"FISH OIL" Storage........"Long-Long-Long TERM + [fish-oil-lures-and-urine.]

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I am thinking "freeze" it in the bottom of one of the chest freezers. Anyone have a gooder idea for super loooong term storage of "Survival Fish Oil"..........????

I don’t think that you can do any better than freezing it. You want cold, not a heat process...... the only thing I can offer is use glass containers. Plastic, even quality brands like Tupperware, will not protect your product. I’ve had cider frozen for 3 years in Mason jars and it was still very good.

..Anyone have a gooder idea for super loooong term storage of "Survival Fish Oil"..........????

Well, I mean.. Better than those 'Tall' cans of Red Sockeye, bone/skin and all? Usually good for at Least 5-6 yrs, IIrc, and no freezing required.. Or, are you talking more like the 'Omega-3 supplement'-level? Or am I entirely on the wrong frequency altogether? :)

jd

I have Northern Catch pink Salmon 418g best by JUN 2025
So that is vacuumed can at room temperture for 4 years.

I have Northern Catch pink Salmon 418g best by JUN 2025
So that is vacuumed can at room temperture for 4 years.

Thanks for bringing this up,we have some vitimins we need to store too. Maybe freeze cod liver oil,man that stuff was nasty tasting when mama made us take it from a spoon.

My wife is into plant based vitimins, has me on all that stuff inculdingplant based Omega 3,5,6,7,9. I like the Salmon taste & it is easy & fast to prepare.

Fish oil is very fragile and oxidizes easily. Krill oil contains astaxanthin which stabilizes it way longer than fish oil. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory and inflammation is the root cause of nearly all the decline of human health known. All the other omegas are far more easily obtained from food -- only omega 3 is hard to get I think (many experts but not mainstream) agree it's most important for wellness. Plant based omega 3's require biologic conversion to the usable form and only a small percentage gets converted. This is my area of extensive knowledge tho I am probably not the expert I wish I were. Wrote a book about it all tho.

Ellie, I am not exactly clear what you are saying. I take the MegaRed krill oil as one of my daily supplements. If I understand your premise correctly, I would be better served to switch back to the omega 3 derived from salmon. The high potency omega 3 stuff produces a horrific body odor in some folks.

I take omega 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, which are all plant based from algal oil, pomegranate seeds oil, raspberry seeds oil, sea buckthorn berry oil, safflower seed oil, tomato seed oil.
However the seeds must be cracked to release the oils or eating them in the fruit will not release the oil.

Ellie, I am not exactly clear what you are saying. I take the MegaRed krill oil as one of my daily supplements. If I understand your premise correctly, I would be better served to switch back to the omega 3 derived from salmon. The high potency omega 3 stuff produces a horrific body odor in some folks.

No, sorry if I was not clear, the opposite. Another advantage of krill is that is is already in the form used by our cells (phospholipids) where fish oil needs a conversion to be used. It takes less krill oil for that reason. And both fish and krill are effective but for storage I'd choose krill for it's more stabile. I do not know about body odor, I'd suspect the oil is rancid to produce that. Never ran into anyone with that problem. Just folks who lose all their chronic pain with enough Omega 3.

I take omega 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, which are all plant based from algal oil, pomegranate seeds oil, raspberry seeds oil, sea buckthorn berry oil, safflower seed oil, tomato seed oil.
However the seeds must be cracked to release the oils or eating them in the fruit will not release the oil.

Hi Joel...the way to determine how the Omega 3 is at reducing inflammation is called a CRP test. Since our culture and the standard American diet is highly inflammatory, we all have a level of chronic inflammation that causes damage and pain. I think Omega 3's are the first aid for getting it down then we can work on the specifics that are causing inflammation--many books of what those are, including mine. If your CRP blood test is over one, even the mainstream docs say risk is too high. Many experts say close to zero is far better. So what's your CRP? That is the report card. Omega 6 works opposite Omega 3 and tho we need both (not too much clotting or too much bleeding) for a balance, the standard american diet is way heavy on Omega 6's and way low on 3's. Six comes from plant sources, 3 comes from animal sources.

Joel, I am not arguing that, I just think the blood test is the way to prove or disprove it. I'm very empirical on all this nutrition stuff. I like to have proof of the things I try. At almost 77 I am still running my farm by myself so I know what works for me but I proved it all along the way.

I am sorry, I am not saying you are wrong in anything you said, after all, you wrote the book on omegas.
I am telling you what I learned from my health Coach. I know so little about omegas & am sharing what I have been told. I think one of the reasons they are pushing the plant based product is to get me off red meat. Red meat has little to do with omega 3 fish oil, but lower red meat will lower CRP. I was on fish oil before I went to the plant based omegas. I had hoped that plant based omegas had a higher shelf live, because not animal fats, but can not find any proof of that.

I remember back in the 40's and 50's the home cure or preventive for everything was a teaspoon of Cod Liver Oil......once a day.

I remember back in the 40's and 50's the home cure or preventive for everything was a teaspoon of Cod Liver Oil......once a day.

Well, it was still a thing back in the 1960s too!

Father always used cod liver oil, to feed to the calves.

Anyone considered leaving the fish oil in the lake until you need it? :rolleyes: sort of obvious when you think about it. Just add fish to your diet occasionally.

Is the fish oil part of a bear bait recipe? Try bottled cod liver oil. It's easily pourable, unlike the more expensive fish oil capsules.

Father always used cod liver oil, to feed to the calves.

Yes.......that is what this fish oil I purchase by the gallon is intended for.......animals. It is still painfully expensive.

Yes.......that is what this fish oil I purchase by the gallon is intended for.......animals. It is still painfully expensive.

since this is for bait. why not render it down yoiurself. you put it in jars and in the heat and it settles out.this is going on from the many trapping seminars i use to attended back in the day. i seen a guy had gallons of glass jars filled with fish and top several inches was oil. but getting to this point you have to rot it down and have it around.i never done it because i knew it would do nothing but draw the bears to the yard it was being done in.

horse hoof lure...you need to make you some. i am sure moose hooves will work in a pinch .this stuff stinks like nothing else.

i am sure theres a preservative for fish oil lures.i am just begun digging into a building now for clean up and reorganizing.its full of my old trapping stuff.i am pretty sure theres oil lure there i will look see if i cansee the preservative in it on label.

if i was you look on utube or go to trapman trapping forum owned by paul dobbins...they use to be the trapping forum on the net back in the day and there use to be recipes etc there.havent been there in a very very long time so dont know how it is now.

Purslane

https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-purslane
Is viewed as a weed in the US but is a super food in other parts of the world. It grows in the cracks of sidewalk and along driveways

It grows wild in my gardens and we let grow where it wants to grow. The stems and leaves are edible. The leaves have the texture and taste of leaf lettuce. The stems are a bit chewier. We use in salads.

Check the link I included above for more details on benefits including vitamin C and omega-3.

Before you try any check out Youtube videos to learn how to identify it because there are other plants that look similar

Ben

I am months short of 75 years old. I am going blind with "Macula Degeneration". Being prepared means thinking way-way-way ahead, like if the SHTF and I am just able to walk, or can't pack a 55 pound Alaska King Salmon across the road from the river to the cabin.

I have been in training for SHTF for over 65 years, and I will make every effort to endure that study and lifestyle till the day I die. For the record........in my opinion, you only have the very-very-very rare occasional bear in your yard.

As much as anything my posting this thread is about triggering some people into realizing how serious some other people are about prepping for survival. I have "over" (3) Three years of food and (2) Two water wells, Plus three creeks on the homestead. My overriding objective on this type of forum is to stimulate and encourage others to become "vastly" more serious about prepping for survival. And do it by living it day in and day out in wilderness Alaska. And not simply regurgitating book or internet learned information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live on a homestead (what is remaining of it) and I "DON'T" need to "pack out" a 1,000 pound bear. Just as I do now I would continue to harvest from my cabin window. I would "simply" walk 50 yards to a spot in clear view from my cabin window or door, and dump the garbage, or old food, or wolf or fox or coyote bodies in a pile, and add attractant........like Fish oil or Vanilla extract or Anise oil or Fennel Oil.

With only a small amount of planning I would have the dead bear near or directly under the currently under construction super "world class" meat pole.

See this is about prepping for when I am 95 or 135 years old. This is about having "PRE" thought of everything you could ever wish you were in possession of, on hand and in abundance "long" before the preverbal SHTF. This is "prepping" far beyond rolls of butt'wipe and firearms. This is advanced prepping.

This is "not" sport harvesting of game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking for only myself here:

I have serious problem bears in my area, thanks to the local Wildlife Department dropping off previously trapped nuisance bears here for decades. (I happen to live in a Federally designated "wilderness area"). As a result, I am plagued with bears that are habituated to other humans and are "not normal" and are much more dangerous than your run-of-the-mill bears.

Because I am no longer a spring chicken... I appreciated the ideas I have gotten from this thread.

Whether or not the SHTF, I really, REALLY like the idea of simply opening a container of fish oil (attractant) as bear bait rather than the hassle of dealing with making bear bait with dead fish or animal entrails which are more problematic.

The fish oil certainly is not a "requirement" to attract bears, but I certainly can see the immense value of it.

Thanks for teaching this old dawg a new trick, @Sourdough.

??? @Cabin Fever ...

Of course, there ARE other options, but fish oil seems to be the easiest one of all. I'm not understanding why others don't see the potential value of it?

I can also think of other uses for the oil: bait for catfish and a number of other animals, if need be. So easy... just open the bottle and pour...

@Sourdough, now that I have learned this new-to-me trick, I don't plan on worrying much about the loss of electricity/freezer storage affecting the useful life of fish oil as bear bait. It will be just as stinky as ever, lol.

Off post, but .............................................
My mother in law made a great fruitcake, now my wife makes it.
It’s a labor of love. Start around Thanksgiving and you’ll fruitcake for Christmas.

when i use to bait bears my number one go to lure to get a new bait barrel started was anise. dumped a bottle in a jug of water and splashed it all around and up high on trees. often i hung a 'stringer' of fish carcasses.

one thing i done was use grape kool aid in a gallon jug with a 5# bag of sugar in it.multiple packs of kool aid..3-4 per gallon then splashed my bait with it. back in the day cheap pancake syrup was available and i used that as well.

one thing of note. when the nut mast got ready. forget black bear hitting bait regular if at all.they want the nuts. they walk right by high grade bait of doughnuts etc. to get the nut crop .

I agree with Grizz's perception. Like Sourdough, I take survival seriously and it is a bit tiring to always have to defend some of the measures I am taking like I have experienced on other boards. I have simply stopped posting my deeper thoughts as I don't like the sidetracked discussions.

I want solutions for when there is no more grid, no more rule of law, and survival is as real as it was to our forefathers 4,000 years ago. Any advantage is an advantage. I want options. I appreciate the discussion in this thread as it is abundantly applicable to me.

Latest posts

Back