Florida Man thought he stole opiods, took laxatives instead

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think we have discussed some of this before in another thread.

This story has been all over the news and most of you have probably seen it one place or another. Honestly, I think many of us can be amused by this, and maybe even consider a strategy for dealing with people who would be likely to raid our medicine cabinets. If I had more than one prescription, I might consolidate all of the pills into one bottle, and use one for bait. I have had someone, a guest, ask to use my restroom and take stuff that wasn't even anything. I later heard this person was known to help herself anytime she could. She was caught in a doctor's office, filling her purse with accessible supplies when left alone.

If you have opioids (or the appearance of opioids in this case), where is a better place to store them? My guess is that some older people have not even considered the possibility of this. Two places not to keep them: medicine cabinet and bedside table. What if you have a repair person come to your home and then they need to use the restroom? While a true professional may not do this, it may be a ploy for some. Some of us have family members who would be happy to raid our medicine cabinet. I know I do.

https://komonews.com/news/offbeat/f...oDHiw4gSHhsBXSynk7NsaXJnpEny3nblZ4m222k1eZaFE

We rarely have guests, but when we do, I don't mind them being alone in my bathroom. They'll only get OTC's and if they need them that bad, they can have them.

Thankfully we have a half bath next to our entry door, so for anyone I don't know who needs to use the restroom I will point in that direction. They can steal my laundry detergent if they wish.

Like you, I doubt many elderly patients even consider this possiblilty. It is certainly information worth passing along to family and friends.

I had not heard of this story and totally laughed when I read your post line. What a brilliant strategy!!!

I had not heard of this story and totally laughed when I read your post line. What a brilliant strategy!!!
I began to wonder if it was just me. I thought it was hilarious as well as an excellent strategy for dealing with people who like to steal medications. I did not realize that there is a laxative that looks like an opioid. I want to go shopping and get some!

What I am wondering is where to stash my opioids that were prescribed for me when I had a root canal? I know that things can get thrown away if you don't know what you have. If I put them in my medicine bag, then they probably better be clearly labeled. If they were needed, someone should know that they exist and be able to locate them to use.

What I am wondering is where to stash my opioids that were prescribed for me when I had a root canal? I know that things can get thrown away if you don't know what you have. If I put them in my medicine bag, then they probably better be clearly labeled. If they were needed, someone should know that they exist and be able to locate them to use.

We have very few in stock that were not used after dental procedures or minor surgeries. We keep them in a locked gun cabinet that also has a small dehumidifier inside, which is a much better environment to keep meds than in a bathroom. We will likely never use them, but it's always better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

As far as opiods.....legally they can NOT be filled even one day before the date the prescription is made for. This was something that at the doctors office the staff had to calculate carefully with ongoing opiod prescriptions. There was not to be even one extra day or one extra pill. Both the doctors offices and pharmacists watch this carefully.

Last edited:
Your right about the opiods and refilling. I was speaking to blood pressure, or diabetites drug more so. Wife used to work for a pulmanary Dr and got request constanly for pain meds. Pharmacies were calling asking to confirm request sent them. That is closely managed on multiple fronts now days. The opioid epedemic is as much theft and illegal drugs as anything.

Latest posts

Back