Folding multi-use tools

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not sure where to put this thread...

I have several of these tools that fold up, twist, etc. You can pull out the flat screwdriver, the Phillips head, a saw, scissors, etc etc but can I? No, I cannot. Rarely can I get the thing that I need to pull out from the tool. What do I apply to these gizmos so I can start using them more. I keep my nails short so pretty painted nails are not stopping me from trying to pry out the needed tool. Thanks in advance.

I have a couple of multitools like that. I also have a Boker pocket knife that I can not get the blade open without breaking my thumbnail. I have tried oiling the tools and that didn't help much. My Swiss Army Knife has a couple of tools that are very hard to open also. I have used a coin to open them but you shouldn't need a tool to open a tool.

I have a Leatherman Free T4 that my son gave me for Christmas this last December. It is really nice. Each tool can be opened with a press of a "flipper", you do not have to dig into a slot with your fingernail. Also, the tools all lock in the open position. The knife blade does have the flipper, but that particular tool is stiffer to open (probably by design), so I open the blade with my thumb. That's still very easy - you don't have to do the horrible fingernail-in-slot opening. This tool does not have pliers, so if you absolutely need that particular tool, this multi-tool is not the one for you. This Free T4 tool is more like an improved Swiss Army Knife.

Here's a video from the Leatherman website that kind of shows how the flippers are used to open the tools:

T4 | Leatherman FREE Technology | Multi-Tools

Have you tried spraying a little WD 40 or some other lubricant on the end? I agree with Backlash. You shouldn't need a tool to open a toll.

Anything that is small enough to be used to pry up one of the tools would suffice. Maybe a paperclip? Use it to pry or hook the end of one of the tools.

Just an FYI on Leatherman, and you can take this for what it's worth. I know everyone swears by their products, but I can tell you from first hand experience they were among the nastiest people I have ever done business with or tried to do business with. They way they acted and the way we were treated I would NEVER buy one of their products. Just my 2 cents.

Treat a multi-tool like you would any expensive knife: keep it free of rust, corrosion and dirt, keep the blades well-oiled and the pivots well-lubraicated, keep blades sharp at all times, and use the heck out of it. The more you use it, the more it'll loosen up.

I own a bunch - Leatherman, SOG and no-name brands and have never had a problem. I've had really good results with dry bike chain lube over machine oil or WD-40.

I can tell you from first hand experience they were among the nastiest people I have ever done business with or tried to do business with
You were probably talking to some liberal Antifa member with a man-bun from Portland.
Oregon metro areas have gone to crap since the California invasion, just like Seattle.

A good oil to use for frozen up parts is Kroil. It is a penetrating oil. And penetrate it does. The smallest crack or space, and it will find its way in. I even use it for cleaning lead out of gun barrels. It penetrates under the deposited lead and basically "floats" it off the interior of the barrel. Kroil into the barrel, let it sit a day or two, a little brushing, and you'd be surprised at the results. p.s. - Put the item on top of something to catch the oil while it is sitting there penetrating, because, like I said, it WILL penetrate and go everywhere!

Kroil.png

Darn, mine is missing. Since January I’ve been staying nights in the ICU, reg. hosp., nursing home, security check points everywhere… All my bags have been packed and repacked multiple times, get home, overnight, 3-night, laptop, various kits.

Somehow my multitool vanished. Thanks for the reminder… now I know it’s missing. Since dad is now home it’s time to reorganize again. I need a new multitool if I can’t locate the old one.

@bkt where else besides Amazon would I find the oil you recommended? Wal-Mart, Ace, auto parts stores?
@Haertig I looked up the kano kroil. Looks like it'd be good for greased pig competitions. One review said if you have something you do not want to move, do not let this stuff touch it, because it will move!
There are a few different solutions of it, some looks pricey. I don't know that I am going to be working on the car next, but you never know. Times are tough!!!:p:D

I purchased a Cabela’s multi-tool 5 or 6 years ago and it has been great. Zero maintenance and I always have it with me. Wore out the nylon case it came in, but the tool still functions perfectly. It does have screws to adjust blade tension, but I have never dickered with them. Never oiled it or cleaned it either. Sharpen it now and again as it gets used frequently, but that is it. Every blade opens fine, no issues with it at all.

2 years ago I bought two more and they sit, unopened in the closet. Because you all know how that goes… Like something and lose it, you will never find another one or they will discontinue it. Buy a spare and you will never need it as you will never lose the one you have.

Link, it will not allow me to copy the picture.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MULTI-TOOL/2001015.uts

Wore out the nylon case it came in, but the tool still functions perfectly. It does have screws to adjust blade tension, but I have never dickered with them.
Sounds like the kind of thing that needs a nice leather case, maybe with a couple slits on it to wear it on a belt. My dad made himself one for his pliers.

I made something like this for a friend many years ago.
He still uses it daily.

9ec4be5db4b7b1eaa145004aed547f99--knife-sheath-leather-working.jpg

I love the idea of a multi tool ("Something is better than nothing") and used to carry a Leatherman Sidekick for years until I realized 95% of the time when I needed a specific tool, I was within a few yards of the actual tool I needed. After I realized that, it fell out of my EDC rotation.

@bkt where else besides Amazon would I find the oil you recommended? Wal-Mart, Ace, auto parts stores?
@Haertig I looked up the kano kroil. Looks like it'd be good for greased pig competitions. One review said if you have something you do not want to move, do not let this stuff touch it, because it will move!
There are a few different solutions of it, some looks pricey. I don't know that I am going to be working on the car next, but you never know. Times are tough!!!:p:D
Walmart, auto parts, gun stores, sporting goods.

Ha! I finally found mine... yes, it was with gear I had to ditch in Jan/Feb when dad was in the hospital. I had to go through security check points several times a day. It was simpler to remove my normal carry gear that they might complain about...

My multi-tool has the Winchester TM on it. I don't remember when or where I got it. It has good pliers, wire cutters, assortment of tips and an assortment of drivers....

Multitool 01 (4) sm.JPG

I purchased a Cabela’s multi-tool 5 or 6 years ago and it has been great. Zero maintenance......Every blade opens fine, no issues with it at all.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MULTI-TOOL/2001015.uts
Wow! For $6 dollars that is great for a multi tool especially if you like it and use it often. I like name brand things but for how often I use it a generic multi tool would be perfect. I'm going to buy that on in the link next time I get to that store....if it's in stock.

P.S. doesn't have a lot of attachments but I never found myself using the file, saw, or scissors anyway.

I checked the big internet box store… multi-tools similar to mine go for $18-$20. I’ve had mine at least 12-13 years, no idea what I paid then or who made it. It is 440 steel, the blade holds a good edge. The phillips tip and a couple of the drivers are hardened.

I have a lot of compact tools/tool kits.
I have the MacGyver Knife, the Leatherman Rebar, & 20 or so pocket knife stashed around. I would agree WD40 or something like it.

I used to carry multi tools, but I quit. I'd rather carry a good quality knife and a good quality pair of pliers. The multi tools just don't perform as well as dedicated tools. If I need a screwdriver I'll go to the tool box and get one. My vehicles all have very basic tool kits too. I'm never too far from a crescent wrench, a screwdriver, a knife, or a hammer. No multi tool needed...

Latest posts

Back