Food Storage Information

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been searching for recipes to add to the wheat thread. A cookbook that is in pdf format came up. I realize that there are a few available online.

This particular cookbook is from an LDS church in Tempe, AZ and was updated in 2001. Because it is that old and LDS, the recipes are based on the LDS food storage list.

I do store what I eat and eat what I store to a point. I do have most of the items from the suggested LDS list, and know how to use it. The challenge, already discussed, is that it is largely carbs.

The pdf that is in this first post includes recipes, suggested amounts to store, tracking sheets, and more. The odd numbered pages are off a little and the right edge of the page is cut off a little.

http://www.reynoldsnet.org/preparedness/Home_Storage_cookbook_final.pdf

Last edited:
Food Storage Recipes and More!
There are direction to make salves and other medicinals too!
Food Storage Recipes and More!.JPG

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Swa8Pwy-0KZmRkZWQ3YTEtYmQxNy00MGVlLTllNTEtNDYwNTNjODVkNjg4/view

What are you doing with resources like this? Are you printing them?
I have a few notebooks that I have printed some of these kinds of things out, punched holes and put in the notebooks. I am thinking that I would like to go through these pdf's and find recipes of particular interest and maybe print them out, not the whole manual. I was looking for a pita bread recipe and this is where I ended up.

That one link takes you to all kinds of links about all aspects of preparedness and that could literally be a few cases of paper. I won't do that. But the recipes for home remedies and salves would be something I would like to add to my health notebook.

Periodically there is someone who has no idea where to start with food storage. That first post has one format for what to have. There are a few ways to approach food storage and different things work for different people.

This says it is a one year supply of food for one adult. I am not sure of that, but it could be. Again, one person's idea of a year's supply. The food includes boxes of things like boxes of macaroni and cheese that I would want to seal up in a couple more layers for protection. It seems like lots of cardboard storage, which in and of itself attracts insects.

http://www.allselfsustained.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Food Storage.pdf

Lets say that you take a bag of white rice from the store. You pour it into a good thick Mylar bag. you drop in an O2 absorber and then you seal the bag with an iron. The next day you inspect the bag and see that it has vacuum sealed and is all shrunk up. You place that bag into a bucket and seal the lid on it. At that point do you need to be concerned about moisture or insects or anything else inside the mylar bag?

Lets say that you take a bag of white rice from the store. You pour it into a good thick Mylar bag. you drop in an O2 absorber and then you seal the bag with an iron. The next day you inspect the bag and see that it has vacuum sealed and is all shrunk up. You place that bag into a bucket and seal the lid on it. At that point do you need to be concerned about moisture or insects or anything else inside the mylar bag?
That would probably be fine. Adding a desiccant would help. If you reduce the O2 to 3% the eggs will not hatch. If you bring the CO2 up to 3% the eggs will not hatch.

What Caribou said. I would be concerned before I even sealed the mylar bag. You can put the rice in a pan in a low temp oven for a while and that takes care of insects and their eggs before you seal up the rice. Rice, however, is not something, in my experience, that gets insects. Wheat, and flour and a few other things are more likely to. Of all of my food storage, potato flakes are more likely to get buggy, as is oatmeal, especially if they are not in good containers. Cardboard is just an invitation for an infestation.

Mylar doesn't always work for me. I bought some garbanzo's and sealed them in a few mylar bags. Garbanzos have a little point on them, and the mylar got little holes in it, breaking the seal. Then I borrowed a canner from the LDS storehouse, which you could at that time, bought cans and lids and sealed up those garbanzos (and a few other items). No problem with holes in the cans.

If the mylar has not gotten the little holes in it, I would have put the bags into a 5 gallon bucket.

What Caribou said. I would be concerned before I even sealed the mylar bag. You can put the rice in a pan in a low temp oven for a while and that takes care of insects and their eggs before you seal up the rice. Rice, however, is not something, in my experience, that gets insects. Wheat, and flour and a few other things are more likely to. Of all of my food storage, potato flakes are more likely to get buggy, as is oatmeal, especially if they are not in good containers. Cardboard is just an invitation for an infestation.

Mylar doesn't always work for me. I bought some garbanzo's and sealed them in a few mylar bags. Garbanzos have a little point on them, and the mylar got little holes in it, breaking the seal. Then I borrowed a canner from the LDS storehouse, which you could at that time, bought cans and lids and sealed up those garbanzos (and a few other items). No problem with holes in the cans.

If the mylar has not gotten the little holes in it, I would have put the bags into a 5 gallon bucket.

I had that problem using mylar that I bought off of Amazon. Then I switched to the maylar bags from the LDS store online. They were much thicker and I didn't have problems with holes after that. I do not store flour. The storage life is too short to make it worthwhile to me. I would rather store wheat berry and grind flour as needed. (Wheat berry was found in the pyramids and sprouted after 2000 years)

https://homesteadsurvivalsite.com/store-wheat-berries-instead-flour/
3 Reasons To Store Wheat Berries Instead of Flour

By Julie Dees 2 Comments ✓ This post may contain affiliate links*
There is a debate among homesteaders about which form you should store your wheat in – whole berries or ground flour. One camp touts the many uses of raw berries while the other side praises the immediate use of the prepared flour. So which is better?

There is no real right answer. As with so many other things in life, it comes down to your personal preferences and factors such as cost, storage, and versatility. However, in this article, you’ll see that there are more advantages to storing wheat berries.

1. Wheat Berries Are Cheaper
When it comes to cost comparisons, the wheat berries are far more economical than buying ground flour. It is a small amount of work to grind the flour yourself. When you combine this with how long the berries will last, it is easy to justify the larger storage needs for the whole wheat.

Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It on Pinterest!
One of the largest costs associated with using whole wheat berries is a grain grinder. There are many styles and price ranges on the market. You want to choose a well-built grinder designed specifically for grains. Cheaper versions or methods may seem like a bargain, but if you have to replace them more than once or add extra processing steps, you won’t have saved anything.

2. Wheat Berries Have a Longer Shel life
Wheat berries can be stored for decades while flour has a limited shelf life in comparison. The flour loses nutrients and shelf life as soon as the wheat is cracked open and exposed to air. The oil in the cracked wheat kernel interacts with the oxygen which can cause the flour to become rancid fairly quickly – within months.

Researchers celebrated when wheat berries found in Egyptian pyramids sprouted after 2000 years. The key to the amazing longevity is the storage – constant, cooler temperatures along with airtight containers.

Each of the modern systems below has both good and bad things going for it. You might choose based on things such as cost, security, and portability. No matter which method you pick, the wheat should be in a cool location away from direct sunlight.

• Mylar bags – These are efficient, lightweight, and portable. Their downfall is the high cost and susceptibility to rodents.
  • Double bags – Many grains come in their own double bags, often made of cloth. While this method has been in use for centuries, it does not keep the bugs out of your grain.
  • Glass jars – Smaller amounts of wheat berries can be stored in glass jars. These are best when it is being used on a regular basis.
  • Metal cans – Tin cans are still a popular way of storing grain for some areas. They have a few issues though as the cans will rust in humid climates. They need an opener and the grain can take on a “tinny” smell (it will dissipate after the grain is in the open air for a while).
  • Barrels – Large barrels are often used for grain storage in bigger bulk quantities. While usually rodent-proof, the largest issue is portability. If you have to leave in a hurry, your barrels aren’t going with you.
  • 5-gallon buckets – Food grade 5-gallon buckets can be found for free at many bakeries and grocers. They stack well and are easily moved from one place to another. The only real issues with these buckets are that they can be hard to open and rodents can chew through them.
  • Oxygen absorbers – These are exactly what they sound like – they absorb air and moisture. Added to any of the above methods, they help retain freshness and viability. (It is probably a waste of money in the double bag method as it isn’t airtight.)
3. Wheat Berries Are More Versatile
While the ground flour allows you to create dishes right away, the whole wheat berries can be used in other ways. They are a versatile foodstuff that can be boiled and eaten like oatmeal. You can pop them like popcorn, use them instead of rice, and utilize them as a filler in meatloaf and other dishes.

Nutritionally speaking, the berries are a better choice per serving as they retain their value. Just ¼ cup of uncooked wheat berries provides healthy doses of fiber, iron, and potassium. The serving contains about 150 calories and over 30 grams of carbohydrates – both necessary for keeping those energy levels up. Fresh wheat sprouts are an excellent source of iron, several vitamins (A, C, and D), and minerals such as calcium.

Because the grain is still whole, it can also be planted to provide more produce – for you and your livestock. One pound of wheat berries can turn into about seven pounds of fodder for your animals. It is a simple and inexpensive way to ensure you’ll have plenty of food for everyone and everything.

Conclusion
Hopefully this article has helped clear up some of the questions you might have had regarding the benefits of storing wheat berries instead of ground flour. We would love to hear any of your experiences with or thoughts on the subject.

At that point do you need to be concerned about moisture or insects or anything else inside the mylar bag?

I was thinking about this last night and thought that there may be additional protein if you have insects in your food! Just kidding.

Glass jars – Smaller amounts of wheat berries can be stored in glass jars. These are best when it is being used on a regular basis.
I like glass jars for storing many things. I like to have a variety of things like lentils and other things for making Indian dal's. Those are kept in quart canning jars. I actually have several cases of canning jars that are dry foods. I type up and print out what is in each case and put it on the side of the box so I can find what is in each case.

I also agree that wheat is better to store than flour, but if you have ever made bread with just wheat and then made some with white flour and wheat flour, the mix of the two makes for a lighter bread. I buy flour and sugar when it is on sale in November and December and use it during the year. It really helps to keep it rotated that way.

I use mason jars for my dehydrated fruits and veggies. I dehydrate then put in jars and watch for a week or two. If I don't see any moisture on the jar I throw in an O2 absorber and seal. If I do see any moisture on the jars then it was not dehydrated long enough.I have some that were sealed in 2011 and looks perfect still.

For storage foods there is always the LDS canneries. Many of the items there are very reasonable. Here is a link to find a distribution site near you. Just one more option for everyone. Note: I have never used their services(yet).
https://providentliving.lds.org/food-storage/home-storage-center-locations-map?lang=eng
Really, if you live at all close to a distribution center, or are going somewhere where there is one, you should check it out. In my experience, people have been very helpful. I was nervous the first time, and there was no problem. Hours vary, so check them out before driving there.

When I was really building my basics, I set a budget for myself, set some goals, and went every time I had a day off that they were open, which really wasn't often. I kept setting goals and hitting them, and resetting. It took a while, but was so worthwhile, IMHO. At the same time, I was working on things that they didn't carry.

I was at the one in Aurora, Colorado one day, and a man came in from South Dakota with a large order for himself and people he knew back home. He was probably in Colorado for other reasons, but he was at the center filling up his vehicle to drive back home.

You can order stuff and have it delivered as well. I have never done that, so I have no idea about delivery fees.

At one point we wanted to put away some freeze dried meat and dairy so one of us became a Shelf reliance distributor. Around October or November they have a big sale. At that point the other bought lots of dairy and meats from Shelf reliance Thrive and reaped the discounts and bonuses all at once.

Really, if you live at all close to a distribution center, or are going somewhere where there is one, you should check it out. In my experience, people have been very helpful. I was nervous the first time, and there was no problem. Hours vary, so check them out before driving there.

When I was really building my basics, I set a budget for myself, set some goals, and went every time I had a day off that they were open, which really wasn't often. I kept setting goals and hitting them, and resetting. It took a while, but was so worthwhile, IMHO. At the same time, I was working on things that they didn't carry.

I was at the one in Aurora, Colorado one day, and a man came in from South Dakota with a large order for himself and people he knew back home. He was probably in Colorado for other reasons, but he was at the center filling up his vehicle to drive back home.

You can order stuff and have it delivered as well. I have never done that, so I have no idea about delivery fees.

I ordered some things online from them. Cases of wheat mostly. Sealed mylar bags of some things like rice and beans, dehydrated and sealed in jars fruits and veggies and ordered freeze dried meats and dairy. Put away a lot of cases of MRE when I lived near a military base too that I bought from soldiers who came back from the field.

Latest posts

Back