Fig Trees

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Today I noticed my figs are just starting to bud. There are tiny spots of green just breaking out.
fig bud_v1.jpg

I think your right @phideaux it's about 2 weeks early here. I never notice my figs until they have leafed out. The only reason I noticed today I was looking for a little medicinal plant that grows underneath my figs. ;D

Last edited:
I planted a fig tree 2 years ago. It did great and has produced fruit each year since being planted. They do like water.
Any tree that you plant should be watered regularly for the first year and maybe the next couple years as well if needed until the root base is situated and grows in.
We also planted, Green apples, plums and pears. No fruit on those yet but from what I have read it takes a few years before they fruit. Peach trees were already here and bear fruit but leak a sap from the fruit. Either disease or bugs. Trying different things each year to cure the problem. I want to eat a peach! LOL

Everything at my place either has buds, Leaves or Flowering. Some are doing all the above. I have a few Mulberry in Full leaf already.....Hers' one of my young peach trees already....And an ANNA Apple..
IMG_20180217_123603.jpg
IMG_20180217_121516.jpg
IMG_20180217_130029.jpg

I've read that in cooler climates, such as here in S.W. Oregon, that fig trees may need to be healed in, bent over and covered in mulched earth in the colder part of the year for them to survive and thrive. However I've heard that they do well in this area, I'm just trying to get our almonds, pecans and cherries to do well before adding more fruit trees to our place.

Bumping an old thread to ask...

Has anyone taken cutting of a fig tree and cloned it?

I have one that I want to clone and grow the clone in a pot to escape the winters.

Thanks in advance for ideas and insights!

Ben

Bumping an old thread to ask...

Has anyone taken cutting of a fig tree and cloned it?

I have one that I want to clone and grow the clone in a pot to escape the winters.

Thanks in advance for ideas and insights!

Ben

I took some cuttings from our a couple years ago. I cut them into about 6-8" twigs, dipped them in rooting compound and stuck them in 1 gallon pots of compost. They mostly leafed out the following spring. I planted them last fall and 6 of 8 survived to this point.
They are Brown Turkey figs. Seemed pretty easy to this point.

I took some cuttings from our a couple years ago. I cut them into about 6-8" twigs, dipped them in rooting compound and stuck them in 1 gallon pots of compost. They mostly leafed out the following spring. I planted them last fall and 6 of 8 survived to this point.
They are Brown Turkey figs. Seemed pretty easy to this point.
Were they green or hardwood cuttings?

What time of year?

Leaves on or not?

Do I ask too many questions?

Ben

Were they green or hardwood cuttings?

What time of year?

Leaves on or not?

Do I ask too many questions?

Ben
My plants die back every winter, so it was green growth. Best i recall late summer/early fall. They were leafed out.
No such thing as too many questions...well I've known a few. But you didn't LOL

My plants die back every winter, so it was green growth. Best i recall late summer/early fall. They were leafed out.
No such thing as too many questions...well I've known a few. But you didn't LOL
That is what happens to mine and I want to avoid by brining the tree inside over winter. By the rime mine recover it is too late for the fruit to ripen before the first frost.

Thank you!

Ben

When our's were young and started fruiting, it always got cold to quick for them to ripen. Last couple of years they seem to be doing better on ripening earlier. Your weather will be much worse than mine. What zone are you in? 5 or 6?
Zone 6. In the foothills of the Allegheny mountains on a plateau may be a factor.

Mine is 7-8 years old and almost ripened fruit about three years ago.

I have tried burlap, mounds of straw covered with a tarp. I have considered heat tape like that used on pipes but no good idea aside from digging it up and burying it like @viking mentioned.

Ben

I have four fig cuttings off the internet, it is a green fig that is still green when ripe.
I rooted the cuttings, but they have not bear fruit yet.
I have rooted fifty brown turkey in March & potted them up.
I pruned an old fig tree for a friend & it was covered with sucker/whips the next Spring.
So I pruned it & my brother & I rooted a lot of the whips, we cut them six inches long.
No root tone, just potting soil & regular watering.
We did azalea & evergreen plants too.

I have four fig cuttings off the internet, it is a green fig that is still green when ripe.
I rooted the cuttings, but they have not bear fruit yet.
I have rooted fifty brown turkey in March & potted them up.
I pruned an old fig tree for a friend & it was covered with sucker/whips the next Spring.
So I pruned it & my brother & I rooted a lot of the whips, we cut them six inches long.
No root tone, just potting soil & regular watering.
We did azalea & evergreen plants too.
Thanks for sharing that!

I may have been doing my figs all wrong.

After the winter die back I just let it grow what ever. Here is a picture of it today.

20220818_193437.jpg

It is all sucker/whips!

I should cut off all but the best and try to root them!

It only has one fig this year.

20220818_193635_HDR.jpg

I am hopeful now!

Ben

Thanks for sharing that!

I may have been doing my figs all wrong.

After the winter die back I just let it grow what ever. Here is a picture of it today.

View attachment 92819

It is all sucker/whips!

I should cut off all but the best and try to root them!

It only has one fig this year.

View attachment 92820

I am hopeful now!

Ben
I don't know how I missed this thread.
I have some experience with fig trees:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/whats-everybody-doing-today.474/post-172870

Could you take a closer look at the image...

View attachment 92823

Last years shoots are still there and you see how many suckers.

Ben
That's the way they grow.
I freaked out when the previous limbs went dead after the first bad freeze only to watch more new limbs grow back the next spring.
The previous limbs die off and eventually fall to the ground.
There is a pic somewhere here of the same huge tree during winter but I will have to hunt for it.

I was given a fig tree which I planted in a 3 foot wide pot. I am in your 8-9 zone (though the weather this year may change all that)
Questions- how often to water if it's not raining, what does it hate, and should I put it in the poly for the winter? thank you

We're covered in Turkey figs here, they started budding a month ago.
I brought 3 saplings from the huge Turkey-fig tree above when we moved down here in 2018.
They floundered the first 2 years and I was sure they were hopeless. :(
But we kept watering them. Figs like a LOT of water!
And they have certainly been getting that this year. 😋
Today:
IMG_20220819_163353.jpg

It will still be years before we get any figs off of them, but that's ok.:thumbs:

Latest posts

Back