Food Grade Plastics & Symbols

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Food grade plastics came up in a couple of threads recently. The symbols used and designations have changed a lot over the last 20 yrs. So, I went looking for current lists. I included links to the lists I found. Does anyone have better lists of designations currently in use?

Oh, my favorite and most reliable place to by food grade containers of any type or purpose is US Plastics Corp. U.S. Plastic Corp. | Plastic Bottles, Tubing & Fittings, Tanks, Buckets, Pipe, Sheet & Labware

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/safe-plastics-for-food-and-drink/
#1 PETE (polyethylene terephthalate)
Plastic Water Bottles & Soft Drink Containers
Water, soda, and juice bottles are typically made of #1 PETE. Though be aware that they are not designed for reuse.

#2 HDPE (high density polyethylene)
Plastic milk jugs are a common use for food-safe #2 plastic.

Another use is for food grade storage buckets. However it’s worth noting that not all #2 HDPE buckets are apparently food grade. Read below for more on food grade buckets… ,

#4 LDPE (low density polyethylene)
#4 LDPE is a lightweight plastic. It’s commonly used for shopping bags / grocery store plastic bags. Also the waterproof inner/outer layer for some juice and milk cartons.

#5 PP (polypropylene)
Polypropylene is a very strong durable plastic. It has a high melting point making it ideal for hot-fill liquids. Plastic cups, baby bottles, kitchenware, microwave plastic containers are some of the common uses.

Risky Plastics Not Safe for Food and Drink
These plastics may leach or have hazardous ingredients:

#3 PVC (polyvinyl chloride) carcinogens during manufacture and incineration
#6 PS (polystyrene) possible carcinogen
#7 PC (usually polycarbonate, sometimes labeled PC) may leach BPA (Bisphenol-A)

Food Grade Buckets
The common 5 gallon bucket. They’re made of #2 HDPE.

If the bucket is considered ‘food grade’ it is typically marketed as such and labeled “Food Grade”, “Food Safe”, etc. Look for the label.

Some food grade buckets or containers will include a cup & fork symbol as an indicator.

A food-grade bucket or container might also be specifically marked as USDA approved (or FDA or NSF approved).

If you will be storing food directly in a plastic bucket or container, or if you will be using the container for drinking water, you might verify the material is food-safe before you purchase.

FOOD GRADE PLASTIC WATER CONTAINERS
The typical ‘blue’ water storage containers or water barrels are also made of high density polyethylene #2 HDPE and are marketed as food safe.

----------------------------------------------

Food Safe Plastics by the Number by the Suvival Mom
https://thesurvivalmom.com/food-safe-plastics-by-the-number/
Types Of Plastic

In the United States, the following codes represent the seven categories of plastic used in nearly all plastic containers and product packaging:

1 - PET PET or PETE (polyethylene terephthalate) is a clear, tough polymer with exceptional gas and moisture barrier properties. PET’s ability to contain carbon dioxide (carbonation) makes it ideal for use in soft drink bottles. Examples: Soft drink bottles, detergent bottles

2 - HDPE (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents. Most five gallon food buckets are made from HDPE.Examples: Milk bottles, shopping bags

3 - Vinyl (polyvinyl chloride, or PVC) provides excellent clarity, puncture resistance and cling. As a film, vinyl can breathe just the right amount, making it ideal for packaging fresh meats that require oxygen to ensure a bright red surface while maintaining an acceptable shelf life.Examples: Plastic food wrap, shrink wrap, garden hoses, shoe soles

4 - LDPE (low density polyethylene) offers clarity and flexibility. It is used to make bottles that require flexibility. To take advantage of its strength and toughness in film form, it is used to produce grocery bags and garbage bags, shrink and stretch film, and coating for milk cartons.Examples: Squeeze bottles, dry cleaning bags

5 - PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point, polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles, including ketchup and syrup. It is also used for products that need to be incubated, such as yogurt. Many Cambo, Tupperware and Rubbermaid food storage containers are made from PP.Examples: Bottle caps, take-out food containers, drinking straws

6 - PS (polystyrene), in its crystalline form, is a colorless plastic that can be clear and hard. It can also be foamed to provide exceptional insulation properties. Foamed or expanded polystyrene (EPS) is used for products such as meat trays, egg cartons and coffee cups. It is also used for packaging and protecting appliances, electronics and other sensitive products. Examples: Plastic foam, packing peanuts, coat hangers

7 - Other denotes plastics made from other types of resin or from several resins mixed together. These usually cannot be recycled.

Another important type of plastic is polycarbonate, a clear shatter-resistant material used in restaurant food storage containers and the Rubbermaid Premier line of stain-resistant home food storage containers. Baby bottles and most 5-gallon water containers are made from polycarbonate.

--------------------------------------

Plastic Container Symbols for Food Grade Plastics by Georga News Day
https://georgianewsday.com/lifestyle/56040-plastic-container-symbols-for-food-grade-plastics.html
1. PETE: Polyethylene terephthalate ethylene, used forsoft drink, juice, water, detergent, cleaner and peanutbutter containers.

2. HDPE: High density polyethylene, used in opaque plastic milk and water jugs, bleach, detergent and shampoo bottles, and some plastic bags.

3. PVC or V: Polyvinyl chloride, used for cling wrap, plastic squeeze bottles, cooking oil and peanut butter containers, and detergent and window cleaner bottles.

4. LDPE: Low density polyethylene, used in grocery store bags, most plastic wraps, Ziplock bags and some bottles.

5. PP: Polypropylene, used in most Rubbermaid, deli soup, syrup and yogurt containers, straws and other clouded plastic containers, including baby bottles.

6. PS: Polystyrene, used in styrofoam food trays, egg cartons, disposable cups and bowls, carry-out containers and opaque plastic cutlery.

7. Other: This is a catch-all category for plastics that don’t fit into the #1-6 categories. It includes polycarbonate, bio-based plastics, co-polyester, acrylic, polyamide and plastic mixtures like styrene-acrylonitrile resin (SAN). Number 7 plastics are used for a variety of products like baby bottles and “sippy” cups, baby food jars, 5-gallon water bottles, “sport” water bottles, plastic dinnerware and clear plastic cutlery.

Last edited:
Being unfamiliar with different plastics, I bought mine through Emergency Essentials, { be prepared.com }. It's a Mormon company that also carries number 10 cans of dehydrated foods with long shelf life. Don't worry, They don't try to convert you to their beliefs. Great company to deal with.

5 - PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point, polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles, including ketchup and syrup. It is also used for products that need to be incubated, such as yogurt. Many Cambo, Tupperware and Rubbermaid food storage containers are made from PP.Examples: Bottle caps, take-out food containers, drinking straws
The hard caps and lids that are on things like soda bottles, peanut butter jars, etc. are recycled into things like benches. Many people put them back on the container they came on and toss them into the recycling bins. I keep a gallon ziplock bag on my bulletin board in my kitchen and put the lids in it. It takes a while to collect enough to fill the bag. There are groups, like girl scout troops who work to collect them for benches for specific places.

https://www.scearthconnection.org/bottle-caps-to-benches/
I just went to the website and it says they are taking a break from donations because they have so many to sort. That won't stop me. I know how long it takes to collect them. I don't drink soda and other things that come in bottles like that, so I don't have that many caps and lids.

There are other places that collect these caps as well. Ways to Help Charities With Bottle Caps | LoveToKnow

Here is a blow up of the symbols posted by modern survival blog.

food grade.jpg

Latest posts

Back