Fish ordered for the pond.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid we would go to the area lakes that had small rock bass and perch biting like mad. We would fish like crazy put them in aerated coolers. Then my friends Dad would put them in a small lake on their property. A few years later that small lake flooded, became a much bigger and much deeper lake and now they pull very large bass and perch out of there all the time. Even a few record holders. Now they stock it from a fish hatchery. Hope yours works out well.

When I was a kid we would go to the area lakes that had small rock bass and perch biting like mad. We would fish like crazy put them in aerated coolers. Then my friends Dad would put them in a small lake on their property. A few years later that small lake flooded, became a much bigger and much deeper lake and now they pull very large bass and perch out of there all the time. Even a few record holders. Now they stock it from a fish hatchery. Hope yours works out well.
I hope so too. It's probably mostly my fault. When I restocked it they said they stock them so people can catch something and didn't worry about how big they got but I wanted some big ones so I cleaned out about half of everything except redears which I couldn't catch well and I stocked some brooder minnows because they were eating them up faster than I could put little minnows in there. Well between the bluegills and minnows breeding like crazy they overpopulated pretty quick,plus how I had the aerator set up last winter may have been hard on the bass,not sure. But I'm sure I'll get it all straightened out somehow.

I had a friend that I built a deck over his pond, he used to put some of the trout he caught from a reservoir into it as well as land locked salmon, the trout would get huge but he told me that one time he had the pond cleaned out and dug deeper and in the process he ran across a huge largemouth bass, he had never planted bass in the pond, he thought maybe someone had stuck it in there but I told him that since he had osprey flying around that they might have dropped a bass in his pond from other ponds in the area, could have happened.

I was stopped by a fish and game officer.
He asked if I had any live fish in my live well.
I told him they were all dead and he wanted to look.
I let him look but I wanted to know why he wanted to know.
Seems like it's illegal to transport live fish without a permit in Washington.
I know of a farm pond that has some very nice bass and a few catfish that came out of the river.;D

I was stopped by a fish and game officer.
He asked if I had any live fish in my live well.
I told him they were all dead and he wanted to look.
I let him look but I wanted to know why he wanted to know.
Seems like it's illegal to transport live fish without a permit in Washington.
I know of a farm pond that has some very nice bass and a few catfish that came out of the river.;D
How is he going to give a hawk or eagle a ticket or citation? Lol
My great uncle had a little stone pond he built to keep trout in. That's all I recall about that.
He was very self-sufficient and knew how to do a lot. Miss him. He built a cool little cabin with his wife up in the mountains. Every summer there'd be 20-30 hummingbirds crowded around his feeders. He gardened, canned, hunted.

My pops has a tiny sand/gravel quarry on his farm. When I say tiny, I'm talking less than 1/2 acre. It's only 5 or 6 feet deep at most but has fresh water from a stream feeding it through the sand deposit. About 40 years ago an elderly neighbor caught some green sunfish from the stream and tossed them in the pond. In a couple years it was plumb full of them. We brought adult bass and crappie from another neighbor's pond, but they didn't make a dent in the sunfish. The bass got up to 4 lbs. though. Then it winterkilled, and somehow we got a pond full of bullheads after that. I don't know how they got there and I don't have any idea how to get rid of hundreds of 5 inch bullheads...

My pops has a tiny sand/gravel quarry on his farm.

North American river otter (Lontra canadensis). One cleaned out my dad’s little pond in less than 2 years. Even the turtles left after that, they had nothing to eat. If you want to clean out a pond get one. Talk to trappers in your area. Stock your pond with fish and then talk to the trappers about how to get rid of him. :D

My pops has a tiny sand/gravel quarry on his farm. When I say tiny, I'm talking less than 1/2 acre. It's only 5 or 6 feet deep at most but has fresh water from a stream feeding it through the sand deposit. About 40 years ago an elderly neighbor caught some green sunfish from the stream and tossed them in the pond. In a couple years it was plumb full of them. We brought adult bass and crappie from another neighbor's pond, but they didn't make a dent in the sunfish. The bass got up to 4 lbs. though. Then it winterkilled, and somehow we got a pond full of bullheads after that. I don't know how they got there and I don't have any idea how to get rid of hundreds of 5 inch bullheads...
I've never seen it done before, but in the old days when they wanted to clean a pond they put lime in it. Kills everything!

In Stone Mountain where mama built the lake it was 45 feet deep in the middle and fed by natural springs .A perfect place to back up with a dam and use creek water to fill it up.
We use to play on the ice in winter but one time we fell thru and almost drowned. I never saw a fish die from cold since winters in Georgia didn't last long in deep freeze.
I'm sure a pond is a lot different too.

In Stone Mountain where mama built the lake it was 45 feet deep in the middle and fed by natural springs .A perfect place to back up with a dam and use creek water to fill it up.
We use to play on the ice in winter but one time we fell thru and almost drowned. I never saw a fish die from cold since winters in Georgia didn't last long in deep freeze.
I'm sure a pond is a lot different too.
Shallow ponds can get oxygen depleted in winter when the ice is very thick, with snow on it. No sunlight gets through and decaying plant matter uses up the oxygen. Then its game over.

Ok thanks fro info. I thought an acre would be ok, but I learn something new all the time.
All mine but the crappie died a few winters ago from it being frozen and snow on it for too long and I had to restock it. I put in an aerator with diffusers that pump air in from the bottom that keep it from freezing and if somehow it did freeze they'd still get air in under the ice.

Latest posts

Back