Florida Facebook page "stole" my wife's photo.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Fever

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yes, that is my wife in the meme. The photo was taken in Texas. She found out about the meme from a friend.
florida tourist hacks.jpg

The reason I don't do Facebook!! At least it's just her face!!
This has nothing to do with Facebook. Anyone could easily copy your avatar (or a photo you posted on H&CL) and use it somewhere else. :)

We just think it's funny. We've posted that photo many times on FB, and possibly even here on this forum. We know of a person whose photo appeared on a billboard in India!

We are well aware that any photo we post online, whether on FB or H&CL, can be easily copied and used somewhere else.

Last edited:
If you get to the source of who used it, can't you sue them? It might be interesting to find out who did this and why and how they decided to use her photo.
We are not the litigious type. It's not worth our time and money to sue someone who is not making any money off of our photo. The entity that did this is an administrator for a FB group called, "Florida Memes." We are not upset by this at all.

A few years ago I seen a meme with my ex's aunt picture in her younger years. At the time of the meme, she had been dead for a couple of years, probably in her 80's and the pic in the meme was about 30 years prior. I don't know if her grandchildren had ever posted the earlier pic or not, but she had very distinctive features and there was no mistake it was her.

After seeing that, I deleted all personal photos or anything that could be used to identify me, us or where we lived. I would love to share photos but after that, nope it's not happening

It's still shocking when you run across stuff like that!!
This is why I have the avatar I have. The lady has a nice picture & that is the main reason she was picked.
I am glad that it is harmless & even flattering.
I do not trust the internet, half the people in memes, do not agree with said memes, (Star trek).

Last edited:
We are not the litigious type.

Best way to be... who needs the rotten judicial system? Lol... I shouldn't laugh, it's NOT really that funny, but to me the courts are just a waste of time, even if you're "in the right" and have all the proof you'll ever need. :rolleyes:

BTW, those lizard earring pics are CLASSIC, and I'm not big on BLING, lol. ;)

This is why I never post pictures of myself or others. At a funeral one guy was snapping pictures for his new FB account. Both my wife and I made it perfectly clear that we would not appreciate our pictures placed on the net. The thought had never occurred to him. Our trainer put a picture of our dog on her FB account, without permission. I was pleasant when I told her to take it down. We never did business again. That was for commercial gain so I could have sued her, had she not taken it down. I spent 8 years in a courtroom and it is not worth it to go back for some petty anti BS.

Once on the net it is free & will never die!
Many people don't realize this and will post everything.gaah
If it is posted on 'the net' it can be copied, and taking it down, means nothing.
At least Good Morning America was nice enough to ask me for permission to use the tornado-damage video I posted on YouTube, while running on battery-backup power, when the northern half of Alabama went dark. They could get nothing from up there. :(
Fortunately they muted my sarcastic chatter on it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only issue she is having with the meme is all of her friends now want an autographed copy.

I hope the nude photo of my wife (below) never gets out in public. It is of her taking a garden sprayer shower. I have posted the photo several places when people ask for bathing ideas at their off-grid cabin.
Shower Girl.JPG

Sue for what? Anything “seen” in public can be used publicly without permission.
I agree.
You would have to copyright it first & that cost thousands of dollars per photo.

Joel,
You need to go read the copyright law.

Joel,
You need to go read the copyright law.
I went by what I was told, I will not need to read it, until I need to copy write something.
I was told the research to make sure you are not coping or stealing someone else work is what cost so much here in South Carolina.
This came from a Lawyer & I am not a lawyer, so I believe her.
However I am not saying you are wrong, cause I have not read the books of copy right laws.

Anything you write, like your last post, is automatically copyrighted. It does have to be an original work and you can't copyright some things like names, titles, mathematics formulae and lists of materials.
In reference to our posts here we hold the copyright to our words but the forum holds the copyright in context of the forum. The forum can publish anything written here without asking the original poster and we can publish our personal notes without permission of the forum. We cannot publish posts that correlate to our post without getting permission from both the poster and permission from the forum.
Clear as mud?

Anything you write, like your last post, is automatically copyrighted. It does have to be an original work and you can't copyright some things like names, titles, mathematics formulae and lists of materials.
In reference to our posts here we hold the copyright to our words but the forum holds the copyright in context of the forum. The forum can publish anything written here without asking the original poster and we can publish our personal notes without permission of the forum. We cannot publish posts that correlate to our post without getting permission from both the poster and permission from the forum.
Clear as mud?
And if you ever want to protect Copywrite for something. Send it as registered mail to yourself and keep the unopened envelope to be opened only in court.

Ben

Ben, that used to be considered a poor mans patent.
a set of plans and a description of what the concept all in a registered mail to yourself.
Tesla showed in court that it wasn't necessary. He got the original patent on the radio with his hardware and notes. He proved that the radio used his parts and could not have been made without them.

Clear as mud?
Is this a internet thing, the lawyer was talking about a letter or book you wrote, not internet post.

Ben, that used to be considered a poor mans patent.
a set of plans and a description of what the concept all in a registered mail to yourself.
Tesla showed in court that it wasn't necessary. He got the original patent on the radio with his hardware and notes. He proved that the radio used his parts and could not have been made without them.

It does save you patent lawyer fees.

Ben

Joel, the same laws apply to all written works. As soon as it can be shared it is covered.

I won't use my real name anywhere on the net if I can help it. (Have to for work). And no identifiable pics. Work wants a pic on our "profile" and so far I've gotten away with using one my mom took when we were out skiing. Helmet, goggles, and high jacket collar. It ticks me off when folks are taking pics or videos and posting them without asking. I had to ask my sister in law to remove photos from her fb page. I also do geocaching, and was on a caching rally once when I realized that one of the guys was filming everything for his youtube channel. I ended up having to speak rather harshly to him, since he couldn't comprehend why I didn't want to be in his films. It was the typical, what do you need to hide? No, I don't have anything to hide, I just prefer not to be "shared" on the net!

Latest posts

Back