Fireweed tea

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Came across a interesting reference to fermented fireweed tea in a Jordan Jonas video. Apparently this was a.common tea in siberia begor cheap ceylon tea came about.

Its made by crushing and wadding the leaves into a small bundle. Thinking about the size of a roll of pennies. It is then left in a container in the sun for afew days. It is ready to brew after that.

Sounds interesting and im going to try it

Last edited:
We haven’t fermented it, but we use fireweed all the time in our salads. Love it, and I have had non-fermented fireweed tea.

From what ive been reading,its really not fermented but oxidized.
Also after the oxidation process it is to be dried. Then used like any black tea.

That makes sense. I like the tea. Good flavor and a bit relaxing.

All parts of the plant is edible & you can make Jelly with it.

Darn... Epilobium angustifolium, fireweed doesn't grow where I live. I do recognize the plant though. I saw it on an episode of "Homestead Rescue" with the Rainy family not long ago.

I saw a patch of fireweed on the show, wondered what it was... It does resemble a couple of plants that do grow where I live, close but no cigar!

Darn... Epilobium angustifolium, fireweed doesn't grow where I live. I do recognize the plant though. I saw it on an episode of "Homestead Rescue" with the Rainy family not long ago.

I saw a patch of fireweed on the show, wondered what it was... It does resemble a couple of plants that do grow where I live, close but no cigar!

I know the Rainy family. While they are enjoying and profiting a bit from their fame, the are certifiably Alaskans and a real hoot to be around.

Latest posts

Back