Fiber prep

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyice

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do you process your own fleeces for spinning? I’m looking for a mentor. I couldn’t contain myself while on vacation and made an Etsy purchase….Viking combs and a Romney cross ewe fleece. I’ve never processed a fleece for spinning but nothing like jumping in feet first.

4A627EB8-518C-499A-B5B5-A21E4FD7D6E1.jpeg
BB462D0C-D3D6-473A-BDFC-FD7922E9D2FA.jpeg
833703E5-D7C8-4D3A-BAAF-CE17697B8418.jpeg

Of course, Heidi is very intrigued by the box of fleece.
6032DD8F-FD8E-4FC7-93F8-44EBE9999601.jpeg

Do you process your own fleeces for spinning? I’m looking for a mentor. I couldn’t contain myself while on vacation and made an Etsy purchase….Viking combs and a Romney cross ewe fleece. I’ve never processed a fleece for spinning but nothing like jumping in feet first.

View attachment 95575View attachment 95576View attachment 95577
Of course, Heidi is very intrigued by the box of fleece.
View attachment 95578
WOW! I have no clue, but sure am interested in how that goes!! Heidi is sooo cute!

We’ll this is going to be a much bigger undertaking than I anticipated. Not really an ideal project for my Lilliputian abode In autumn into winter. Should have tried this in summer when the outside is more conducive to wet wool.

This is a third to half the fleece on a table in my garage.
F216CD06-A77C-4DCE-8DC5-51A145B8406D.jpeg

I’m now down to my last roughly pound and a half of fleece to wash.
Thought i would share some pics of the process (plus help me document process and progress)

3F88D0F6-66B9-41D0-A397-23A1D8BE580A.jpeg
First dip in hot, soapy water after the overnight soak in cold to remove the very loose dirt.

5BA6E8FD-C289-4294-B334-202BAC54CC14.jpeg

Drying over tub after two rinses. I use a usb powered fan set up in front of the radiator to blow warm air over the locks to help dry them quickly.

9B822BEA-DC44-4804-BF4D-42CE3A430CED.jpeg

7D401C3F-E25F-45CD-96A0-0EABD9AD25F9.jpeg
Combing the fibers in preparation for spinning.

I’ve already spun 6 bobbins and plied 3 together for my first 300 yard skein. I estimated about 1800 - 2000 yards for the sweater.

I still have many baskets, boxes and bags of locks to comb yet.

I’m now down to my last roughly pound and a half of fleece to wash.
Thought i would share some pics of the process (plus help me document process and progress)

View attachment 103013First dip in hot, soapy water after the overnight soak in cold to remove the very loose dirt.

View attachment 103015
Drying over tub after two rinses. I use a usb powered fan set up in front of the radiator to blow warm air over the locks to help dry them quickly.

View attachment 103017
View attachment 103018Combing the fibers in preparation for spinning.

I’ve already spun 6 bobbins and plied 3 together for my first 300 yard skein. I estimated about 1800 - 2000 yards for the sweater.

I still have many baskets, boxes and bags of locks to comb yet.
That is AMAZING, Wow!! What a process!! Thank you for sharing!!

I totally missed this post when you first posted. You have made great process.

I have processed fleeces. I have two spinning wheels (an Ashford and one that was my g grandmothers made for her by her brother), a drop spindle, as well as carders and combs. I had about 3 fleeces, but never got them fully processed, because the moths got them.

One of the reasons I have not done anything with spinning in decades is because the wool moths hit my home in a big way. I have had many articles of wool clothing destroyed by moths: sweaters, coats, jackets, pants, skirts, socks. I have had wool floor rugs and weavings that were completely destroyed as well. I just want to caution you about wool and moths. I have never been able to completely get rid of the moths, in spite of much effort to do so I have given up on wool. I have always preferred wearing natural fibers, but have been using synthetic clothing for quite a while since the moth infestation. Moths leave it alone.

I have also dyed fibers. This is a fun process.

I have a friend, a neighbor, who has processed lots of fleeces in her life. She is always working on something with fibers, be it knitting, weaving, spinning, dyeing.

I totally missed this post when you first posted. You have made great process.

I have processed fleeces. I have two spinning wheels (an Ashford and one that was my g grandmothers made for her by her brother), a drop spindle, as well as carders and combs. I had about 3 fleeces, but never got them fully processed, because the moths got them.

One of the reasons I have not done anything with spinning in decades is because the wool moths hit my home in a big way. I have had many articles of wool clothing destroyed by moths: sweaters, coats, jackets, pants, skirts, socks. I have had wool floor rugs and weavings that were completely destroyed as well. I just want to caution you about wool and moths. I have never been able to completely get rid of the moths, in spite of much effort to do so I have given up on wool. I have always preferred wearing natural fibers, but have been using synthetic clothing for quite a while since the moth infestation. Moths leave it alone.

I have also dyed fibers. This is a fun process.

I have a friend, a neighbor, who has processed lots of fleeces in her life. She is always working on something with fibers, be it knitting, weaving, spinning, dyeing.
I’m sorry you’ve had so much problem with the moths. I’m lucky, never had a moth problem with my wool. I don’t knit with acrylics I only use wool and other natural fibers. All of my storage trunks and closets are cedar lined, so that might have something to do with it.

I’m spinning worsted for the sweater—an Aran style jacket. The combing waste I’ll be carding and spinning woolen. That yarn will be my dyeing experiments.

Planning my garden, I’m trying to plant flowers to use for natural dyeing.

I’ve tried drop spindle but with that I’m all thumbs.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back