First responder

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBob

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So one of my goals is to become more prepared in the treatment of injuries....to that end, I am currently taking a First Responder course at the training center. Got here Friday night, classes 8-5 Saturday though Friday.
Brain frazzled doing a semester course in 7 days, Thursday doing practicals, Friday the exam. Wish me luck.
The bonus is that upon successful completion, I'll get a fully stocked trauma kit. :) and the class was paid for through a grant to our fire station.

That's a bit much in a few days but hopefully much of it is review since your on a fd. Many folks have different learning styles and retention abilities but it seems fairly universal that repeated training especially in EMS is the best training for most. Practice, Debrief, Redo, Practice, Practice, and more Practice..Teach at some point if you can.
We master what we Teach..
I was horrible the first few First Aid /CPR classes I did..but over time..I got my gig down good. It was one of my best teachings to folks and I enjoyed it a lot. It was YEARS before I ever had to acutally use CPR on a kid.
A drowning ...was already under water for about 15 minutes before I got on scene..but I just fell right into training..so much that, I didn't notice my shirt was..well..Not a good shirt for performing CPR but I was so involved in what I was doing I didn't notice I was giving my team a show...yea..yikes..
maybe a few didn't care or notice anyways..we were all about trying to save this kid, had to hike up a steep riverbank doing chest compressions and breathing ..I noticed when I did them wrong the kid started turning purple, so Id adjust my technique and postion as best I could and finally on top of the road we, (Me and the other team members performing CPR )hustled away in the ambulance to the hospital.
The child didn't survive unfortunetly...had been underwater too long but we did the best we could. Although now I'm years out of practice and need recerting..where I work I seem to get ample opportunity to fall back into training and take care of business when the need presents itself..seems to be often lately too ..

That sounds like an ETT class to me and an excellent place to start. That is how I started. When it came time to recert I took EMT and got recruited by the local ambulance squad. I highly recommend fire/ambulance service for anyone that has the time to volunteer.

It's the First Responder / EMR class. Day 3 done, Test 2 passed.
Lost 1 woman who decided the living conditions weren't up to her standards. Several rooms broken into at the dorms by the what appears to have been college students who were let into the dorms by someone. Laptops, gear bags, and other items stolen. Luckily we were spared.
I find it amusing that this is also the Arkansas Law Enforcement Training Center, as well as the Arkansas Fire Academy...it's all on the SAU Tech campus, and there still isn't a cop around when you need one :)

4 more days.

Day 4 complete. Tied for top score on the quiz today. Ran some practice scored practicals, scored high enough to pass so I'm not worried about that on Thursday anymore.
Final on Friday should be golden.
Freakin fatigued though. 5 chapters a day, so many things to remember. I recommend this though.

Help what? I'm already in CERT in my home county.
This is First Responder, it's a medical thing...EMR.

Day 5 completed, tied high score again. Only 8 of us actually passed the test.
Practicals tomorrow...gah
It wasn't addressed to you. It was addressed to backlash, in your thread. Some CERT courses go a lot more in depth and one thing can lead to another and maybe it would give him a lead on something to someone who might know what direction he could go in his area.

Good for you. Congratulations.

@TBob A class I strongly recommend you take after the one you are currently taking...I started down this same path a few years ago...

https://thehumanpath.net/

Wilderness First Aid Certification, currently he is only offering is a "Winter Wilderness First Aid Certification – Denver"

In summer months I know he teaches this class in western NC and WV. It’s modern emergency medicine combined with plant medicine… excellent class.

Sam Coffman, a "Master Herbalist" was a special forces medic in the 80's, was taught ditch medicine (plant medicine) in case his medical supplies were lost on a mission. After the military he studied Herbal Medicine and has become one of best in our nation today.

Funny, earlier tonight I posted about a "Nasty Raccoon". I wrote about leaving home for a plant class with experts. That class was with my friend, Sam Coffman. :)

Day 6 complete, tied top score on daily test.
Practicals day..I passed 3 of 4, will retest that one tomorrow after the final exam. Rookie mistake, on the easiest test..forgot to call for ALS transport. Gah.
Aced the Trauma and Multiple Trauma practicals, 7 people failed both. of those, it looks like 5 will never get it on the retest tomorrow and will not get their certification. 1 has already given up and left.
These are all fulltime firefighters. Most of the ones who failed have went out to the bars tonight instead of studying. Oh well.

Oh, and my buddy and I are the 2 oldest people to come through the class here. :) I feel special

Woohoo! Emergency Medical Responder, here I am!
Didn't make the top score though :) I got a 93% over all, top score was 94%. A girl I worked with yesterday on some things got it. She had to repeat because she failed her nationals last time.
Out of 20 starting, 11 made it through. They'll continue on to rookie school Monday, and as much as they wanted me to join them, I'm not a career firefighter, just a volunteer for many years, and been there done that. They said there won't be anyone as funny as me in rookie school, plus they wanted to see me shave my beard :)
I am glad to be back home....we had our meals prepared by AR State prisoners, and ate the Law Enforcement Training Academy...we won't talk about that.

Congrats @TBob I'm pretty sure my friend Sam will teach his wilderness emergency medicine certification class next summer at an another friends School in Low Gap NC (Thomas Easley). Both these guys will overload you with plant medicine. In a Grid down situation... plants are all we're going to have. These guys are two of the best in the country. :)

Peanut, I'm going to look into your friends classes too.. When I lived in Ca, I had a bunch of plant ID books on useful and medicinal plants of Ca. Id walk around different places discovering. As a teen I got into reading the Jean Auel series, the clan of the cave bear and my interest in real plants and uses exploded into a fun hobby. The last decade or so..I haven't been too active like I used to in this arena. But what a great way to tie in two interests of mine with some pro classes and instruction. This reminds me I need to find a good ID plant id book.

Peanut, I'm going to look into your friends classes too.. When I lived in Ca, I had a bunch of plant ID books on useful and medicinal plants of Ca. Id walk around different places discovering. As a teen I got into reading the Jean Auel series, the clan of the cave bear and my interest in real plants and uses exploded into a fun hobby. The last decade or so..I haven't been too active like I used to in this arena. But what a great way to tie in two interests of mine with some pro classes and instruction. This reminds me I need to find a good ID plant id book.
That will be a great class, I'll try to find a way. My friend Lisa from Texas comes up and woods walks here

Latest posts

Back