Flood Zone insurance.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all are. In Kommiefornia, they miraculously increased the flood zone by 50%, in order to either raise premiums or cancel you. From what I understand, homeowners is going up by 30%, and car insurance is going up by 40%, regardless of having claims or not.

IMHO, just more Bidenomics at play.

I need reccos for Flood insurance, our current insurer is an idiot.
Since we dance with that tune...
Flood insurance is never from a private insurance company, but thru the NFIP with FEMA.
Get to know them. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I would not build or buy in a flood zone.
I wouldn't either, but in discussions with the Fire Chief ( who will gladly join me in hiding the bodies the flood zone idiots) there have been NO flooding activity since they started Caesar Creek and Cowan
control lakes. In 1968, they had a 1.5 feet of water over the road, it got nowhere near the houses.

FEMA can Suck a Satchel of Richards.

Last edited:
We have been in the same location for 46 years, and in the same house for over 30 years. We had serious flooding in 1982, and a supposed 500 year fllood in 1993, neither of which ever came near our house. I guess the 500 year flood was only a 21 year flood because in 2014 we were all sandbagging (literally) and our area flooded. It flooded again in 2015 but not as badly, and in 2015 it did not reach the houses across the street. In 2014 it did. The houses across the street from us had about four feet of water in their basement. Sidebar: Originally my wife wanted the property across the street. I told her there was no way I would live on a property with a creek running through the back yard. It took 21 years, but she finally said "You were right." We never had flood water on our property, but we had severe storm damage that had to be cleaned professionally. The moral of the story is you never know what will change. We weren't in the flood plain, but the area flooded. The town just North of us put in a levee, which is supposedly illegal (built higher than what was permitted) but the "experts" say that is supposed to affect property upstream, not downstream. What else changed that would cause us to get flooded? Nobody has an answer, or the people that do know are covering something up.

Dademoss, to answer your question I believe our carrier is Safeco, and everything was covered without any hassles. We had to pay the deductible, of course, but our insurance covered several thousand dollars. I don't know if Safeco is in your area. Sounds like you need a new carrier, or a new agent.

We have been in the same location for 46 years, and in the same house for over 30 years. We had serious flooding in 1982, and a supposed 500 year fllood in 1993, neither of which ever came near our house. I guess the 500 year flood was only a 21 year flood because in 2014 we were all sandbagging (literally) and our area flooded. It flooded again in 2015 but not as badly, and in 2015 it did not reach the houses across the street. In 2014 it did. The houses across the street from us had about four feet of water in their basement. Sidebar: Originally my wife wanted the property across the street. I told her there was no way I would live on a property with a creek running through the back yard. It took 21 years, but she finally said "You were right." We never had flood water on our property, but we had severe storm damage that had to be cleaned professionally. The moral of the story is you never know what will change. We weren't in the flood plain, but the area flooded. The town just North of us put in a levee, which is supposedly illegal (built higher than what was permitted) but the "experts" say that is supposed to affect property upstream, not downstream. What else changed that would cause us to get flooded? Nobody has an answer, or the people that do know are covering something up.

Dademoss, to answer your question I believe our carrier is Safeco, and everything was covered without any hassles. We had to pay the deductible, of course, but our insurance covered several thousand dollars. I don't know if Safeco is in your area. Sounds like you need a new carrier, or a new agent.
......just the thought of water getting into YOUR basement 😮

I would not build or buy in a flood zone.

Neither would I, but you never know how things will change. People start building and paving and rezoning and they change the watershed.

I wouldn't either, but in discussions with the Fire Chief ( who will gladly join me in hiding the bodies the flood zone idiots) there have been NO flooding activity since they started Caesar Creek and Cowan
control lakes. In 1968, they had a 1.5 feet of water over the road, it got nowhere near the houses.

FEMA can Suck a Satchel of Richards.
Some mortgage companies require it even if you have a zero% chance of flooding in order for you to 'qualify' for their loans. :mad:

......just the thought of water getting into YOUR basement 😮

Both of the families directly across the street moved. They were terrified every time it rained.

Last edited:
Lori REALLY wants this house, and she is lead on the project. If it comes together, I can live there, if not, I can keep looking.

It's VERY similar to the first one we made an offer on.

Last edited:
Maybe you can rent a stall next to Star!!😉😃
Lori has a list. There were discussions about the farm owners building a house, but it's Way easier to buy one close by.

The farm is Fallback if SHFT. easier when you are closer

I'd suggest you check with Erie Insurance. They're a superior insurance company with very reasonable rates.
I've only had one ins claim as far as I can remember. Erie really stepped up and took care of me.
I asked Lori to add it to her list, Thank you.

Latest posts

Back