Food allergies, dislikes, and concerns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, I used to drink, lots, like a fifth a night, after work. I never had a hangover. One day I woke up and said to myself, "so this is what a hangover is like." Years later I figured out it was my sleep apnea kicking in and the headache was from hypoxia. I still love to drink but I love breathing more.
We were told in Chemistry class in high school that fermented alcohol such as beer and wine are more likely to give you a hangover vs the distilled alcohols. I’ve have found that to be true (in my younger days).

I take probiotics daily for this reason. Antibiotics really mess with your natural gut flora (as it can't distinguish between bad and good) and puts you at high risk for c.difficile.
Do you have one you like? My doctor strongly encouraged me to be taking VSL #3, but you can only get it at Costco or via mail (with overnight refrigerated shipping only $$) and I can't justify paying for the membership or the shipping. I've managed to get a couple of Costco pharmacists to sell it to me w/out a membership "just this once", but I think that boat has sailed now... I do have to admit it worked way better than the Culturelle I'm taking now which oddly tastes like fish?

Do you have one you like? My doctor strongly encouraged me to be taking VSL #3, but you can only get it at Costco or via mail (with overnight refrigerated shipping only $$) and I can't justify paying for the membership or the shipping. I've managed to get a couple of Costco pharmacists to sell it to me w/out a membership "just this once", but I think that boat has sailed now... I do have to admit it worked way better than the Culturelle I'm taking now which oddly tastes like fish?
The ones I used are geared towards premenopausal women... I don't think you would want those!
https://betterbody.co/products/provitalize
My hubs uses this one and likes it. Culturelle is pretty gross.
Biotics 8

One thing I think is interesting, and definitely worth looking into, is the connection between the health of our gut bacteria and our digestive (and overall) health. I had a couple of rounds of antibiotics a while back that knocked my already messed up guts way out of whack. I've been trying to get more cultured foods and probiotics in me to bring things back in balance...
I heard recently of a study that showed that eating honey regularly helps to diversify your gut flora. I haven’t followed up, but honey is also good for allergies and just plain tasty, so that sounds like a win-win to me.

I heard recently of a study that showed that eating honey regularly helps to diversify your gut flora. I haven’t followed up, but honey is also good for allergies and just plain tasty, so that sounds like a win-win to me.
I put a teaspoon of honey in my coffee every morning!!

For the best results it should be local honey. It will have local pollen etc. Some honey on the market is just cooked sugar. Still other honey on the market is bee honey but it is filtered and heated so much of the healthy goodies are destroyed or removed.

One thing I think is interesting, and definitely worth looking into, is the connection between the health of our gut bacteria and our digestive (and overall) health. I had a couple of rounds of antibiotics a while back that knocked my already messed up guts way out of whack. I've been trying to get more cultured foods and probiotics in me to bring things back in balance...
Know anyone with cows? real buttermilk. Home made buttermilk is like mainlining probiotics.

My daughter is allergic to chicken. Weird but true. It makes her vomit and she has actually had a allergic reaction to it that made her go to the hospital and get a shot.
I hope I didn't cause that by cooking a lot of chicken when she was growing up.

I have no food allergies but a list of dislikes . I won't eat shrimp, lobster and most other shellfish. Groce! Fish is ok as long as it is fresh and cooked right, but not my favorite.
I don't eat mushrooms, yuck, slimy fungus. No liver either , the dogs get the goat and lamb livers. No fake sweeteners of any kind, nasty aftertaste. Very little caffeine , makes my heart race. No okra, no spam, beets are not my favorite, no undercooked meat ( every meat must be well done or I won't eat it) , no mint ice cream , very little fast food , haven't had any in a long time

@winds-of-change - unfortunately I can't have dairy, and haven't had much luck with dairy free yogurt or keifer, and there's only so many ways to eat pickles & kraut before dietary fatigue sets in. I know the good old ways are probably the best, but sometimes our modern bodies can't handle them :/

@jishinsjourney - I love having a reason to put a little honey in my morning tea :)
@Caribou - We're blessed that we have tons of options for local, unrefined honey. I guess Utah isn't called the beehive state for nothing!

For the best results it should be local honey. It will have local pollen etc. Some honey on the market is just cooked sugar. Still other honey on the market is bee honey but it is filtered and heated so much of the healthy goodies are destroyed or removed.
Yeah, definitely. I get mine at the farmers’ market from a farmer about fifteen miles away. I’d love to try beekeeping myself, but our little suburban property isn’t big enough.

Saw this today and was going to post it in joke & humor, but it really fits better here. I've not been able to read through this whole thread so haven't yet commented (I do have allergies, but. . .)
1652369590825.png

Yeah, definitely. I get mine at the farmers’ market from a farmer about fifteen miles away. I’d love to try beekeeping myself, but our little suburban property isn’t big enough.
A bee hive only takes about 4 square feet. The bees will range for miles so they are leaving your property, unless you buy Wyoming.

A dear wise woman once told me, if you are sick, eat what you are craving, its your body's way of telling you what you need to fix yourself. I crave lemon juice and hot pepper, red meat and coffee. what's wrong with me I wonder?

A dear wise woman once told me, if you are sick, eat what you are craving, its your body's way of telling you what you need to fix yourself. I crave lemon juice and hot pepper, red meat and coffee. what's wrong with me I wonder?
thyroid & iron????

Way back in 1978 my wife and I had to take a birthing class so I could be in the delivery room with her.
A woman in the class asked the instructor about cravings. She said if you are crazing something your body is telling you it needs something so you should just eat whatever you crave.
She then asked the woman what she was craving. Her reply was Comet. Everyone was shocked when she said she had eaten a spoon full once. The instructor said do not eat that and go see her doctor ASAP.

A bee hive only takes about 4 square feet. The bees will range for miles so they are leaving your property, unless you buy Wyoming.
I’ve been told that it’s wisest to give them about a fifteen-foot radius where you are not using the space frequently, so that they are not disturbed on a regular basis. That we don’t have.

I wonder if there is someone, such as a nutritionist, who could evaluate you? Have you been around chemicals and other things that could be harmful?

One of my cousins had a cleaning business. She used the harshest chemical cleaners she could find because they were the most effective, in her opinion. She began to not feel well, twisted joints, etc. and decided to go to someone to be evaluated. I don't think it was a doctor, someone who is a nutritionist or something. The person did the stress test where she had to hold her arm out horizontally at her side, and resist the pulling down of her arm for different foods. When they were done, cousin had about 5 things that were on her good to eat list. She eats lots of raw broccoli and sold her cleaning company.

Have you done any research with the Weston Price foundation? A friend of mine has gone through the elimination diet twice, with two different practitioners, a couple years apart. She has always struggled with disliking many foods. She literally ate roasted chicken for lunch for years. I think she is one of the pickiest eaters I've ever known, but I have known others that I know were picky. It just wasn't allowed in my grandmother's house growing up. We were given such a hard time about so many things, that it was something not to resist about.

Have you done any research with the Weston Price foundation? A friend of mine has gone through the elimination diet twice, with two different practitioners, a couple years apart. She has always struggled with disliking many foods. She literally ate roasted chicken for lunch for years. I think she is one of the pickiest eaters I've ever known, but I have known others that I know were picky. It just wasn't allowed in my grandmother's house growing up. We were given such a hard time about so many things, that it was something not to resist about.
We're big fans of Weston Price's work, and Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" was huge in teaching us how to eat healthier. I feel super fortunate that we have this knowledge, because if I was still eating the way I was 20 years ago ( 2 fast food meals + one homemade meal that was probably high in refined carbs, damaged fats & artificial everything) I'd be dead and gone by now!

Part of the challenge I'm facing now is that I was doing strict keto and intermittent fasting to get my diabetes under control. In the last 6 months I've dropped 65 lbs and my A1C has gone from 8.5 to 5.1, which was exactly what needed to happen. Now that I've got some wiggle room there, I need to start bringing some good nutrition back into my diet :)

Last edited:
We're big fans of Weston Price's work, and Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" was huge in teaching us how to eat healthier. I feel super fortunate that we have this knowledge, because if I was still eating the way I was 20 years ago ( 2 fast food meals + one homemade meal that was probably high in refined carbs, damaged fats & artificial everything) I'd be dead and gone by now!
We have a WP chapter here. I've been to many of their meetings. One of the local leaders lives in my neighborhood and walks by my house almost daily.

We have a WP chapter here. I've been to many of their meetings. One of the local leaders lives in my neighborhood and walks by my house almost daily.
Wow, the WP site is a lot better than what I remember from the 90's ;) When we were in Ohio we didn't have a chapter nearby, but we had a couple of other like minded families we shared ideas/support with. Just saw there is a chapter in our county in Utah, and they have an active FB page. We'll have to check them out!

I swear by IF. I know there was a study that came out that said it didn’t work, but there were so many confounders, it’s the definition of junk science. I do IF, and feel so much better on it.
@Weedygarden not to derail the topic, maybe we could post under narcissistic personality but I definitely believe addictive personalities are a thing and it’s hereditary- my brother is the same way. And yes my dad is a huge narcissist. Took me 44 years to realize how bad, but therapy helps.

Wow, the WP site is a lot better than what I remember from the 90's ;) When we were in Ohio we didn't have a chapter nearby, but we had a couple of other like minded families we shared ideas/support with. Just saw there is a chapter in our county in Utah, and they have an active FB page. We'll have to check them out!
People are interesting and I am always aware of people and their behaviors. It comes with Montessori training, minimally 100 hours of observation of behavior. Our local group has many self focused people who are completely unaware that there are other people there as well.
There is always a potluck, and the food has to be organic and of WP standards. No problem with that. Everyone brings something to share. Food is set up on serving tables and people go through and help themselves. No problem! With the way the serving tables were set up and the chairs were arranged, there was one couple who positioned themselves to be first in line every time. The request from the leaders was something like taking small samples of everything and only one plate of food. I think this was said because of this couple. Couple, always first, goes through line and takes their time, fills two plates up while others are waiting. I don't wait in line easily because of my back. My choice is to wait until I no longer have to stand and wait, then get in line, even if I am dead last. I don't usually care.
I think that after doing this for several meetings, leaders got it. One meeting they get up and say we are going to start with the first row today and they do. Couple who positioned themselves to be first are almost last.

We had a meeting at some place where a woman has a well established yard with medicinal plants. I love this kind of stuff, but there were people who were up front and center and you could not get around them or see most of the plants that were being shown. So frustrating for me. And the garden tour was well over an hour, with me standing, and not be able to see squat.

When our leader walks by and I see her, she tells me they missed me at the meetings. They do some great field trips and have great presentations. I have never told her that the meetings are too much for me because I sometimes have to stand and can't see, but if they would just take a moment and make everyone aware, and carefully rearrange, we could all see, hear and maybe even sit if we needed to.

Took me 44 years to realize how bad, but therapy helps.
I was around 50 when I had my realization about narcissism and addiction, my family issues. My narcissistic sister has always focused on the alcoholism, but I believe that alcoholism is a symptom of narcissism. People can stop drinking, drugging or whatever addiction they have, but the narcissism is virtually incurable.

Latest posts

Back