Filling 1 pound propane tanks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I knew there was a trick to this so I did some research this morning. I went to another site that had a thread on it and found some really good videos. The first one shows how to fill the 1 pounders from a 20 pound tank without having to put the small one in the freezer first. You'll need a 20 pound tank with propane in it, an empty 1 pound tank, an adaptor, a wrench, and some curved nose hemostats along with an area (preferably a table) outdoors in which to work.

This one shows how you can destroy your Mr. Buddy heater. I knew there were off brand hoses that you could use with a Mr. Buddy but someone told me not to use those and I forgot the reason. Well, here's the reason. In a nutshell, the off brand hoses leach an oil substance in the line that the filter doesn't block out after a while. I think maybe hubs burnt out one of his heaters already, so this may have been the reason why. Good to know......

We don't use the small propane cylinders a lot, but they are handy for our tailgating grill and mini stove/heater that gets used in the shanty. Hubs also uses them for torches in his shop. They're also handy for short camping or hiking trips b/c they don't weigh much or take up a ton of space.

Last edited:
The oily residue comes from the propane itself. Having worked on propane systems for years and rebuilding carburetors, regulators, vaporizers and cleaning tanks I can assure you that the oily residue builds up in the tanks and all the other parts over time. You will find that most commercial systems have a filter right off the tank and no other filters are needed (until the filter by-passes).

The oily residue comes from the propane itself. Having worked on propane systems for years and rebuilding carburetors, regulators, vaporizers and cleaning tanks I can assure you that the oily residue builds up in the tanks and all the other parts over time. You will find that most commercial systems have a filter right off the tank and no other filters are needed (until the filter by-passes).
So, are you saying that the hose doesn't matter?

Reactions: Neb
I've seen the waxy oil build up in tanks, hoses, regulators, vaporizers, and carburetors. The source has to be the fluid in the tanks. If you use a filter between the tank and the hose the only place you see build up is before the filter. That, to me, says the hose is not the cause. Without a filter the hose will act as a collector, as will the rest of the LPG system components.

Reactions: Neb
I've seen the waxy oil build up in tanks, hoses, regulators, vaporizers, and carburetors. The source has to be the fluid in the tanks. If you use a filter between the tank and the hose the only place you see build up is before the filter. That, to me, says the hose is not the cause. Without a filter the hose will act as a collector, as will the rest of the LPG system components.

I've never seen filters. What do they look like?

They also have filters that you can replace the elements in. That saves you the cost the pressure container wrapped around each filter.

Latest posts

Back