Finding a wood stove

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Morbidly Inclined
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know it has been mentioned before that someone here was looking for a wood stove and could not find one near them or with cheap enough shipping.

I was looking at Ace Hardware's website this morning at the tool deals (for my dad and K) when an ad popped up for wood stoves. It seems Ace has a few different types you can only order online through their site but they will ship it to the store for free for you to pick up. (Just think of the cash back you'd get using Ebates or TopCashBack to access Ace Hardware's site to buy one!)

I know about 4+ years ago I was looking for a wood stove with no luck but knowing that Ace has a decent price and the ship to store option eases my mind. When we move if we need a woodstove I know where I'm looking first.

We don't have an ACE anymore, but when we did I shopped there often.

They offer shipping but I didn't check to see if it was free. I normally buy from Ace if I can for tools etc because they are clean and it is easier to find someone to help you than at the big box hardware shops. Another store I like is True Value or Orchard. They are easier to find in the bigger communities.

Uhm yeah the size of building a stove says it will heat is usually about a 1/4 of what it can actually acomplish and the burn time about the same ratio.
unless you have a steady supply of seasoned oak.
Ever notice that climates that NEED good firewood don't have it.
Not that most any wood isn't good. But, the stove size needs to reflect the available wood. :fun fun:

This is the one I got , several years ago, (6 or 7)
I paid about $500 then.

I wanted a large firebox, so I could load it at night and keep good coals/heat all night....it does ,
With 3.5 cu ft firebox, biggest firebox I could find.
Small firebox must be fed often, and needs ash removal more often.

This one has held good heat for up to 3 days without feeding, and burns very clean, no wasted heat, due to ceramic plates in top.
We have cooked on it also.
My house is 2000 sq ft and I can not open inlet for air (hooked to outside air) more than half way on sub zero temp days.
Most of the time , the inlet is only open 1/4".

I use a coal shovel and clean out ashes once a week on average. Dont use the little ash tray.
I couldn't have gotten a better one, IMHO.

heat2.jpg

englander-wood-burning-stoves-30-nch-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-2-400-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove-30-NCH/100291302

Jim

I went with a wood burning furnace to help heat our 1980 square foot basement. It does OK now but will do much better when I get some paint on the inside walls exposed on the outside (top 2-3 blocks around the house and the end wall that is completely exposed) and some insulation in between the 2x4's.

We have an endless supply of seasoned oak, if anyone wants to gather a truck and trailer load in east TN please come before it rots away! I probably could gather 40-50 semi truckloads from the tree tops from the logs we harvested 18 months ago, it'll just rot! I have offered to many people to come and cut all they want from the tree tops (white and red oak) but no one will do it. We have 4-5 years worth cut and in the shed, the shed is full! To put into perspective how many tree tops we have we had 247 trees logged on 22 acres, all mature trees only, we left anything under 12" in diameter. Only about 30-40 trees were poplar, the rest were all white and red oak.

I went with a wood burning furnace to help heat our 1980 square foot basement. It does OK now but will do much better when I get some paint on the inside walls exposed on the outside (top 2-3 blocks around the house and the end wall that is completely exposed) and some insulation in between the 2x4's.

We have an endless supply of seasoned oak, if anyone wants to gather a truck and trailer load in east TN please come before it rots away! I probably could gather 40-50 semi truckloads from the tree tops from the logs we harvested 18 months ago, it'll just rot! I have offered to many people to come and cut all they want from the tree tops (white and red oak) but no one will do it. We have 4-5 years worth cut and in the shed, the shed is full! To put into perspective how many tree tops we have we had 247 trees logged on 22 acres, all mature trees only, we left anything under 12" in diameter. Only about 30-40 trees were poplar, the rest were all white and red oak.

That wood would be worth a small fortune around here.
I have never seen oak firewood for sell locally.
Mountain wood like fir is around $180 a cord and Tamarack is even more.
I burn pellets.
A friend cut,split and loaded his semi trailer full of red fir and hauled it to Southern California years ago and made a lot of cash.
Don't know what would have happened to him if he got caught but he got away with it the one time he did it.
Permits?
We don't need any permits.

We use oak around d here for our wood stove too. Just burns cleaner and hotter than some of the others. We look for dead trees that people have cut down or after storms and just ask if we can haul it off for them. Even have cut down trees to haul. Its a way to stock up on your firewood and its a win win for both parties. If not city will pick up and take to dump. They will turn it into mulch and pass out every sat of the month.

Tractor supply company used to sell US Stove models, And the exact model I was lusting after came up for sale on craigslist for about half price… I kept it from my old house, it’s in storage so I can use it in the living room of my new house when it’s finished.

I have so much wood, & keep getting scrap wood all the time. All my old rotten wood goes into the compost pile…… I’m going to use old gas water heaters (converted to wood burning use) & I will heat my new home with hot water

Tractor supply company used to sell US Stove models, And the exact model I was lusting after came up for sale on craigslist for about half price… I kept it from my old house, it’s in storage so I can use it in the living room of my new house when it’s finished.

I have so much wood, & keep getting scrap wood all the time. All my old rotten wood goes into the compost pile…… I’m going to use old gas water heaters (converted to wood burning use) & I will heat my new home with hot water

LincTex, just a word of caution by converting to wood, you are basically bypassing the thermostat. The hot water heater could become a steam boiler.

LincTex, just a word of caution by converting to wood, you are basically bypassing the thermostat. The hot water heater could become a steam boiler.

Yeah, but they are at atmospheric pressure with a large gravity reservoir. Circulation pumps will likely keep the temps ever getting too hot.

Yeah, but they are at atmospheric pressure with a large gravity reservoir. Circulation pumps will likely keep the temps ever getting too hot.

That sounds like a winner. I look forward to more updates. Just wanted to provide an element of caution for those that might think they can just build small fire in combustion chamber of standard water heater.

Out here in the Pacific Northwest coastal area we have Madrone trees that only grow within a couple of hundred miles of the ocean, it is our best wood for stoves as it leaves very little ash and burns long and hot even with the air inlets closed, trouble is that the timber companies are now logging it for chipping for paper mills.

Out here in the Pacific Northwest coastal area we have Madrone trees that only grow within a couple of hundred miles of the ocean, it is our best wood for stoves as it leaves very little ash and burns long and hot even with the air inlets closed, trouble is that the timber companies are now logging it for chipping for paper mills.

Viking my thinking process seems to be running real slow tonight. Are the logging companies logging on public land or private land? Do they have a legal / moral right to log this timber? Is the concern that this high quality burning wood will be lost and not replanted? I am really just lost here. City type folk, you know.

TMT, Madrone is a conversion wood much like Alder and Cottonwood, timber companies consider it a weed and spray the forests heavily to mostly eliminate as much as possible, NOT GOOD as it harms a lot of wildlife and humans. I've never heard of any replanting of Madrone, but if the trees are cut at the right time of the year the stumps will regrow and can regrow many times, sometimes creating huge burls below ground that can weigh well over a 1,000 pounds and be extremely valuable. The timber companies mainly log on public lands, some companies do sell Madrone by the log truck load which is a good thing, I used to buy a two cord load of logs from a local logger but he is no longer logging since his wife left him.

TMT, Madrone is a conversion wood much like Alder and Cottonwood, timber companies consider it a weed and spray the forests heavily to mostly eliminate as much as possible, NOT GOOD as it harms a lot of wildlife and humans. I've never heard of any replanting of Madrone, but if the trees are cut at the right time of the year the stumps will regrow and can regrow many times, sometimes creating huge burls below ground that can weigh well over a 1,000 pounds and be extremely valuable. The timber companies mainly log on public lands, some companies do sell Madrone by the log truck load which is a good thing, I used to buy a two cord load of logs from a local logger but he is no longer logging since his wife left him.

Viking thank you for the information. it do hope the timber companies stop spraying any type of chemicals. You would think it would pay big dividends to cut the Madrone at the proper time and after a number of time return and harvest the burls. Sorry to hear your supplier quit the business. Maybe you will get lucky and another will take up the business.

http://www.usstove.com/index.php?route=common/home been in business for 149 years… They are located in South Pittsburg TN (same town as Lodge Cast Iron)

I bought an older model of this one at Tractor supply a few years ago for $275. Mine will heat 900 sqft. They no longer carry it, don’t know who does now.

http://www.usstove.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_66&product_id=123

I live in the house my grandparents lived in. They had a wood stove. There is a foam sealed hole through the cinder block wall and outside brick wall. I bought all the necessary flu parts and did a mock set up. I stored my stove/parts with remote emergency preps.

It’s ready when I need it here or an emergency shelter. It has a flat cooking surface. It weighs about 200lbs so it wont fit in a BoB. However, if there is no power, LP etc for months… you can heat your living space and cook on it. ;)

I have a US stove in this house but we are going to put a Kitchen Queen in the new place. The one we have now keeps our 2000sq ft house comfortable. We have to fire up the fire place on the opposite side of the house occasionally when it gets really cold but haven't used our furnace in 12 years.

Latest posts

Back