

The wife got me Popcorn Sutton's book Me and My Likker, I really enjoyed that book. When I was a kid my brother got me Shelter, Shacks and Shanties, enjoyed that one too.

My wife gave me some great kids, I reckon I had a bit to do with it too.

My oldest daughter and hubby got me a Stormy Kromer hat this year for Christmas. Been wanting one for years.

several years ago my brother brought me a native bolo from the Philippines, that is a cool knife.

I've gotten a few smoke poles over the years, those are awesome too

memories...

Well, my fondest memories of Christmas, Super Star Barbie came out. We always opened gifts on Christmas Eve when Santa came, didnt get it! Cried all night. My brother got it for me and we didnt open their gifts until Christmas Day! Lol i was 9
A few years later, got my cowboy hat and cowboy boots I wanted. Happy times... happy times.
Then I always loved sewing but life got in the way. Met my hubby now in 98, he got me a sewing machine in 99, never knew how much I loved to sew. Havent looked back since.
So thankful for all the memories

1609813191735.png

My parents gave me an early 1970s Ted Williams "automatic" model 300 shotgun when I was 12 just like this one. I have no idea how they afforded this. I just looked up the price from the spring/summer sears catalog and it listed for $143.88, which was a lot of money back then and we were broke. This was the Sears "bare bones" shotgun. I still have it and occasionally shoot it. During my days living on the cornfields in Nebraska in the 1970, this brought home a lot of pheasants and rabbits. I also used it in Hawaii to hunt wild hogs in the 1980s. This is a pic I pulled from the web. I think Winchester made these for Sears at the time.

For some reason this gift stands out. I do not recall asking for a shotgun, so I suspect they knew what I needed.

Back