Finally Got My Wife a China Hutch

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We've been looking for just the right size and wood color hutch for a long time, most are too wide and almost everything is dark stained, we found this one at Merlin Bargain Store. I did some minor repairs and added an electrical outlet and a dimmer switch for the display lamp. My wife is very happy and I'm happy as this hutch was built in Grants Pass, Oregon by Bentwood Company
DSC00012.JPG

It is a great china cabinet. It is always good to have a place to store your stuff.

Very nice.
Now if your wife is anything like mine she will fill it with China and Crystal that she will never let you use.:)

Have you noticed how using fine china, crystal and silverware has become something from the past? Heck, how many people eat on disposable plates ? Watch photos and videos of food and see how often you see the disposable plates, as opposed to ceramic or even plastic dishes. I suppose that people are so busy, it is easier to clean up by throwing the (disposable) dishes away.

The word on the street is...nobody wants grandma's china sets, cast iron pans, teapots and tea sets, on and on. Should be able to get the stuff at yard sales, estate sales, etc. for cheap.
I still have my mom's china and some pieces from my grandmothers in the china cabinet that was my mom's. Plus a few pieces from my NH's side.

It is a great china cabinet. It is always good to have a place to store your stuff.

Have you noticed how using fine china, crystal and silverware has become something from the past? Heck, how many people eat on disposable plates ? Watch photos and videos of food and see how often you see the disposable plates, as opposed to ceramic or even plastic dishes. I suppose that people are so busy, it is easier to clean up by throwing the (disposable) dishes away.

We have to eat on the china with the real silverware every holiday and every special occasion, according to the Lady of the house. We also have to use the fancy salt & pepper shakers, gravy boat, serving dishes, serving spoons, table cloth, cloth napkins folder just right, crystal glasses, etc., etc., etc. It's really quite a production that takes a lot of time and care. We have our own China from when we were married, but we primarily use my Wife's grandmother's China.

We also eat on disposable plates often. Not because we love the idea of it, but because with the size of our family we already have to run the dishwasher every single day and sometimes 2x a day. It used to be 2x a day every day until we started using disposable bowls and plates for breakfast, lunches, snacks, etc. Especially when the kids self-serve a meal. But of course my wife mandates we use the compostable plates or the paper plates with a short biodegradable lifespan. It's funny how we restrict carbs that we eat but our throw away plates are made out of carbs (wheat straw fiber).

I bought a full set of fine china at a yard sale.
Their Grandma had died and nobody wanted it so they sold it.
$25 for a complete 8 place setting.
We use that every day but the stuff I bought my wife in 1973 has been used maybe twice.
She still has the receipt from the Yokosuka Navy Exchange.
12 place setting of Nortaki Fine china, 8 place setting of crystal and 12 place setting of silverware.
$125 total.
I hope when the kids sell it they get my money back.

We have to eat on the china with the real silverware every holiday and every special occasion, according to the Lady of the house. We also have to use the fancy salt & pepper shakers, gravy boat, serving dishes, serving spoons, table cloth, cloth napkins folder just right, crystal glasses, etc., etc., etc. It's really quite a production that takes a lot of time and care. We have our own China from when we were married, but we primarily use my Wife's grandmother's China.

We also eat on disposable plates often. Not because we love the idea of it, but because with the size of our family we already have to run the dishwasher every single day and sometimes 2x a day. It used to be 2x a day every day until we started using disposable bowls and plates for breakfast, lunches, snacks, etc. Especially when the kids self-serve a meal. But of course my wife mandates we use the compostable plates or the paper plates with a short biodegradable lifespan. It's funny how we restrict carbs that we eat but our throw away plates are made out of carbs (wheat straw fiber).
We do most of our holiday meals and gatherings at my daughter's place. She does not have fine china, but has a special set of plates that we use for our special meals with company.

My daughter has a thing against disposables. It is probably fairly common for some of her age group. She is especially against plastic for a few reasons: the affect on animals, the pollution, that it will be here forever, that it is ugly, that it contains chemicals that impact our hormones. She is also aware of trash and garbage that we see everywhere, and so much of it is used disposable food containers.

If I had a large family, like you Sentry, I would be doing the same thing. Everyone is so busy these days. Doing dishes can just be one more task. We washed dishes 3 times at Thanksgiving: all the utensils and dishes we used to make the meal; the dishes from the meal; and then the pots and pans from the meal. The dishes from the meal, the second round of dishes, were mostly done by the dishwasher, but not all were. There were 6 of us total. Dishes have to get done or it isn't pretty. I get the disposable option, especially for large families.

Last edited:
Did you ever think it would be so hard to find something so familiar?
Yes, we've been to a lot of different furniture stores, new and used, everything is dark and we don't like that, I like oak and I like seeing the grain of the wood, also dark is depressing.

Yes, we've been to a lot of different furniture stores, new and used, everything is dark and we don't like that, I like oak and I like seeing the grain of the wood, also dark is depressing.
I have found it to be difficult to find furniture that suits me, but my tastes have changed. I love natural wood, but live in a Victorian with lots of wide trim. I have lots of time stripping wood. A friend of mine, a designer came through and helped me figure out the colors to paint my house, inside and out, and she told me it would be best to paint my trim. That is when lots of changes came for me. I have now been working on changing my bedroom to French Provincial furniture.

Latest posts

Back