• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

First reloading gear

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

GreenAcres

Super Friend
Neighbor
Hey folks,

I have been going back and forth on reloading my own ammo for a year or so, and I finally made the decision to make the leap.

I have been looking at different kits and bundles, and. I have came across this one:

I think this is pretty complete. I’ll need a set of dues, but otherwise I think that’s it.

what do y’all think? Is there a better bundle for the price?

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Looks like a good setup to learn on. When I go to gun shows I pickup old reloading books, usually for $5. One it is nice to compare recipes and sometimes they old books have loadings that the newer books leave out. You have decided on a fun hobby.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Looks solid to me too. Lyman has been in the reloading game for a long time.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Green Acres. What calibers are you wanting to reload? Only pistol or rifle or both?

I'll agree with Caribou, it appears to be a good starter set. Because of the manual indexing, manual powder measuring and dispensing I believe it suited for small quantity of reloading. I don't care for the adjustment rod that needs to be adjusted every time to keep the tool head from flexing.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Dillion makes fantastic reloading equipment. It is not good to start learning reloading with. A single stage or turret press is a good start. A progressive press is for someone with experience.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Being e a longtime reloader and a creaky old geezer (both physically and mentally). I don't like any of the 'starter' kits out there, nor any of the progressive contraptions designed to hurry the process. I especially don't like progressives for a beginning reloader. I don't even like a turret press for a beginning reloader.

I'm contributing this contrariness because I'm known here to be a reloader - and - a forum member who seems to have an opinion about most everything. So I didn't want you folks to wonder why I'm holding back. I don't reload to manufacture ammo. I reload because I enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting, and field-stripping the gun and cleaning it and reassembling it. So if the reloading goes too fast, I'm shortchanging myself.

I hope you find reloading at least half the pleasure that I do, GreenAcres.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As VT said reload because ya enjoy it, ya aint gonna save money...second, start with a single stage there are too many little things you need to learn that cannot be absorbed from utube or even a coupla classes one to one, its gonna take time like 9mm is a "straight wall" but different, why? and what do you do differently when you reload them? I still have and use my original RCBS rock chucker single stage and that is all I use.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
All I've used since about 1978 is an RCBS Jr., that and hand casting bullets is the only way I could afford to shoot my .44 Mag Redhawk as factory ammo can be expensive for that caliber. For some calibers there is bulk ammo that can be had for far less than hand loading, thing is, I hate wasting good brass and with the shortages of ammo that have been showing up since Obama was in office, whatever I've fired, I reload. With the shortages of powder, bullets and primers, the prices have really gone up, so as others have mentioned, you may not save money by handloading, but it's a good thing to be able to do, just remember to keep powder and primers stored in a cool dry place where temps don't vary a great deal and they will last a very long time.

Frodo

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
right here right now maybe later over there
my 2 cents
look on craigs list or other such places for a used single stage press
if you can find a 60 year old cast iron herters you will be doing good
buy all used equipment except your scale, buy a new beam scale not a digital

a few yeas ago. lots of people nt nuts buying reload equipment, then lost interest. buy that slightly used stuff.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My shooting buddies are divided on presses. One uses Hornady, one uses a Rock Chucker, but the one who reloads the most uses an RCBS Partner. That's one of the smallest and cheapest that RCBS makes and he's been using that press for almost 40 years. It does everything from 30/'06 to .38 Special with ease.

I have an El Cheapo, Lee press. It's busted at the moment. I'm searching for used presses now, brand unimportant, but not Lee...

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My shooting buddies are divided on presses. One uses Hornady, one uses a Rock Chucker, but the one who reloads the most uses an RCBS Partner. That's one of the smallest and cheapest that RCBS makes and he's been using that press for almost 40 years. It does everything from 30/'06 to .38 Special with ease.

I have an El Cheapo, Lee press. It's busted at the moment. I'm searching for used presses now, brand unimportant, but not Lee...
I run a Rockchucker, but possess a Hornady that is a slightly smaller version of it. I used to reload 30-06, and the Rockchucker provides more leverage during resizing. You want the Hornady, I'll mail it to you. You can cover shipping.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I run a Rockchucker, but possess a Hornady that is a slightly smaller version of it. I used to reload 30-06, and the Rockchucker provides more leverage during resizing. You want the Hornady, I'll mail it to you. You can cover shipping.
Thanks, but I just closed a deal on another press.

GreenAcres

Super Friend
Neighbor
Wow, somehow notifications got turned off on this and I am just now reading all of this.

I mainly want to reload 5.56, 30-06, and 6.5 creedmore. My 7.62 rounds can be found for cheap. I don’t like running the cheap stuff through my AR, and am getting into long range target shooting, I have been doing that for years now, but I recently decided to get serious with it and I purchased a purpose built rifle.

I used to shoot trap competitively and my grandpa and I used to load all of our own shells for that, so I’m not completely new, but I have never done anything with a brass case.

I have his old smelter and molds, and 150 pounds of lead... so if I ever decide to do target loads for my .44 or .45 lc I have the stuff, but right now, it’s not really a priority.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
my 2 cents
look on craigs list or other such places for a used single stage press
if you can find a 60 year old cast iron herters you will be doing good
buy all used equipment except your scale, buy a new beam scale not a digital

a few yeas ago. lots of people nt nuts buying reload equipment, then lost interest. buy that slightly used stuff.
When I started serious reloading I bought a Ohaus 10-10 beam scale, it's compact and accurate, I think I payed about $35 back in the 70's, they are about double that price now, but they are well worth getting.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am expanding this offer to any member beginning reloading.

I also agree with the posts recommending to start out with a new beam scale. New, because, though a beam scale is a simple device, it relies for accuracy on a 'knife edge' that is easily dinged by careless handling. The ding is fixable, but why start out with it?

The nice thing about the single stage press and the beam scale is that they will always be useful to you, no matter where reloading takes you.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
If you are into serious long range target work, you might want to look at some hand dies and an arbor press. You can take a setup like this to the range with you, so it will be easy to test and tweak your loads right there. You would want a standard reloading setup in addition to a hand die setup, because a hand die setup is specialized, not general purpose (i.e., you can't full length resize with an arbor press, but you can neck resize).

If you are just getting into long range precision, the hand die setup might be a bit over the top. However, you might want to keep it in mind for later, so you don't waste your money on an expensive progressive setup when your goal is super accurate handloads. Or buy a bunch of mediocre dies which may go unused once you start reloading for precision rather than bulk. Progressives are great when you want to crank out a ton of ammo for just blasting away. But if your goal is precision long range target, a progressive may not be your best choice.

Here's a little write-up on hand dies to show you what they are:

Reloading 101: Introduction to Hand Dies

GreenAcres

Super Friend
Neighbor
Awesome guys, as soon as our remodel is over, I am going to pull the trigger.
I just bought a Howa 6.5 chassis gun to do long range fun.
I am expanding this offer to any member beginning reloading.

I also agree with the posts recommending to start out with a new beam scale. New, because, though a beam scale is a simple device, it relies for accuracy on a 'knife edge' that is easily dinged by careless handling. The ding is fixable, but why start out with it?

The nice thing about the single stage press and the beam scale is that they will always be useful to you, no matter where reloading takes you.
If no one wants it, I’ll be glad to take it off your hands.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I used to take donated reloading equipment, repair it and give it to new reloaders. If I had anything to offer I would send it your way.
If anyone has equipment that they no longer use or is in some way damaged you can send it to me and I will refurbish it and find a new home for it. I can fix scales, powder measures, presses, and some dies if they are not too rusty. Just slip me a PM and I will give you my contact information.
It does my heart good to see a new reloader fire his first reloads.

Latest posts