Finally Got Some Snow

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We've been a bit concerned for our coming years water supply as we rely on snow on the top of the mountain behind us to replenish the water shed which feeds our spring, though this is not a deep snow, it's still a relief to see it and we might get a few more snows in the next couple of months. What also helps is with the sub-freezing nights we're getting the snow is melting slowly into the soil and not just running off into the streams.
DSC00001 (3).JPG

Us too except the snow part. Planet is now like one big fat sci fi scene.
My poor dogs don't know if its time to shed or grow hair. Cold makes them too hot with all the hair and hot makes them cold once they shed.
My trees are all bloomed out now too. So good bye apples and pears I guess. I know we have at least one more freeze coming. Well I don't know but we should.

Yeah, our pear tree always seems to bloom just a tad too early and just about the time the pears start to form, it frosts. So many times the tree is filled with beautiful blossoms and we end up with about a dozen ugly pears that we can only get about one good bite out of them. Rats!

Yeah, our pear tree always seems to bloom just a tad too early and just about the time the pears start to form, it frosts. So many times the tree is filled with beautiful blossoms and we end up with about a dozen ugly pears that we can only get about one good bite out of them. Rats!
I have had this happen to my pear tree, but the interesting thing is that when one batch of blossoms freeze off, in a few days, there are more blossoms. My now deceased peach tree was much more sensitive to freezing. There were years of no peaches, and then there were years of way too many peaches, which I would cull off when they were very small.

We're supposed to get 8" today but the way it is coming down I'm guessing that we will get more than that.

Yes, it is pretty, until you start shoveling it.

Woke up this morning to nearly a foot of fresh snow, almost 5:00 PM and we have a near white out. We count this snow as a blessing, it's our water for the coming summer. Yes it's pretty but I'd rather have it falling on the surrounding mountains, I don't like shoveling the stuff anymore than I have to and I don't really like driving in it either. Went down to the chicken coop to check their water and food, the chickens took one look at the snow and decided to stay in the coop, I don't think they would have done too well wandering through all the snow so I collected all the eggs, closed the coop up and went back inside our home, I don't want to deal with the snow either.

Latest posts

Back