First egg today.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanabill

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just gathered my first egg from my flock of 12 chickens. It has been a while raising them and keeping the dogs and foxes away.
I might have mystery nests scattered around as I just hung up my nests yesterday.
This one was brown but i hope my ariconas start laying those easter eggs.

Just gathered my first egg from my flock of 12 chickens. It has been a while raising them and keeping the dogs and foxes away.
I might have mystery nests scattered around as I just hung up my nests yesterday.
My Americana tended lay seasonally like Bantams until she got older. She then laid 1-2 a week and was a broody girl. She actually lived 12 years!

Congrats on the first egg!

Congrats, finally get the pay off for all the work. I have isa browns. The first few eggs they lay are small, sometimes just over an inch long. A perfect egg, except little. I also get a lot of double yolk eggs when they first start. This one was interesting... a double yolk egg but one yolk is regular, the other one tiny. Perfectly fine to eat.

Eggs a  (4).JPG

Growing up our family raised quite a few layers and fryers, We always got to eat the doubles, anomalies and the blood spots.

My current little flock has been eating grasshoppers and free ranging in our half acre backyard which includes our garden so their eggs should be extra nutritious right now. They don't even want to eat the layer feed I have for them, preferring cracked corn, kitchen scraps and poking around the weeds and garden. I have grit and oyster shells available to them as well.

We have 12 Barred Rocks, 8 Road Island Reds and a Red rooster, our dear friends gave us the Barred Rocks and were going to take the Reds to their coop, I told our friends they could have them all and just give us some eggs when we need them they are just starting to lay small perfect eggs, 3 to 4 a day, I love having chickens around but changing water and making sure the feed can is full is getting a bit much for me, I've lost about 5-6 pounds and I'm feeling a bit stronger but running up and down the hill to take care of the chickens and going for the mail still kind of wears me out, getting older is not for the weak willed, thankfully my friend Tom like doing things for us, he's about the same age as our son, our son hasn't been here to visit in over a year, but that's another story, anyway Tom and his wife are more family than our own family.

We have 12 Barred Rocks, 8 Road Island Reds and a Red rooster, our dear friends gave us the Barred Rocks and were going to take the Reds to their coop, I told our friends they could have them all and just give us some eggs when we need them they are just starting to lay small perfect eggs, 3 to 4 a day, I love having chickens around but changing water and making sure the feed can is full is getting a bit much for me, I've lost about 5-6 pounds and I'm feeling a bit stronger but running up and down the hill to take care of the chickens and going for the mail still kind of wears me out, getting older is not for the weak willed, thankfully my friend Tom like doing things for us, he's about the same age as our son, our son hasn't been here to visit in over a year, but that's another story, anyway Tom and his wife are more family than our own family.
Yup!
That is why we invested in the side by side. Eight or so years ago I ran up and down hills but now 64 not happy with that.

Ben

Latest posts

Back