Favorite time of the year! Firing up the woodstove.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Fall is my favorite time of the year and we are in perhaps the last good week of fall as we transition to winter. The first snow hit the ground on my property Thursday but it quickly melted. Soon it will stick. The coyotes must know the season is changing as they have been howling each morning about 4-5 am all week.

This week we have fired up the woodstove as the temps have been in the high 20s to the high 40s. All the summer and fall projects have been accomplished. The gardens are all harvested, the berries and the moose meat is in the freezer, the snowblower is mounted on my main side by side, etc. So its time to play. Long rides behind my house looking for critters, big fires in the fire pit, and just doing whatever we want with nothing left on my “to do” list. Life is good, and God is great!

Picture from yesterday’s ride as a fog was moving in from the left blowing in over the pass. Five minutes later we were in a thick fog that lasted 30 minutes before the sun burned away the fog.

79C977CC-7B1E-4BF6-B003-486E2C842657.jpeg

40 above is my coldest thus far this fall, normally I would have had the first hard frost by the 20'th. Tough to vote if I prefer Fall or Spring. I hope this will be a low snow winter.

Fall is my favorite time of the year and we are in perhaps the last good week of fall as we transition to winter. The first snow hit the ground on my property Thursday but it quickly melted. Soon it will stick. The coyotes must know the season is changing as they have been howling each morning about 4-5 am all week.

This week we have fired up the woodstove as the temps have been in the high 20s to the high 40s. All the summer and fall projects have been accomplished. The gardens are all harvested, the berries and the moose meat is in the freezer, the snowblower is mounted on my main side by side, etc. So its time to play. Long rides behind my house looking for critters, big fires in the fire pit, and just doing whatever we want with nothing left on my “to do” list. Life is good, and God is great!

Picture from yesterday’s ride as a fog was moving in from the left blowing in over the pass. Five minutes later we were in a thick fog that lasted 30 minutes before the sun burned away the fog.

View attachment 94892
What a great view. Congrats on gettin all the projects finished. That must feel good

I miss my wood stove, I could cook enough beans and ham for an army
while pickling eggs and baking a brick trout and a couple of taters in my pipe.

Yes I'll explain baking taters in a pipe and brick trout.
I had this piece of 6" stainless steel tubing I had capped at one end and a vented plug on the other. I'd stick three taters in there when I banked for the night, and in the morning I had taters and eggs. On weekends I'd cram a Cornish hen in there stuffed with cornbread or veggies. brick trout was easy. I'd wrap a trout or a white fish in foil with a strip of fat bacon, lemon wedges and green onions and press it between two common red bricks. in 6 hours they were slow roasted well done and ready for the lemon and butter. the bones would normally just lift right out.

Nice pic, OP, beats lookin' at Compton, North Philly or the Lower Bronx, lol. :oops:

Enjoying cooler weather here in Alamogordo, I haven't even put the A/C on today, I just have the windows open. In fact, I just spent several hours doing yard work, but that story belongs in another thread. So much for my quiet Sunday, lol. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the wood stove, I miss mine from Show Low, Arizona, it cranked out some heat in the dead of winter, lol. :)

Last edited:
... the temps have been in the high 20s to the high 40s.

Youza, what a 'Difference a little Latitude makes' (it's 108˚ here today! o_O Sending 'warm thoughts' yer way, Sir John.. :p

..and yeah, Congrats on getting All the 'chores' done, and being able to face Old Man Winter with Confidence.. :cool: Enjoy that Lovely wood-smoke permeation, am truly jealous.. 👍

jd

These fall nights are getting cooler, so I should be able to torch some wood, pine cones & needles, weed piles, etc., in a controlled burn. This yard is gonna look nice once I burn all the tree stumps (already pulled), lopped branches, weed piles, etc. My front yard (east side) has piles of stuff just waiting to be burned in the stone fire ring this fall & winter... I'll be glad when all that stuff is gone. And I might as well enjoy the campfires out front, I have a couple of nice comfortable XL camp chairs to break out if needed. Nothing wrong with having a fire in the yard... just gotta do it on a calm evening. When I camped for 109 days in Whetstone, AZ, I had glorious campfires with cured mesquite, and I'd cook steaks & roasts & gourmet sausages directly over those mesquite coals once they settled down... pretty good eatin', and havin' a fire makes all the difference in the world to morale in the field. Being cold & miserable sucks, having a nice blaze is the ticket! :camping:

Latest posts

Back