Quantcast

Flooding and storms

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2018/02/23/kentucky-governor-declares-state-emergency/

Kentucky governor declares state of emergency
February 23, 2018
WPSD Staff

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin
Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin has declared a statewide emergency in response to heavy rains across the state that have caused flooding and infrastructure damage.

The governor’s office announced the state of emergency order in a news release Friday evening. The order, which will be in place for 30 days, enables state resources to be prepared to help cities and counties when needed. Severe storms with heavy rain and strong winds have been affecting parts of the state since Feb. 9. Landslides and mudslides have caused injuries, infrastructure damage, and damage to farms, as well as government, commercial and private properties, the governor’s office says.
Search and rescue teams have been put on standby to help with evacuations as needed, the governor’s office says, and state cabinet partners and the National Guard are preparing for flood response.

Search and rescue teams have been put on standby to help with evacuations as needed, the governor’s office says, and state cabinet partners and the National Guard are preparing for flood response.

This is getting serious, went for a ride today over the Cumberland and TN rivers,
All you can see for miles in every direction is land under water, can't even tell where the rivers are.
Tomorrow they are predicting tornado's , storms , and 2-4 " more rain.

Jim

gumpy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Tennessee River is at 375.1 this morning. They, again, changed the crest to "above action stage till further notice". The meteorologist don't know what's going to happen any more than I do! It's gonna do what it's gonna do.
dancing-bear-animation.gif

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Will keep you folks in my heart. I'm atop a ridge feeding 2 watersheds. Not much danger here except from tornadoes.
Went for another ride today , It was raining hard all day , and every field , as far as the eye can see is under water.
I've never seen this condition in my lifetime.

And now we are going to get a ton more rain.
Right now there are Tornado's on the ground along the Ky , MO border headed east.

Guess I better go open the tornado shed and get our quilts and pillows in there .
May spend the night in there.

Jim

Last edited:

gumpy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I just checked the birmingham weather satellite images. This nasty storm is about 2 hours away... They have changed the tornado risk to high. I guess I'm going to up most of the night.:( Hoping @phideaux and@gumpy are okay! ;)
Our sirens went off bout 30 minutes ago but it missed us. Lotsa rain/wind that's all.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't have sirens here and last week I discovered my short wave, am/fm radio stopped working. I've been shopping for a new one, was going to post here for recomendations. When I lose my satellite internet (which will happen) I'm going to be blind! I may go out and sit in my truck and listen for warnings on it's radio.

gumpy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We keep our NOAH weather radio on 24-7! I like stormy weather and wife doesn't! Funny how we're on different ends of the spectrum on so many subjects.
@Peanut how's the weather there?

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've been getting bands of rain since this morning, nothing serious. Temps are high, to high for my comfort level during tornado season. I have a little NOAH radio. I put fresh batteries in it and plugged it into a new outlet I just installed in my bedroom but I'm not sure it works. It was in a drawer for several years. I lost the instruction booklet. :(

goshengirl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We keep our NOAH weather radio on 24-7! I like stormy weather and wife doesn't! Funny how we're on different ends of the spectrum on so many subjects.
@Peanut how's the weather there?
I like stormy weather, but my Dear Hubby doesn’t. :) Especially now - I woke him up to come down to the basement when the tornado sirens went off. He’d much rather be back in bed sleeping through them.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I checked the tv radar, it must be moving slower than I thought. It's still about an hour and 20 minutes away.

My tool room was built with cinder block walls, the holes were poured full of mortar from the top with a piece of rebar 8ft long in each. It's my tornado room. I've already prepared it for the night... hopefully I don't have to use it.

Last edited:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Winds have picked up, getting a steady breeze out of the southwest, about 20mph. The nasty weather is about 50 minutes away. :(

Fast moving fronts are less dangerous, produce small tornadoes. Slow moving fronts produce EF3 and above tornadoes... This one is slowing... :( Over the past 2 hours...

Last edited:

robin416

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I don't have sirens here and last week I discovered my short wave, am/fm radio stopped working. I've been shopping for a new one, was going to post here for recomendations. When I lose my satellite internet (which will happen) I'm going to be blind! I may go out and sit in my truck and listen for warnings on it's radio.
Peanut, check to see if you're within in range for a TV antenna. I have satellite TV here but have an antenna for when weather knocks the sat out.

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We went to the Bunker , for about 45 minutes
when tornado's were heading our way, they were spotted within 15 miles of us,

They missed us, it got windy, and another 2" of rain.

No damage on my place...haven't seen the news this morning to see how much local damage.

Hope you guys got thru it..

Dodged another bullet....except, I imagine the flooding is gonna be worse.
Glad I'm on top of a hill.

Jim

robin416

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Boy, you all are really taking it on the chin up that way.

I'm hoping Peanut's absence is about power failure and not something bigger.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I guess having to keep blowing snow off the drive way and sidewalks isn't so bad after all.

Prayers and positive thoughts going out to all affected.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Peanut, check to see if you're within in range for a TV antenna. I have satellite TV here but have an antenna for when weather knocks the sat out.
When I switched to satellite I kept the tv antenna as a back up. I lost it during the april 2011 tornado out break. I have to have a pole over 40ft. They get pricey at that height so I never replaced it.

Latest posts