Finally installed generator

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
With the health situation it has set us back about a year on doing much. Our electrician has been doing install in our cabin and now the generator. It is wired directly into our panel with a 30 amp breaker. To use, turn off the main outside power switch, make sure that ALL inside 220 breakers are in the off position. Now start the generator [9375 watts] and then throw the generator breaker to power the whole cabin! Takes about 5 minutes to switch from one power to another.
Sam

With the health situation it has set us back about a year on doing much. Our electrician has been doing install in our cabin and now the generator. It is wired directly into our panel with a 30 amp breaker. To use, turn off the main outside power switch, make sure that ALL inside 220 breakers are in the off position. Now start the generator [9375 watts] and then throw the generator breaker to power the whole cabin! Takes about 5 minutes to switch from one power to another.
Sam
Have considered a transfer switch?

Ben

Nice, we got a generator earlier this year. Not big enough to power everything at once but it will run the well and everything we NEED. During the fires in Oregon last summer they shut off power and our ability to defend our home from fire for almost 2 weeks. That got fixed ASAP.

Have considered a transfer switch?

Ben
Transfer switch is the old way. The electrician did an interlock. I’m confused as to why the man told him he needs to turn off 220 breakers though. Just don’t use those appliances, no need to turn breaker off and I’ve installed big numbers of em.
It was easier to direct wire into the panel then have to attach a cord to the switch then the generator.
Sam
A transfer switch isn’t actually a switch of the typical type of that’s what you’re thinking and doesn’t have anymore wiring than an interlock. Sorta of a bunch of “switches” in the form of breakers. Typically you use a threaded nipple to the panel, no cord.
The reason for not using a transfer switch is you have to pick certain circuits to be utilized. The rest never get power so if the bathroom say was one you’d be using it w a flashlight. An interlock backfeeds the whole panel, you personally manage the energy by simply turning off whatever you’re not using at that time.
You need to use bathroom. Turn on switch. Once you leave turn off. Go to the basement, back yard, etc etc etc it’s all usable. On than off. With today’s led bulbs you can prob have about the whole house on anyhow. You’d be surprised how little many houses draw.
That 220 thing is crazy. Say you have electric stove. That’s 220, your generator will run cooktop. The breaker needs to stay on for that to happen. Say a well pump needs to be on, that’s prob 2pole 15 amp. Well less than 2pole 30 and you’d need it for water. Idk your situation but sometimes guys use a 3 wire (2 circuits) and share the neutral. Thats put on a 220 breaker so they both go off in a fault. That’s 2-110 circuits off now etc etc but you get point.You don’t need to turn off, I never do, I also never recommend that. I’m sorta incredulous anyone did

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back