Feeling blessed

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I retired this last fall. Now my biggest daily decision is what cool project am I going to tinker with today.
I've kinda come to realize that I'm a pretty blessed guy. I've got plenty of aches n pains but had a good time getting them. One of the guides in my life live on your wins n stay positive.
But I've got my beautiful wife n 2 kids n their better halves n our grandkids near.
I live in a state where there is no government telling me how to build my home.
I met my beautiful wife near 40 years ago. Built our home, twice, first one burned in a forest fire. And we were able to build the remote cabin we always wanted. Alaska n all she holds, wild wise, fits me perfectly.
Been blessed to always have a job i enjoyed but still able to be independent. Learned many skills because if I wanted it I had to do it, fix it, myself.
Now whats supper, halibut, moose, bear, salmon rabbits aren't ready yet but a snowshoe hare showed up yesterday

I am still working and I feel very blessed. My wife has been sick, but because of COVID I have been able to remote work and help her as required. We were blessed with 3 great kids and although we don't always agree with them, they are all making their own way in life, and that is all one can ask.

Considering my age and how long I have been working I am in pretty good health and that is a great blessing.

I am relatively new here but I think it is great to have all of you fine people as friends, virtually at my fingertips. :)

Aww, you guys now have me feeling really blessed. I know I am, but need to remember it some days.
Glad to be in year two of retirement, blessed to finally have husband retired six months ago, and feeling blessed that he agreed to moving. Even though it's not his favorite place, it really is mine. And blessed it's a great place for the grandkids to do their growing up.

Aww, you guys now have me feeling really blessed. I know I am, but need to remember it some days.
Glad to be in year two of retirement, blessed to finally have husband retired six months ago, and feeling blessed that he agreed to moving. Even though it's not his favorite place, it really is mine. And blessed it's a great place for the grandkids to do their growing up.
It may not be his favorite place, but my impression when talking to him is that he saw the wisdom of moving there.

That's good to hear when he tells other people that. I know he has felt out of place in the community, but he shouldn't. We are slowly finding ways to modify things so that he can do some outside work even on a scooter, and he gets alot done, really. It is a huge change from being in charge of military defense satellites to living in nowhere Amish little town, where no one goes to school past 8th grade.

I know I have been blessed in more ways than I can count. Sometimes it is hard to appreciate that when things go South. I read it on the marquee of a Baptist church, and it really hit home to me.

Every minute of every day someone is praying for something you take for granted.

My wife has been asthmatic her whole life, and things have gotten progressively worse the past few years. I have been blessed with excellent health, but breathing is something we all take for granted. Not so much for her.

Last edited:
Congratulations to all the retirees. I am about 2 years out and am seriously worried I will not be able to keep biting my tongue.

I am also blessed we had someone here last night commenting on how nice and big our property is. I said yes we have been blessed, but it took our entire life to get here.

Last edited:
I'm now at retirement age but life has always been pretty good. We've had some real hard times but that's OK. It's a learning experience.
I know that when I feel like having a personal pitty party , I just look around me.
I have my family around me, was able to build our home just like I wanted. I always enjoyed my job. I have a worn out body that aches a bit but it was fun getting here. The bills are paid n I can still buy a cold beer at the end of the week.
For some reason or another I keep coming back to telling myself, live on your wins man. And that keeps me happy.

Yup, perspective is a beautiful thing. It really does make me appreciate all the blessings God has been good enough to give to me.

When someone asks me "So, how's it going? or What's new?" I reply with "Just livin' the dream". It's funny, but very truthful at the same time. Some think I say it in sarcasm, but that's not the case for me at all. Life IS GOOD!

Back