Five Gallon buckets, What are they good for.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I use them to carry tools.
As a seat when potting up plants.
To gather nuts in the wild.
Put perennial grasses in to carry out of the garden.
Small trees pots.
I dont, but friends use them for hen house nest.

There is a website dedicated to all things about 5 gallon buckets. The list is so long, it has to be split into more than one post. Five gallon buckets are a great thing!

http://fivegallonideas.com/buy-5-gallon-buckets/

DIY Emergency Survival Kit (updated)
Bucket Buddy: A wheelbarrow for buckets
[Review] 3 High Quality Emergency Survival Kits

5 Gallon Bucket Portable Shower

· List of Plastic Bucket Manufacturers

· Long Term Food Storage

· Loudspeaker

· Mailbox

· Mini Greenhouse

· Moonshine Still

· Mop Bucket

· Mouse Trap

· Moving Boxes

· Oil Jerry Can

· Ottoman

· Paint Can Nail Organizers

· Parabolic Microphone

· Personal Flotation Device

· Plant Carrier

· Portable BBQ

· Portable Cooler

· Rainwater Collection

· Recycling Bin

· Refrigerator

· Rocket Stove

· Sailboat

· Sailboat Anchor

· Seed Vault

· Shelving

· Shoe Rack

· Sink

· Soil Sifter

· Solar Hot Water Heater

· Spirulina Farm

· Spray Paint Stencil

· Standing Desk

· Starter Cord Repair

· Stores that hand out five gallon buckets for free

· Strawberry Farm

· Sub Irrigated Planter

· Swamp Cooler

· The 5 Gallon Bucket Book

· The advantage of gardening in buckets

· The benefits of rain barrels

· Tiny Housing

· Toilet Paper Container

· Toilet Stool

· Toiletries Storage

· Tool Organizer

· Toy for Pigs

· Trash Can

· ·
· Trash Compactor

· Using buckets for long term food storage

· Using five gallon buckets for survival purposes

· Vacuum Cleaner

· Video Gaming

· Wall of Water Greenhouse

· Washing Machine

· Water Boiler

· Water Filtration System

· Water Jug

· Weatherproofing

· Wheat Grass Farm

· Wine or Cider Press

· Wine Rack

· Wishing Well

· Workout Equipment

· Worm Farm1 Minute Wine Recipe Video

· Building with Buckets

· Farming with Buckets

· Gardening with Buckets

· Heating with Buckets

· Transportation with Buckets

Ash Bucket

· Beach Bucket

· Bucket Truck

· Collapsible Buckets

· Food Grade Buckets

· French Buckets

· Metal Buckets

· Square Buckets

· Stainless Steel Buckets and Pots

· Wooden Buckets

I use them to water and feed critters, carry tools, harvest veggies, carry dirt and as a seat. From time to time I really need them as a seat when working on bees or repairing a tractor. I went to a friend’s upholstery shop and got a 2” thick piece of foam and some car seat vinyl and made a seat. I put an extra plywood strip on the bottom so it won’t slip off the bucket. I’ve been using this thing for years, comes in handy.

Bucket Seat (1)_v1.jpg
Bucket Seat (2)_v1.jpg

collecting apples, cleaning rain gutters,collecting graded sand for gold panning and storing sandbags made from jeans legs for target shooting. Years ago we carried sand and gravel to the top of our property for building our 1,100 gallon water cistern in 5 gallon pickle buckets. They are also great for storing old nuts, bolts and other things taken from old cars and trucks.

I have grown a wild assortment of veggies in mine, and a friend grew blueberries in his.

Tip: wrap burlap around the buckets and arrange them close together to help prevent the sun from "cooking" the soil and plant roots.

I love those awesome screw-on "Gamma Seal" lids, which makes dipping into buckets of stored foods easier and faster. Well worth the $$.

Ha Ha! This bucket thread won't be complete without these AWESOME bucket drummers:

(I like what he does with the old refrigerator crisper drawer, lol.)

Last edited:
Honey is SO heavy! That would be VERY hard to pick up & move!

That is roughly 60#.

Our local dump has a compost exchange. I take in my raw compost in buckets and bring back finished compost.

@ReadyMom that is why we don't stock honey in a 20lt or 5 gallon bucket and in 10 litre or 2.5 gallon buckets :D.

I can pick up either gallon buckets full of honey but that is because I am not a delicate woman, small in size but strong and recognise I am an exception to the rule of usual ladies. Would advise that most bulk storage in a household with ladies be in the smaller buckets for manageability sake though so either wife or husband can move them around if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 gallon buckets make great coffee mugs for serious coffee drinkers. If you know SERIOUS coffee drinkers you know what I am saying. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I put small gardening tools in a bucket and drag it along when I'm crawling in the garden pulling weeds and planting seeds.
I don't really need it for the tools but it sure comes in handy when it's time for me to get off my tired old knees.
I don't like to have to crawl over to something to help hoist myself up.:)
I will second the the Gamma lids.
We use them on all of our 5 gallon food storage buckets.
They are not real cheap but they make it so much easier to open they are worth the price.
WinCo foods had them for $6 when I bought ours.
Not sure what they cost now.

I found this article and thought it fit here......
https://mypatriotsupply.com/blogs/scout/27-ways-to-use-empty-food-buckets-for-survival
Since I do have some black buckets, the idea of leaving water out in the sun in one of the buckets for warming would be a good idea to make a shower out of. It's the same idea that solar showers use, but these would hold more water. You could easily just hoist the bucket up on a ladder or other stand of some sort. If the sun wasn't out, you could heat water on a fire in a pot and then add it to the bucket. If the power were out long term, I want my shower!

We have buckets that we constantly use around the home. We use them for hauling feed, gathering garden goodies, seed, soapy water, regular rain water for plants, etc. An empty bucket around here is a rare sight. I never gave it much thought how much we use them.

My wife has been able to get buckets from the bakery departments of Walmart and Safeway.
There is a burger place that charges $1 for a 5 gallon and .75 for a 4 gallon with or without lids.
They are usually sold out but I have got enough to last for a long time.
UV rays are hard on buckets so I keep them in my garden shed or barn.
I use one to help me stand up after I have been on the ground doing stuff.

Latest posts

Back