"FISH OIL" Storage........"Long-Long-Long TERM + [fish-oil-lures-and-urine.]

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on subject matter....

fish oil and making lure. i admit i never made lure per say for trapping. but i see guys using fish oils and other oils to their secret concoctions. i have looked and it seems as if all the oil is advertised as 100% fish oil,shellfish oils etc.

if i was going to make bait /lure...i would keep all beaver castors and any scent glands from all animals i harvested or could harvest from winter kill etc. then use these to blend up and mix with fish oil i make.

i once read article guy used honey in a tin can and set a sterno can under it and let it burn. he said that burnt honey drew bear in for his bow kills.

i know SD wants real world this is about all i got.

i have an outbuilding filled with trapping and hound supplies. i know i have lures in there along with bottles of various urines like fox,mink etc. i think theres trapping oil but not 100%.i do know i have a partial gallon jug of cod liver oil i fed hounds a squirt of ever so often. the building has never been below -15f but its been well over 100f for long periods. once i get in the building i can crack the lids and give these sniff tests.they are all over 15 years old now.

Also back to the topic.

I save grease from bacon and other fatty meats, so this is something that "potentially" will always be available. I wonder is cooking grease mixed with dog food would work in a pinch? I do not know, but I would think this might be a good attractant.

In my area, cooking bacon, or popcorn, or gumbo in my kitchen draws bears like crazy. Even with the windows shut.

Oh, and making elderberry syrup is a huge draw as well.

It's getting to where if I want any of these things outside of bear-hunting season, I would need to cook it off the premises.

No, I will not SSS or send them to Freezer Camp. Some of the bears around here have been microchipped for tracking studies. I don't want their last known location to be on my property, lol.

Last edited:
Thing is, in a severe SHTF situation, the supply of bacon, dog food, even popcorn will be too short to use for bear bait. Fishing and trapping for bear bait materials may not always be practical in some situations...

Bottled oils and scents will save the day!

@Sourdough well as promised i done best i could. building is full but had a big hail storm here and ran me out of my gardens. so i decided to look in building and see exactly what i could see that was easy to reach or not. well up front easy like i got the cod liver oil,coyote urine and a few new bottles of various lures. the cod liver oil jug was partially collapsed. it looked fine though maybe a bit darker but not to dark you can see through it. but it definitely has a rancid odor to it. not bad per say but it sorta reminded me of some old mink oil i had and some very old neets foot oil. i actually have a can of it from the 60's...lol...thanks dad !

urine..the urine smelled ...well...like urine still.

lures...i opened all and they all smelled of good lure.urine,oils,glands etc. the coon lure definitely has anise in it as a ingredient.

these lures and urine was made/gathered by john coakley of trappers haven. he is no longer in business. i feel sure these have zero preservatives in them but cant swear to it.

as to the age...cod liver oil has price tag on $14.99...by the tag i know were it came from.they closed in 2007 but i had this jug before then for sure.

as to lures and urine..i know it was made and bought before 2005.

theres are more bottles farther in this building but i make no promises of when or if i get to them. i know theres fox urine,bobcat urines.there may be other attractants and lures as well. i am not sure if i used all of those or not.

done my best for real world stuff for you.

DSC03496.JPG

DSC03499.JPG

DSC03494.JPG

DSC03498.JPG

DSC03501.JPG

I use Beaver Caster for a lot of projects. I get a special "Federal Subsistence permit" that allows insane fish and game harvests.........but a super sweet deal, is one "Beaver" per-day (must salvage either the meat or the pelt or both)

About $45.00 to $60.00 a gallon for the fish oil today.

Note: The other thread was deleted by management, I think that was a fair and prudent decision. Sadly it did contain a lot of good information that will be denied future researchers.

@Sourdough @Grizzleyette___Adams we can turn this thread into a super thread filled with info.lets do it. i will be back later to post. i know a few things and have a few suggestions that wont help sourdough out as much as grizzgal because of location.

@Grizzleyette___Adams if i wanted to kill a bear in a shtf time. in spring time they love to eat dandelions. its one of the ways you can see if bear are up and truly active.see blooms see bear.they graze grass as well. also they climb trees in spring time and eat the first shoots on ash trees and sometimes poplar. with the ash borer killing all the ash trees this might be a thing of the past for them.another thing is in spring bear who were dened up look for winter kill deer/elk etc. i seen elk carcasses being ate on when ground was still partially covered in snows but partial exposed and it was warm.

possible lure might be made from fused oil with blooms? we know how much they like to eat acorns and hickory nuts. i wonder if pressed into oil to have a type of lure would work? certain hickories are much like pecan and much better, those are the hickories they hit hardest.

in early summer bears hit the feral cherries trees in forests. in summers in west they peel trees to eat the cambium layers of trees and ruin trees for timber and the big scars allow tree to decay and die pretty fast.they just dont recover.i have never seen a bear peel a tree in eastern half of u.s.

i was in maine and trapping bear was still legal.not sure if it is still or not. but i got to see bait barrels and guys were trapping/foot snaring bears. it was pretty interesting to see set up for foot snaring a bear. you need to use a stop on snare so it doesnt close tight on foot.

in fall go to white oaks and white oak groves this is first acorns ready they love them.

blah blah blah

@Grizzleyette___Adams if i wanted to kill a bear in a shtf time. in spring time they love to eat dandelions. its one of the ways you can see if bear are up and truly active.see blooms see bear.they graze grass as well. also they climb trees in spring time and eat the first shoots on ash trees and sometimes poplar. with the ash borer killing all the ash trees this might be a thing of the past for them.another thing is in spring bear who were dened up look for winter kill deer/elk etc. i seen elk carcasses being ate on when ground was still partially covered in snows but partial exposed and it was warm.

possible lure might be made from fused oil with blooms? we know how much they like to eat acorns and hickory nuts. i wonder if pressed into oil to have a type of lure would work? certain hickories are much like pecan and much better, those are the hickories they hit hardest.

in early summer bears hit the feral cherries trees in forests. in summers in west they peel trees to eat the cambium layers of trees and ruin trees for timber and the big scars allow tree to decay and die pretty fast.they just dont recover.i have never seen a bear peel a tree in eastern half of u.s.

i was in maine and trapping bear was still legal.not sure if it is still or not. but i got to see bait barrels and guys were trapping/foot snaring bears. it was pretty interesting to see set up for foot snaring a bear. you need to use a stop on snare so it doesnt close tight on foot.

in fall go to white oaks and white oak groves this is first acorns ready they love them.

blah blah blah
Not seen a bear but did see the result of deer on 6-7 year old trees. The deer use them to remove velvet and terrorize the trees

Ben

heres underneath a large chestnut oak bear was in feeding. they just bite everything off and you can find what look to be slivered almonds under as well.its slivers of the acorns fall from their mouth as they chew.this was end of sept and no reason for leaves to fall on ground nor for leaves to have small twigs attached. they were severed when bear bit clumps of acorns. i have seen bear make a giant nest in a tree like a squirrel nest. once i noticed what i walked up on a looked straight up to be sure bear still wasnt in tree feeding or hiding waiting on me to pass by.i was putting in a boundary line on property and making lots of noise with sandvik axe and putting signs up. i probably ran him out of this trees just minutes before getting to it.close up of twig you can see its severed pretty clean by their teeth.

9-28-13 092.JPG

9-28-13 099.JPG

9-28-13 096.JPG

9-28-13 100.JPG

With all this talk of bears, I thought you might want to see some of ours. Hopefully, you can view the album on our public Facebook page. All of these photos have been taken from our front porch. The bears visit our front yard without and baiting. I think or yard is on a some kind of bear travel route.

Bear Photo Album

I have taken the time to pull the information about the topic out of the two threads to make this one thread. I'm sure it will stay on topic of these topics in the title. Some friendly banter is out and some not so friendly banter is out. And there is some banter edited out.

It is about storage and such things. Not about finding the easier way to do something. And please, no one has anything they need to prove. Just help with the information that is being discussed.

And I'm sure everyone will be a lady or gentleman when presenting on topic information. I'll be checking in and deleting anything that is not on this topic.

Thanks to the moderators, administrators, owners......for resurrecting this thread. There is a good fair amount of information in this thread. I realize some.....perhaps many find this subject repulsive to some degree. I have never "baited" bears, don't have any plan to bait bears, but I want to have all of the supplies and skills and tools......."READY".

Decades ago (many-many decades ago) I was often a passenger in very small aircraft (two seats, one for pilot and one for the one passenger). And I had zero interest in being a pilot, but should the SHTF while I was a passenger......with either the airframe, engine or pilot........I decided I wanted to learn the "basics" of driving a PA-18-150 ......just incase.

So for me this (bear baiting) is learning the basics of bear baiting......just in case.

And I did go on to get a pilots license, then commercial pilots license, then make money flying other peoples planes. And sometimes crashing other peoples planes. There is actually a lot of "skill" in crashing planes.

@Sourdough you know i dont eat bear anymore as i only eat biblicaly clean now. but i can give you the wee bit of info i do have from the baiting i did and the time i spent in timber operations in various places.

sidenote for grizzgal..i seen bear just mash the old abandoned apple orchards in maine and hit meadows of blueberrys in the west.

food,lure = bear....really goes for all game.

@Grizzleyette___Adams @Sourdough here is something else i used. it was made for deer hunters but it works for whatever. i have no idea if this even still made or available. we know certain items are low stock over c-19 deal past 18 ish months..so. but anyway evolved habitat gels use to come in 4 flavors. i think there is still some in my building but not sure and not sure if/when i can get to it or if its there to report back on how stable its been in that building over these years. but i do see they have another product that i bet would work great..mostly for grizzgal. buck jam in honey acorn flavor. after seeing bears stop eating cake to eat acorn crop over multiple years.i would put stock in this as a lure.theres other flavors as well that depending on area would work. one is an apple flavor. just think in a year where late frost killed off apple blooms you could use it to enhance that long apple tree or abandoned orchard that bear in past hit hard. i will try and take time to show how to make simple lure bottles from trash and you can modify it accordingly to your desires.

R8699869b4e6dbbdc22f3345de66f9e7b

Thanks, @elkhound. Wow. That Buck Jam sure is priced right. I looked online and see that it is available from Tractor Supply for less than $5 gallon. Bookmarking this!

The Buck Snort isn't priced too bad either.

Another possibility may be super concentrated scents ("essential oils") that last many years (nearly forever) and take up little space. A few drops on something absorbent (punk wood, fabric, etc.) along with melted fat or oil of some kind as a carrier to prolong the scent time and to keep it from evaporating in the air....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=apple+essential+oil&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
There are other scents such as cherry, watermelon, strawberry, etc.

Not sure how SD's Coastal Brown Bears would regard any of this, but the Canadian Saskatchewan Black bears (that were imported many years ago into my area by the local Game & Fish Department) would LOVE all this stuff.

Latest posts

Back