First Aid Kits

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was watching a You Tube video about Top 10 items for survival. This person felt the First Aid Kit was the most important thing. I'm sure we all have first aid kits, but the thing he said that really made me question his choice was having the things you really need and use. I thought "How many times have I used a First Aid Kit?" For me other than having band aids I can count on one hand and have fingers left over the number of times I have used a First Aid Kit.

It really made me think about what I have been carrying, and what I really need. We have a well stocked medicine cabinet at home. I am not disputing the fact that you should be prepared for emergencies. Even an IFAK you keep in your car can be more complete, but something for a BOB,EDC, a GHB, how much do you really need?

Every car or scooter has a basic first aid kit, and a "Stop the bleed" kit. The house has bandaids and such, and a huge disaster kit. I carry/stock them because it might be ME that needs it. Lots of people can give first aid, but only if the supplies/tools are available.

First aid kits aren't used often, neither is my sidearm, but both are always available if needed.

Last edited:
We have first aid shelves for home. A small kit in the cars. First aid stuff gets used more often with children and seniors. And ladies like me that get knife happy when cutting vegetables. Changing bandages on a wound for a couple weeks will make you go through alot of bandages. Taking care of bed sore wounds will, too. We go through a fair amount of over the counter: cough syrup, ibuprofen, allergy tablets, cough drops, neosporin, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, aspirin, etc. My husband has had some serious medical problems that we keep equipment for at home as well.
I would say water and food are the most important thing to have, but first aid would make the top three.

Some ideas to consider:

Normal times are not a very good analogy for what to expect in a severe crisis - so the frequency with which you have used first aid gear in the past may not mean much.

A severe crisis is a very much higher risk environment.

Most first aid gear/kits are about treating minor injuries. Some more serious kits have some items to keep you alive during "the golden hour" - the first hour between getting injured - until you get EMT and ER hospital care.

During a severe crisis, EMT and ERs may be too busy or otherwise out of reach - so a survivalist's kit may need to keep injured people alive for hours/days.

Even more extensive medical supplies may be required if you will have to treat injuries without support.

If I carried all of the recommended first aid items the YouTube experts recommended I wouldn't have anything room in my backpack for anything else. IMHO.

First Aid is just that, what you do first. Minor cuts disinfect with some alcohol from my stove and band aid. Stuff like that. I have no need to carry a tourniquet, I have a belt or Paracord. I have no need to carry scissors or tweezers, I have a knife. No sting relief wipes or Aspirin tablets, minor pain learn to deal with it, I don't have the space or the inclination to be annually checking use by dates. Bandage? A few bandaids, yes. Otherwise cut up a t-shirt and boil good and long in water, dry and presto, a bandage. Sling? Padded Paracord.

Now if we are talking about First Aid back at base or BOL, that's a whole different story...as long as I didn't have to pack it all in on my back on a several day hike to do so.

TEOTWAWKI? I'm sorry. If your are injured to the point where a hospital emergency room is need, I'm afraid the odds are against you.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly, Lazy L. A car kit will be more complete. At home, of course, you will have everything including the kitchen sink. What I carry to get from point A to Point B, EDC or Get Home Bag can be drastically reduced.

One item, amongst many, that I would have in any first aid kit, whether for home, auto, or a BOB, is several of those blood clotting bandages or powder. These are lifesavers and take up minimal space. The following is a list of several of the more common brand names:
WoundSeal
QuikClot
Celox
XGauze

One item, amongst many, that I would have in any first aid kit, whether for home, auto, or a BOB, is several of those blood clotting bandages or powder. These are lifesavers and take up minimal space. The following is a list of several of the more common brand names:
WoundSeal
QuikClot
Celox
XGauze

I do have some, but I have also heard Cayenne Pepper will do the same thing. Thankfully, I have never had to use either one, but I have them both.

I also keep Super Glue to close a wound if necessary.

First Aid kits are an ongoing work in progress, I think, and I need to work on mine. I have a smaller case that is not in my car, but meant for my car. I have mainly used band aids, alcohol wipes and ointment for wounds. I have lots of medical items at home, and that too needs work and organization.

My question, what kinds of containers are you all using? I have several things going on: tackle box, plastic drawers, zippered kits, zippered bags.

I have FAK everywhere. In my truck, my wife's Toyota, the house, my shop, my range bag, and there is even one in the barn.
All of them have the basics like band-aids, alcohol prep pads, Neosporin, and so on. All of them have different things depending on what they might be used for.
The one in the house is bigger and better stocked.
Yesterday I stabbed my finger with a power screwdriver. My wife asked if I was OK while the blood was pouring off my finger. A band-aid would be nice. Where are they?
FAK is useless unless everyone knows where they are. She knows now.

Like most others here I have FAK in lots of places. In both vehicles, BOB, hiking bags, a lot of things at home of course. I try to make the FAK at home really easily accessible because I spend a lot of time, like weeks or more, alone, and the last thing I need is a bad injury and I'm struggling to get a blood clotting bandage out. Fortunately I have never needed more than a band aid. For the get home bag I have tried to keep it as light as possible while still having enough essentials. I emphasis the stop the bleeding items in all my smaller kits, because I feel that's a real threat. You can make a plan with most things, if you can stop the bleeding.

WoundSeal
QuikClot
Celox
XGauze

Where would we buy these items? Daughter wants to know what Mr Meer wants for his comingBDay.This is what I told her we need.

My question, what kinds of containers are you all using? I have several things going on: tackle box, plastic drawers, zippered kits, zippered bags.

I have one small duffel/messenger bag that is for grab and go. It is more complete. I think it is 12 x 10 x 8. Otherwise mine are all zippered kits in other bags. I think all are red and have a First Aid logo on them.

All the back-packing and wilderness camping I've done has given me a pretty good idea of what you might need in a first-aid kit.
3 triangular bandages, some liquid soap, a bit of plastic wrap, gauze, tape and some para-chord. Yes I carried bandaids too but they are just a fast way to apply gauze and tape. This kit took up one of the small pockets on my pack. The spare socks took up more room. I always had more than I ever needed. (unless I had a migraine - but nothing helped with those anyway)

I also keep a small surgical kit and sutures at home, as well as quick clot. But I wouldn't use quick clot unless it was an extreme emergency because it has to be cleaned out after the bleeding stops. I have used the glue to glue my fingertip back on after almost taking it off with a mandolin. It worked. But I also used tons of gauze, changed twice daily, and finger cots. I also like the stretchy bandage that sticks to itself, like the kind used after you get a blood test. I've ordered a case of that. It works great to keep gauze on. With the school we operated, and just having five active kids, we've done our fair share of first aiding.

All the back-packing and wilderness camping I've done has given me a pretty good idea of what you might need in a first-aid kit.
3 triangular bandages, some liquid soap, a bit of plastic wrap, gauze, tape and some para-chord. Yes I carried bandaids too but they are just a fast way to apply gauze and tape. This kit took up one of the small pockets on my pack. The spare socks took up more room. I always had more than I ever needed. (unless I had a migraine - but nothing helped with those anyway)
I caught the toe of my on a log I was stepping over and pulled a groin muscle. Nothing in a first aid kit will help with that.

Ben

I have the blood clot gauze. Have never needed to use it but it's supposed to be less messy.

I caught the toe of my on a log I was stepping over and pulled a groin muscle. Nothing in a first aid kit will help with that.

You mean you don't have Jack, Jim, or Johnny, in your FAK?
51L4P0SyzqL._SS500.jpg

Last edited:
Some additional thoughts are:

If people have guns, they should probably also have first aid gear to treat gunshot wounds (and the knowledge how to use it).

When people are mixed with guns, the probability of accidental or intentional shooting is increased.

When acquiring supplies for gun shot wound first aid, allow that having to treat at least two wounds is quite likely - an entry and exit wound. So having one bandage and/or one Quikclot is quite likely to be insufficient. If the victim gets hit in a limb and then torso, you may be treating three or four wounds - and that assumes only a single round hit.

Regarding CATs (Combat Application Tourniquets) they are better than improvised alternatives in that they can be used by the patient on themself. They are also safer (do less tissue damage than things like paracord).

CATs are also a good thing to carry anytime you go chainsawing. A lot of people get very severe fast bleeding wounds from chainsaws.

What you carry in a bug out bag will need to be quite limited - so think hard about what you choose to be able to treat - it could be a life or death choice.

What you carry in a vehicle can be much more extensive (there is lots of spare space in most vehicles most of the time).

Feel free to add extra stuff to commercial first aid kits - they are usually put together with a strong focus upon cost and at the expense of capability. When you select a kit, get one with extra space for the other gear you add (or repackage the whole thing into a better container).

Since this post is in the prepping subforum, it is worth reiterating that some larger kits put together by preppers will try to provide first aid and treatment capabilities. While most people rarely need to self treat, that does not mean that self treatment is never required. In a very severe crisis, medical care systems get very quickly overwhelmed. At that point, you and your group are on your own.

It is better to have some good medical care supplies than to have to shoot people just because they are unsurvivably injured and you don't have the means to treat them..

First Aid kits are an ongoing work in progress, I think, and I need to work on mine. I have a smaller case that is not in my car, but meant for my car. I have mainly used band aids, alcohol wipes and ointment for wounds. I have lots of medical items at home, and that too needs work and organization.

I have tried tackle boxes and I don't like it. I cleaned it out and gave it to K for his fishing tackle.

I store our first aid supplies in totes. Various totes hold different things and they are organized by need or use. I keep the SHTF surgical supples in one while SHTF dental is in another and etc.

I have the blood clot gauze. Have never needed to use it but it's supposed to be less messy.

You mean you don't have Jack, Jim, or Johnny, in your FAK?
51L4P0SyzqL._SS500.jpg

Grey Goose.

Lots of it.

I have tried tackle boxes and I don't like it. I cleaned it out and gave it to K for his fishing tackle.

I store our first aid supplies in totes. Various totes hold different things and they are organized by need or use. I keep the SHTF surgical supples in one while SHTF dental is in another and etc.
I'm with you. I am not wild about the tackle boxes. They do keep things separated but I'm just not wild about them.

I have first aid gear and medical supplies in IFAK pouches, Packs, MTM SPUD boxes and tackle type boxes.

All those containers have their advantages and disadvantages.

For kits that get carried around a lot, wear and tear on the FA/medical items can be an issue (a lot of them have really flimsy packaging). One thing that is good about tackle type boxes is they reduce the physical damage of many small items better than most other containers.

Having small items organized in the top and bigger items underneath can also make it quicker to find things when an injured person is yelling at you......

This is my basic kit that is in my truck and it’s duplicated in my house. The one in my truck is in a water proof pistol case with foam inserts.

My kit has gauze, alcohol prep pads, tape, assorted packets of iodine and other type liquids/gels. It has a small surgical kit, stapler, ace bandages and a little fold out booklet that covers the basics, how to wrap sprains or bandage wounds etc. things I forget without a yearly first aid class. I even have a small magnifier and fire starter kit inside.

The brown glass and white plastic bottles are my big guns. I can treat a wide range of viral or bacterial infections like pneumonia or ebola. I’m not kidding, the first line med used to treat ebola by the CDC is an immunomodulator. I have an immunomodulator in my kit, its antiviral component killed the aids virus in mice when tested. I can speed the healing of broken bones, treat major joint injuries, treat a herniated disk in the spine and even stop internal bleeding (excluding major wounds/torn arteries that would require immediate surgery).

Photo #2… Everything in my kit is also in this photo in its natural form (except the metal tools in my surgical kit). An example of “knowledge is more important than gear”. In this part of the south over 1200 species of medicinal plants grow wild. I’ve spent the last 15yrs learning where these plants grow and how to use them.

I don't carry a large FAK because I don't need to. Most items in my kit are 1) nice to have/convenient 2) won't scare the natives.

First aid (5) sm.JPG
first aid 2 (2) sm sm.JPG

Last edited:
I bought one of the knock-off pelican cases at Harbor Freight to use as a FAK.
They are cheap, very well made and waterproof. They are available in 3 sizes so you can pack as much as you want.
They are not however backpack friendly but for a vehicle they are great.
One problem with having several kits is keeping track of expiration dates and the cost of replacing unused supplies. Some things I just ignore the dates other things I replace when they expire.
I read once there are 3 things you don't want to save money buying.
Mattresses, shoes, and safety equipment.

I use this burn ointment and it works amazingly well. It's on Amazon.
Yea I know it from China but what isn't?
Ching Wan Hung Soothing Herbal Balm for Burns & Itching

Last edited:
This is my basic kit that is in my truck and it’s duplicated in my house. The one in my truck is in a water proof pistol case with foam inserts.

My kit has gauze, alcohol prep pads, tape, assorted packets of iodine and other type liquids/gels. It has a small surgical kit, stapler, ace bandages and a little fold out booklet that covers the basics, how to wrap sprains or bandage wounds etc. things I forget without a yearly first aid class. I even have a small magnifier and fire starter kit.

The brown glass and white plastic bottles are my big guns. I can treat a wide range of viral or bacterial infections like pneumonia or ebola. I’m not kidding, the first line med used to treat ebola by the CDC is an immunomodulator. I have an immunomodulator in my kit, its antiviral component killed the aids virus in mice when tested. I can speed the healing of broken bones, treat major joint injuries, treat a herniated disk in the spine and even stop internal bleeding (excluding major wounds/torn arteries that would require immediate surgery).

Photo #2… Everything in my kit is also in this photo in its natural form (except the metal tools in my surgical kit). An example of “knowledge is more important than gear”. In this part of the south over 1200 species of medicinal plants grow wild. I’ve spent the last 15yrs learning where these plants grow and how to use them.

I don't carry a large FAK because I don't need to. Most items in my kit are 1) nice to have/convenient 2) won't scare the natives.

View attachment 60400View attachment 60401

SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

I have, everything I carry in my kit I've posted under "Natural Remedies".

However, looking at them tonight I realized there is a class of plants I haven't really touched on directly, astringents. There are literally dozens of plants that are astringent, drying, meaning they will stop external bleeding from cuts, even bad ones requiring stitches. They will also dry runny noses/sinuses so they are commonly added to flu and cold formulas.

I've mentioned plants that are astringent but haven't addressed them as a group. I'll work up something on astringent plants...

Latest posts

Back