Food allergies, dislikes, and concerns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Does everyone have foods that make them not feel well if and when they eat them? What about known allergies to certain types of foods? What about foods that just taste nasty when you eat them, such as cilantro tasting like soap? What foods do you just not eat because you don't like the taste?

I have heard of so many food allergies. Do you have allergies or sensitivities? What do you do to work around these? Anyone have zero reaction to any foods they eat?

I know a woman who realized that she has a sensitivity to wheat, so she decided she would eat more rice. Well, she went out to eat with her husband and she had a real strong reaction to rice, more so than wheat. Her body, especially her joints swelled up and it was noticeable to her before she was even done eating. She eats limited amounts of wheat and no rice now.

Oh man, where to start? I've apparently got a "leaky" gut and some things I eat will get into the bloodstream partially digested and mess me around - foggy head, headaches, arthritis flares, etc. For me the main culprits are dairy (specifically the casein protein) and wheat (gluten protein), but MSG, caramel coloring, artificial sweeteners, and artificial colors can do me in as well. 3 of my 4 children are lucky enough to share this with me.

My wife has MCAS (Mast Cell Activation Syndrome) where the cells that make histamine can go crazy and trigger anaphylaxis causing hives, low blood pressure and swelling. She has to avoid food high in histamines, especially old meat (usually has to eat it 4-5 days before the sell by date & within 12 hours of cooking - unless it's been frozen in-between), fermented foods, dried/canned fruits, nuts, etc.

Combining these two makes meal planning challenging and food storage very problematic. When the rest of the family is eating leftovers my wife will be eating something fresh or frozen. We store ramen noodles & mac and cheese for her (dry foods are lower in histamine) and home canned stuff for the rest of us.

I'm surprisingly not allergic per say to many foods, I don't do well with alcohol anymore, or processed foods. I wake up feeling gross the next morning, with even just one drink.
I have pretty bad contact dermatitis though, with everything irritating my skin. I can't use a lot of detergents, soaps or lotions, everything has to be natural with no dyes or artificial stuff. I also have eczema in my scalp of all places, so using shampoo and conditioner can be a problem. I've settled using the viori shampoo/conditioner sets which are bars and made from rice, which has done wonders for my scalp.

I'm surprisingly not allergic per say to many foods, I don't do well with alcohol anymore, or processed foods. I wake up feeling gross the next morning, with even just one drink.
I have pretty bad contact dermatitis though, with everything irritating my skin. I can't use a lot of detergents, soaps or lotions, everything has to be natural with no dyes or artificial stuff. I also have eczema in my scalp of all places, so using shampoo and conditioner can be a problem. I've settled using the viori shampoo/conditioner sets which are bars and made from rice, which has done wonders for my scalp.
Doc, I used to drink, lots, like a fifth a night, after work. I never had a hangover. One day I woke up and said to myself, "so this is what a hangover is like." Years later I figured out it was my sleep apnea kicking in and the headache was from hypoxia. I still love to drink but I love breathing more.

I do not have any food allergies that I am aware of, nor have I ever had an allergic reaction to food. I will say say that I used to have a cast iron stomach, and nothing ever bothered me. Now, not so much so. Sometimes I will eat something that I like, but it doesn't like me, so I am more careful. A1C is in question, so I have tried to eliminate a lot of sugars including alcohol.

I like all meats; fish and fowl. I am good with most carbs, and have a hopeless addiction to bread. Vegetables are a 50-50 matter, and I would be considered on the picky side. To me the ones I don't like smell horrible, and if I can't get it past my nose it is not going into my mouth. I'm healthy, so the vegetables I am missing can't be that important. I am an adult and have been for some time (although there are those who would question that). I'm pretty sure I can eat what I want when I want, and don't need permission.

Funny you should start this thread @Weedygarden. I think I’ve developed and issue over the last year. As yet I haven’t been able to isolate the problem other than it's probably a food issue.

It happened yesterday. Had lunch in town, slice of pizza and a salad. About 2hrs later I could feel my energy levels dropping radically. I felt groggy, just wanted to lay down. I felt so bad I couldn’t eat at dinner that night, skipped it completely. Ended up frying a porkchop about midnight for a snack. I felt a little better by then and could eat a little.

I have CFS. My world revolves around energy levels and calories. I only eat 2 meals a day, everything is accounted for. As my symptoms are ever changing, even over the course of a day, I sometimes get the perfect storm… feel so bad that food is the last I want. But if I don’t eat my symptoms get worse. 4 maybe 5 meals each week I literally force myself to eat something and still feel horrible afterwards. How many maladies are there that causes loss of appetite? 1000’s? So it’s very difficult for me to even notice when I have a new issue.

What are the top 5 common food issues? Things I can research and possibly rule out as a cause of my current new problem.

I sometimes get the perfect storm… feel so bad that food is the last I want. But if I don’t eat my symptoms get worse. 4 maybe 5 meals each week I literally force myself to eat something and still feel horrible afterwards. How many maladies are there that causes loss of appetite? 1000’s? So it’s very
My daughter had viral meningitis around the age of 20. Nothing could be done to treat her physically. Bed and rest. A friend is a homeopath and made a remedy for her that helped her to feel marginally better.

What we learned is that typically after someone has meningitis, they have no desire to eat for a long time afterwards, maybe up to a year. Daughter, being the social being she is, was aware of this and decided to invite friends out to eat with her for months after she got better. I believe that the disinterest in food probably accompanies a few ailments and the ailing person has to be aware and push through it. I am thinking of someone who has a stomach ailment where almost everything that you eat comes back up. Hard to convince that person to eat.

Funny you should start this thread @Weedygarden. I think I’ve developed and issue over the last year. As yet I haven’t been able to isolate the problem other than it's probably a food issue.

It happened yesterday. Had lunch in town, slice of pizza and a salad. About 2hrs later I could feel my energy levels dropping radically. I felt groggy, just wanted to lay down. I felt so bad I couldn’t eat at dinner that night, skipped it completely. Ended up frying a porkchop about midnight for a snack. I felt a little better by then and could eat a little.

I have CFS. My world revolves around energy levels and calories. I only eat 2 meals a day, everything is accounted for. As my symptoms are ever changing, even over the course of a day, I sometimes get the perfect storm… feel so bad that food is the last I want. But if I don’t eat my symptoms get worse. 4 maybe 5 meals each week I literally force myself to eat something and still feel horrible afterwards. How many maladies are there that causes loss of appetite? 1000’s? So it’s very difficult for me to even notice when I have a new issue.

What are the top 5 common food issues? Things I can research and possibly rule out as a cause of my current new problem.
The first thing to come to mind is a Peanut allergy. Sorry couldn't resist.

This is me. How does someone have a hangover from less than one drink? I don't know, but I do. With all the alcoholism in the family, it is probably a really good thing.
I can only speak for myself, but the way I figure it works for me is that the alcohol relaxes me and that my tongue falls back and closes my airway. I wake up exhausted and with a headache from they hypoxia. Like you even half a drink is enough. I can't drink after lunch as there must be zero alcohol in my system at bedtime.

Nope, some days I literally have the energy of a 95yr old man. I don't have the energy to prepare food. I keep peanut butter and crackers on my table for such occasions. It's my go to meal.
That sounds a lot like my sleep apnea. Do you snore?

Exactly, CFS symptoms mimic dozens if not hundreds of other issues.

I spent 2 years and most of my life savings having every conceivable test at the university hospital to rule out every other possibility (best hosp in the state). So no, I don't have a sleep issue. It's CFS.

(cfs has it's own set sleep issues and about 20 other major symptoms)

Funny you should start this thread @Weedygarden.

There is much more to the article than what I posted.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/common-food-intolerances
The 8 Most Common Food Intolerances
Unlike some allergies, food intolerances aren’t life-threatening. However, they can be very problematic for those affected.
Food intolerances and sensitivities are extremely common and seem to be on the rise (1).
In fact, it’s estimated that up to 20% of the world’s population may have a food intolerance (2Trusted Source).
Food intolerances and sensitivities can be hard to diagnose due to their wide range of symptoms.
This article reviews the most common types of food sensitivities and intolerances, their related symptoms and foods to avoid.
What Is a Food Intolerance?

The term “food hypersensitivity” refers to both food allergies and food intolerances (3).
A food intolerance is not the same as a food allergy, although some of the symptoms may be similar.
In fact, it can be difficult to tell food allergies and food intolerances apart, making it important to speak with your doctor if you suspect you might have an intolerance.
When you have a food intolerance, symptoms usually begin within a few hours of eating the food that you are intolerant to.
Yet, symptoms can be delayed by up to 48 hours and last for hours or even days, making the offending food especially difficult to pinpoint (4).
What’s more, if you frequently consume foods that you are intolerant to, it may be difficult to correlate symptoms to a specific food.
While symptoms of food intolerances vary, they most often involve the digestive system, skin and respiratory system.
Common symptoms include (5):
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloating
  • Rashes
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Fatigue
  • Abdominal
    pain
  • Runny nose
  • Reflux
  • Flushing of the skin
Food intolerances are commonly diagnosed by elimination diets specifically designed to narrow down offending foods or through other testing methods.
Elimination diets remove foods most commonly associated with intolerances for a period of time until symptoms subside. Foods are then reintroduced one at a time while monitoring for symptoms (6Trusted Source).
This type of diet helps people identify which food or foods are causing symptoms.
Here are 8 of the most common food intolerances.

1. Dairy

2. Gluten

3. Caffeine

4. Salicylates

5. Amines

6. FODMAPs

FODMAPs is an abbreviation that stands for fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-saccharides and polyols (24Trusted Source).

They are a group of short-chain carbohydrates found naturally in many foods that can cause digestive distress.

FODMAPs are poorly absorbed in the small intestine and travel to the large intestine, where they are used as fuel for the gut bacteria there.

The bacteria break down or “ferment” the FODMAPs, which produces gas and causes bloating and discomfort.

7. Sulfites

8. Fructose

Last edited:
Cilantro = soap

Spicy as in hot at any level including white and black pepper = a painful sensation, not a taste. (There is no such thing as mild)

Food preservatives give me gas
MSG makes my face turn red and itch.
Lutefisk is nasty.
Chinese red bean anything is yuck
Moon cakes and thousand year duck eggs are nasty
Tofu is yuck.

Alcohol stinks. I have never managed to get any past my nose. I also have a psychological allergy to it and can't handle being around people who are drinking. No offense intended.

On rare occasions I will break out in hives if I eat shrimp.
I still eat shrimp but I make sure to have Benadryl handy just in case it's the one time out of a hundred I break out.
My doctor said it was foolish for me to eat something I know can cause a problem.
I said yea I know, but it's shrimp and the only thing that would be worse if it was bacon.
She did give me an Epi pen but it's never been anywhere close to bad enough to need that.
I did have to cut down on spicy foods several years ago but ever since I had Covid in Dec. I don't have a problem with hot stuff any more.
My wife stopped asking me if something is spicy after I told her no and she was left gasping for air.
I ate street food in 3rd world countries and survived so not much bothers me.

On rare occasions I will break out in hives if I eat shrimp.
I still eat shrimp but I make sure to have Benadryl handy just in case it's the one time out of a hundred I break out.
My doctor said it was foolish for me to eat something I know can cause a problem.
I said yea I know, but it's shrimp and the only thing that would be worse if it was bacon.
She did give me an Epi pen but it's never been anywhere close to bad enough to need that.
I did have to cut down on spicy foods several years ago but ever since I had Covid in Dec. I don't have a problem with hot stuff any more.
My wife stopped asking me if something is spicy after I told her no and she was left gasping for air.
I ate street food in 3rd world countries and survived so not much bothers me.
Shrimp almost killed my father.

Ben

Sensitive to dairy — though I’m hoping that eventually it’ll settle, I think I overtaxed my system with it and it might be okay in small amounts after I recover.

Dislikes: very few, but most cheeses made with a thermophilic starter (Swiss, Gruyere, Provolone, Parmesan, Feta … ), most blue cheeses except Stilton, brussel sprouts, and papaya.

Haven’t had jackfruit or escargot.

Will not eat balut, eyes, or brains. Other entrails I will try, at least.

I’ll take anyone’s cilantro who doesn’t want it. No soap taste for me. Yum!

Haven't found anything that bothers me, other than making my sugar numbers too high. Rice is #1 on that list and I don't really care for it unless its in Jambalya.
Don't like cooked greens as in leafy greens, love most all of them raw. Not wild about chicken, but we eat a fair amount of it anyway. Love most seafood, but can't stomach salmon, at least any I've had so far.

Not wild about chicken, but we eat a fair amount of it anyway. Love most seafood, but can't stomach salmon, at least any I've had so far.
I grew up eating home grown chickens in a variety of ways: fried, roasted, chicken and dumplings. When I started eating store bought chicken, I've not been fond of it. I can eat it easier when it is first cooked, but as leftovers? Ick! Turkey as well! I am not alone in this. I have other family members who also dislike it.

Does everyone have foods that make them not feel well if and when they eat them? What about known allergies to certain types of foods? What about foods that just taste nasty when you eat them, such as cilantro tasting like soap? What foods do you just not eat because you don't like the taste?

I have heard of so many food allergies. Do you have allergies or sensitivities? What do you do to work around these? Anyone have zero reaction to any foods they eat?

I know a woman who realized that she has a sensitivity to wheat, so she decided she would eat more rice. Well, she went out to eat with her husband and she had a real strong reaction to rice, more so than wheat. Her body, especially her joints swelled up and it was noticeable to her before she was even done eating. She eats limited amounts of wheat and no rice now.
Too much milk makes me have explosive sinusitis, oddly cheese I eat with impunity, gluten is very bad on me, bleached flower and sugar are worse but I can eat a quart of bran cereal and whole milk pretty much without a burp. Oat meal turns my guts inside out, I used to love it, then one day I woke up and it made me sick enough to die!, artificial cherry flavoring works like super laxative as does canned meat like treet or spam, I can eat Vienna sausage with impunity however, go figure. red beans in any amount are like poison, I can tolerate whole wheat, certain kinds of sour dough and even Italian bread but white flour is a night of agony, certain sausage casings wreck my guts too. and one brand of corned beef that comes in like a tuna can, but I think its just that company, even my cats tale a sniff and look at me like I'm retarded.
About half the beers out there make me sick enough to puke, the ones I can drink, I normally don't like. Largers and Ales I'm normally fine with.

I can only speak for myself, but the way I figure it works for me is that the alcohol relaxes me and that my tongue falls back and closes my airway. I wake up exhausted and with a headache from they hypoxia. Like you even half a drink is enough. I can't drink after lunch as there must be zero alcohol in my system at bedtime.
Yep, that is likely exactly what happens, it depresses respiratory drive, much like narcotics or drugs.
People that overdose die from respiratory depression or aspiration, but its pretty difficult to do with alcohol especially if you have built up a tolerance.
@Weedygarden I'm with you - totally fine with not drinking as we have alcoholism and addiction in our family. My dad was addicted to cocaine before I was born, and now he's addicted to religion. Go figure.

One thing I think is interesting, and definitely worth looking into, is the connection between the health of our gut bacteria and our digestive (and overall) health. I had a couple of rounds of antibiotics a while back that knocked my already messed up guts way out of whack. I've been trying to get more cultured foods and probiotics in me to bring things back in balance...

One thing I think is interesting, and definitely worth looking into, is the connection between the health of our gut bacteria and our digestive (and overall) health. I had a couple of rounds of antibiotics a while back that knocked my already messed up guts way out of whack. I've been trying to get more cultured foods and probiotics in me to bring things back in balance...
I take probiotics daily for this reason. Antibiotics really mess with your natural gut flora (as it can't distinguish between bad and good) and puts you at high risk for c.difficile.

Latest posts

Back