First Aid Trick for a Burn

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a burn ointment from Amazon that works wonderful.
Ching Wan Hung Soothing Herbal Balm for Burns & Itching (0.35 oz)

I STILL cannot post Amazon links so if you are interested you will have to search Amazon.

I really wish someone could figure out what the problem is and get it corrected.

I STILL cannot post Amazon links so if you are interested you will have to search Amazon.

I really wish someone could figure out what the problem is and get it corrected.

thanks for the suggestion, i like having differetn options, ill check it out. ps--i have trouble posting amazon links now and then and still havent figured out why, lol

Whats the trick? I have metered satellite internet and can't watch every video in the forum.

the tip is use regular plain yellow mustard, smear on the burn and wrap in piece of aluminum foil. his example was burned fingers, he smeared the regular yellow mustard on it and rub it in, wipe off any messy ecess then wrap the finger in foil. says it helps heal faster, even with a blister, helps with taking heat out of the skin and helps relieve pain.
the guy recommends in your first aid kit to put some little restaurant pks of mustard and folded peices of foil in a baggie for burns. says he got this tip from emt friend who used to be a missionary in 3rd world country and it was common to do this.

Maybe this one?

One thing we found long ago when wife picked up a pan that had just come out of an oven. It raised small blisters right away. She right away started with cold water, soon as I could get it together put her hand ice ice water for a full 20 minutes. Patted it dry then let air dry. Then I applied Lavender Essential oil on the burn areas and wrapped in gauze.
It was still quite red and small blisters when it came out of the water. Next morning when we removed the gauze the blisters were gone and the skin while discolored, wasn't red any longer. The pain was mostly gone.
Not sure how that works, but it did. At the time I had just read about the oil in a herbal book I have. Good timing

Test

This is just a test of how to link from amazon.

(Pack of 6) Barrina LED T5 Integrated Single Fixture, 4FT, 2200lm, 6500K (Super Bright White), 20W, Utility Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, Corded Electric with Built-in ON/Off Switch
If you find the item in a browser like google and go to the item on Amazon there is a share icon (3 dots conected via line) and then copy 5he link.

If i go to my Amazon app i dont get 5he share button.

Ben

White, brown and black mustards have been used for centuries, especially black mustard. The earliest reference I saw was in the year 1527. It was used extensively in american medicine through out the 1800’s, usually in the form of poultices. For example, it was used for pleurisy until the advent of modern antibiotics. It was also commonly used by rural americans until the 1940’s for a wide range of ailments.

The seeds were most commonly used over other parts of the plant, found nothing about that other than the leaves to cover a poultice. The great Tommie Bass ordered black mustard seed for medicinal use. It was the only part he used, unless he wanted a hotdog or a mess of greens.

All that said, mustard works very differently than folks might think. It’s actually a skin irritant.

From one of my books… "Interest in mustard as a counter-irritant – that is, a remedy which by irritating the skin was intended to counter or check deeper lying afflictions".

Now that statement opens the door to an approach to medicine not commonly used today. That’s not to say it doesn’t work, it does work but it’s not intuitive.

It’s sort of like using cayenne pepper on a cut. Cayenne is a skin irritant, this triggers a blood flow response from our body. With more blood flow the cut it will heal faster than without cayenne. Clearly mustard would do this also.

Still, I recommend caution, irritants don't always give the expected result. Like my ex-mil, if irritants healed the woman would have cured cancer. 🤣

Mustard packets for burns? Personally I can think of a couple dozen plants I would use first but I might try it if desperate measures were called for.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing any images posted with Amazon links. Just a blank space where the image should be.
When you guys post the link does it have media bracketing the url?

This is a cut n paste of my above in plain text.

"
This is just a test of how to link from amazon.

(Pack of 6) Barrina LED T5 Integrated Single Fixture, 4FT, 2200lm, 6500K (Super Bright White), 20W, Utility Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, Corded Electric with Built-in ON/Off Switch [M-EDIA=amazon]B01HBT3BVM[/M-EDIA]

If you find the item in a browser like google and go to the item on Amazon there is a share icon (3 dots conected via line) and then copy 5he link.
"
Edit

I changed the word "MEDIA" to "M-EDIA" to trick out the firmatting.

Does that help?

What browser are you using?

Ben

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.25.30 PM.png

Used mustard for years on burns. And also works really good on bee/wasper stings. My soon got in a yellow jackets nest last summer. He walked up too me and said “daddy get the mustard them dang bees got me!”

Makes perfect sense now that I've done a little reading. Mustard has another special attribute, it acts as a drawing agent. In other words it draws things like insect venom from the skin. There are several plants that do this, the best known is plantain.

I'm still puzzled as to how it interacts with burns. There is little written about mustard in modern herbal literature. I know a great deal was written about it by physicians 150yrs ago. Guess I need to make a call to the sage of Lookout Mtn. He has a great library, many books from the 1800's and earlier. He would also know exactly how Tommie Bass used it and why.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to have to check out mustard - if it's good at drawing, maybe it can replace those super expensive hydrocolloid bandages we're using for some skin conditions.

I'll check it out for burns as well, but for quick instant relief, we haven't found anything better than Burn Free: BurnFree Pain Relieving Gel, 4oz (120ml) squeeze bottle . A bottle that lasts us years is $6 - and can be found at most pharmacies. We keep ours in the fridge, and it's extra cold comfort for anything from sunburn to more serious burns!

It's good to know. If I'm at a picnic and don't have any other options, I'll definitely give it a try.

Just FYI, we've used albolene since I was a kid to sooth the pain of a sunburn. It draws out the heat, relieves the pain, and moistens the skin so there is less peeling after the tissue heals. It's a clear gel like substance that can leave a bit of a clear oil stain on clothes so apply it to the skin and then wear old, soft, grubby clothes or pajamas that you don't care about. You'll feel 100% better after a day and feel immediate relief upon applying it to the skin b/c it instantly cools. I have several containers of this in storage just in case they quit making it. I allways have one in the camper.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Albolene...nger-Looking-Skin-12-oz/46548742?athbdg=L1600

Latest posts

Back