Food Storage Information

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Food Storage for one month for one adult, basic and bare bones. You could certainly add more items to your food storage, but this would be survival.

I snipped this from page 2 of this: https://www.mormonshare.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BasicFoodStorageRecipes2.pdf

I went through this list and found the prices for the LDS storehouse. I came up with $45.75, but that doesn't include the cooking oil or shortening not the salt. That is about $1.50 a day per person.

Has anyone ever eaten the rice from the LDS storehouse? I have not. I have some, but have other rice as well. From a friend, the LDS rice is not very palatable, which is why I sought out other rice varieties. I keep the other in 5 gallon buckets.
upload_2019-2-4_21-31-34.png

Thanks @Weedygarden for all the great information :) ,we have no LDS canneries here in Australia unfortunately but source things rather cheaply from multiple places. The best way to work out what your individual family uses in the way of food is start writing on everything when you open it and when it is used and work your individual list from there as this is what we did to store for the 2 of us. Any food storage calculator is only a guide as each families tastes and needs will differ so something to keep in mind.

This is the food storage list we work with in our home and the water is way out and you need to store way more than this -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4EjTfXhwMcwU2dPRkRuSUxjbU0/edit .

White rice is just bleh. Cook it in bouillon, add salsa, add something! For the love of all that is humanity, season the freakin' white rice! I prefer brown.
Sorry to interrupt.
Jasmine rice is ok. I don't know how well it stores long term.
Who are you interrupting? No one that I can tell. This is a forum and maybe I am posting too much?

I have a lot of passion about food storage, having gained some knowledge about it and hope I am not over-running with this thread, although I know I have posted lots in this thread and the wheat thread. I see people asking about food storage in other forums and a little here, so I think a good bit of information in a thread or threads here is worth developing. There are still people who have no food storage and somewhat have no idea where to begin.

I do have much more to post about food storage and about topics such as rice, beans, sources, and more that have not been developed here. I am trying to not put it all out at once, because then it may just be viewed as pushing it down people's throats, or people might see so much of it, they won't participate or engage. I believe food storage is a very important topic, but do not see myself as knowing more than others. We have been here more than a year and little has been developed here about it. I know some people are really not interested, or are only interested slightly. There are some people out there who are very knowledgeable, experienced, and passionate about food storage and who are sharing for the world to see.

Rice is another one of those things that is just carbs. It basically turns to sugar when you eat it. i would think it would be a nightmare for a diabetic. I haven't eaten it for years, but did buy a package of dirty rice and some andoulie sausage recently to check it out, which is kind of odd for me. I saw two different people cooking it recently on YouTube, so I decided to give it a try. Spice and variety are going to be very important when we have a SHTF situation.

I have rice because it will be a good filler, if needed, and many dishes can be made with it. I have some jasmine, basmati, and a few other varieties. I have rice to make sushi and sticky rice (made with coconut milk). My daughter's celiac has pushed me toward having more of it. It can also be ground into flour and used in a mix of flours for gf cooking. I expect that the LDS rice that I have will mostly be flour one day.

The other thing about rice is that buying larger bags of it is so easy because of all the Asian markets. You can easily find 20, 25, and 50 pound bags. Costco and Sam's also carry large bags of rice. I even see larger bags at Walmart. It is inexpensive and readily available.

I used to eat brown rice and stir fry veggies a lot. Brown rice is really good, but has a limited shelf life, less than a year. The best way I can see to store it long-term is in a freezer. I could see eating stir fry and rice in a SHTF situation if you have a good garden and are struggling with little or no meat.

No, @Weedygarden you're fine. I just seem to jump in and derail things everywhere. It's all good!
I love all your postings, you've got knowledge I'm lacking in.
I didn't know that about brown rice shelf or storage life.
In my case, having something to flavor white rice might be important. We usually serve a main course over white rice.
Someone told me about being allergic to white rice. It can sure help keep weight on too so I don't eat it a lot.

Keep the food storage stuff coming, Weedy. I like food storage, too.
Brown rice can be cooked, dehydrated, (made into instant) and it will store longer.
How much longer? Don't know. But longer.

No, @Weedygarden you're fine. I just seem to jump in and derail things everywhere. It's all good!
I love all your postings, you've got knowledge I'm lacking in.
I didn't know that about brown rice shelf or storage life.
In my case, having something to flavor white rice might be important. We usually serve a main course over white rice.
Someone told me about being allergic to white rice. It can sure help keep weight on too so I don't eat it a lot.

Thank you, both, for your encouragement. There is much more to come.

I have a friend who thought she had an allergy to wheat, so decided to start eating rice. Then she realized she really has an allergy to rice, and wheat bothers her, but not nearly like rice. Wheat does cause inflammation in all of us. There is information out there that soaking it for a day or two really makes it better for us to consume.

Thanks @Weedygarden for all the great information :) ,we have no LDS canneries here in Australia unfortunately but source things rather cheaply from multiple places. The best way to work out what your individual family uses in the way of food is start writing on everything when you open it and when it is used and work your individual list from there as this is what we did to store for the 2 of us. Any food storage calculator is only a guide as each families tastes and needs will differ so something to keep in mind.

This is the food storage list we work with in our home and the water is way out and you need to store way more than this -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4EjTfXhwMcwU2dPRkRuSUxjbU0/edit .
Sewing, this is a really good and comprehensive list. I think all of us could use this list as a guideline. I am printing it out as I type here. This is a really good list for anyone to work from. Some people will never have this much food storage, while others will have much more. Others prefer food from cans and boxes and are not so much about cooking for scratch. I believe that cooking from scratch is a skill we all could use. It takes more time, makes a bigger mess to clean up, and requires more attention.

LDS canneries: I have been told that the food that is sold in the canneries is raised on LDS farms all around the U.S. Given the amount of LDS members in the U.S., it makes sense to me that they can run and support these farms. Perhaps they purchase some of their products. I have no idea about how many LDS there are in Australia.

Before I tuned into the LDS canneries, I was doing a search in my area for all of the possibilities, even feed stores. I began with beans and rice at Costco and a bag of wheat at a local survival store. I believe my first purchase at the cannery was black beans and powdered milk. The powdered milk will probably be the last of my food to be consumed, but may not be.

Food Storage for one month for one adult, basic and bare bones. You could certainly add more items to your food storage, but this would be survival.

I snipped this from page 2 of this: https://www.mormonshare.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BasicFoodStorageRecipes2.pdf

I went through this list and found the prices for the LDS storehouse. I came up with $45.75, but that doesn't include the cooking oil or shortening not the salt. That is about $1.50 a day per person.

Has anyone ever eaten the rice from the LDS storehouse? I have not. I have some, but have other rice as well. From a friend, the LDS rice is not very palatable, which is why I sought out other rice varieties. I keep the other in 5 gallon buckets.
View attachment 10284
I have been thinking about this bare bones list of food for one month for one person. Could you survive with this? Yes, but would you want to live on just this? I wouldn't. I like things that could go with these. What would we need to make these more usable? How would you use them and what would you need in your pantry to eat them?

Wheat? It could be used to make flour for baking bread, cooked as a cereal for breakfast, sprouted for greens. What is not on the list is yeast. That would make a big difference in using the wheat. A wheat grinder would be the most important thing to make flour from the wheat. I would want some butter, peanut butter, jelly and cheese to eat my bread.

Flour? It can be used in baking bread, used to thicken gravies and sauces. Baking powder could be important if making quick breads, cakes and cookies.

White rice? It could be used as a base for foods served with it, ground for a flour, fried rice, Spanish rice, and other main dishes. Spices would be important for rice.

Quick oats? It can be eaten as oatmeal or muesli (uncooked, but soaked), added to breads, made into granola, used in cakes and cookies and meatloaf. I worked with a man whose family were vegetarians and they ate oat patties with mushroom gravy.

Macaroni? Mac and cheese (need cheese or cheese powder), macaroni salad, in casseroles and soups.

Pinto beans? Eaten as side dish, refried beans, in soups, salads, main dishes, and in baked goods (cakes and pies).

Powdered milk? Mixed for drinking (if you can stand it), made into other milk products, and some cheeses.

With this basic plan, we can survive, not live high on the hog, but not starve either.

White rice is just bleh. Cook it in bouillon, add salsa, add something! For the love of all that is humanity, season the freakin' white rice!
White rice is usually a mainstay item for most preppers. It can be purchased for a very reasonable cost and has a very long shelf life. The good thing about rice is it can be added to almost any other food to stretch it out.

When determining how much food will last how long you have to consider the needed calories. If everyone will be working hard they will need more calorie intake. If everyone will just be lounging around the house then calorie intake can be cut, maybe cut in half.

I used to eat brown rice and stir fry veggies a lot. Brown rice is really good, but has a limited shelf life, less than a year.

The brown rice we are currently using was vacuum sealed in jars in 2012.

What is not on the list is yeast.

Its pretty easy to capture yeast with a sour dough starter. Just takes a bit of time. I do keep several 1lb packages in the freezer. The kid is making pizza with some dated 2/13. I also have some in a pantry can. I think Its from emergency essentials.

The brown rice we are currently using was vacuum sealed in jars in 2012.

Its pretty easy to capture yeast with a sour dough starter. Just takes a bit of time. I do keep several 1lb packages in the freezer. The kid is making pizza with some dated 2/13. I also have some in a pantry can. I think Its from emergency essentials.
I have yeast in my freezer that is from around 2000. The last time I used it, it was still good. I have wanted to do sour dough, but since I am not eating much bread, I haven't felt a push to do so yet. I know I need to practice with it.

The food produced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is used for those in need. It is given to help those stuck in situations where there is devastation from natural disasters. It is not only for selling to members and non-members.
Yes, they have a "store" or an area that is set up almost like a store, but with their own products. I walked into that area when I was searching for the Bishop's Storehouse to purchase food for storage. I have seen people coming and going with their groceries from there. I think it is a a wise thing for them (LDS) to do, to produce their own products, to know how to produce them, and to take charge of that aspect of welfare in their church. If someone goes to their local leader and expresses a shortfall in finances, rather than giving them money, they get food. Other needs may be taken care of as well. I believe there is a lot of wisdom in how they take care of their own. I just do not believe in their teachings.

Who are you interrupting? No one that I can tell. This is a forum and maybe I am posting too much?

I have a lot of passion about food storage, having gained some knowledge about it and hope I am not over-running with this thread, although I know I have posted lots in this thread and the wheat thread. I see people asking about food storage in other forums and a little here, so I think a good bit of information in a thread or threads here is worth developing. There are still people who have no food storage and somewhat have no idea where to begin.

I do have much more to post about food storage and about topics such as rice, beans, sources, and more that have not been developed here. I am trying to not put it all out at once, because then it may just be viewed as pushing it down people's throats, or people might see so much of it, they won't participate or engage. I believe food storage is a very important topic, but do not see myself as knowing more than others. We have been here more than a year and little has been developed here about it. I know some people are really not interested, or are only interested slightly. There are some people out there who are very knowledgeable, experienced, and passionate about food storage and who are sharing for the world to see.

Rice is another one of those things that is just carbs. It basically turns to sugar when you eat it. i would think it would be a nightmare for a diabetic. I haven't eaten it for years, but did buy a package of dirty rice and some andoulie sausage recently to check it out, which is kind of odd for me. I saw two different people cooking it recently on YouTube, so I decided to give it a try. Spice and variety are going to be very important when we have a SHTF situation.

I have rice because it will be a good filler, if needed, and many dishes can be made with it. I have some jasmine, basmati, and a few other varieties. I have rice to make sushi and sticky rice (made with coconut milk). My daughter's celiac has pushed me toward having more of it. It can also be ground into flour and used in a mix of flours for gf cooking. I expect that the LDS rice that I have will mostly be flour one day.

The other thing about rice is that buying larger bags of it is so easy because of all the Asian markets. You can easily find 20, 25, and 50 pound bags. Costco and Sam's also carry large bags of rice. I even see larger bags at Walmart. It is inexpensive and readily available.

I used to eat brown rice and stir fry veggies a lot. Brown rice is really good, but has a limited shelf life, less than a year. The best way I can see to store it long-term is in a freezer. I could see eating stir fry and rice in a SHTF situation if you have a good garden and are struggling with little or no meat.

Weedy I like going thru this thread. I'm always looking for ways to expand our food storage. Lots of good information in here. You mentioned topics on beans. I would be very interested in what you have on that topic. I have been growing various types of beans for a few years and have a good amount stored to grow them in the future. Trying to find out what grows well around here, what we like the taste of, etc.

Weedy I like going thru this thread. I'm always looking for ways to expand our food storage. Lots of good information in here. You mentioned topics on beans. I would be very interested in what you have on that topic. I have been growing various types of beans for a few years and have a good amount stored to grow them in the future. Trying to find out what grows well around here, what we like the taste of, etc.
Weedy,
I enjoy and learn from your posts.
As I do with just about everyone.
Knowledge is golden as far as I'm concerned.
By all means pass that knowledge around.

Thank you both! I will keep posting.

Backpacker, beans is an interesting subject. I have met people who do not like them in any form. There are so many things that can be done with beans.

@Weedygarden we have no LDS canneries or Bishops Storehouses here in Australia rather the bishop allocates money for people in need to buy groceries with instead or if it is a bill that needs paying the church will pay it upon determining if there is a genuine need. In return for that welfare the recipients then give service to the church and I have known people to be grounds people and mow the chapel lawns, weed gardens and do assignments for that help. It is strongly suggested by the church for every family to be self reliant, have food storage, grow gardens and have money in reserve for the ups and downs of life and have a good education.

Most welcome for the food storage recommendation chart too and I hope it helps many who are starting out or simply wanting to increase their knowledge on the subject of food storage.

Last edited:
Here is another link to a good book on the LDS site called "Basic Physical Health with limited resources" which is fabulous and deals with going back to basics and a lot in there you could use in a grid down situation as well to survive. It covers health, gardening, raising stock, compost piles and quite a lot of medical information as well and well worth a read.

Here is the link -

https://providentliving.lds.org/bc/...Basic_Physical_Health_ENG.pdf?lang=eng#page=1

At one time as long as I had a bunch of food in the cupboard I was happy. When I got serious about prepping I paid more attention to what I ran out of. I hate running out. We ran out of Comet cleanser, which we use very little of, so we bought two cans. Little by little we increased our inventory to the point where we rarely run out.

Partly my storage is around what I eat because I'm prepping for everything going along pretty much as it is and partly because I want to avoid changing my diet any more than necessary. Dietary changes only adds to the stressors of any disaster.

Here is another link to a good book on the LDS site called "Basic Physical Health with limited resources" which is fabulous and deals with going back to basics and a lot in there you could use in a grid down situation as well to survive. It covers health, gardening, raising stock, compost piles and quite a lot of medical information as well and well worth a read.

Here is the link -

https://providentliving.lds.org/bc/...Basic_Physical_Health_ENG.pdf?lang=eng#page=1
That looks great! That is something that I would like to have printed out.

As @Weedygarden says yeast is really important and we stock around 20 x 500g packages of it per year as we make our own bread in the bread making machine. Yet to get to storing wheat yet but looking at friends who know wheat farmers so we can buy farm direct from them.

@Amish Heart I hate running out of anything as well and it would be an unusual circumstance if that happened (but it has due to another not writing things used on a perpetual shopping list :eek: ). I like having our own "grocery/food storage shop" here which I can go to to cook anything we really want at any time.

Latest posts

Back