Food Storage Information

Discussion in 'Prepping Talk' started by Weedygarden, Feb 3, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 12, 2019 #121

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

Thank you. I have one, but it wasn't at home for a while, and I have gotten out of the habit of using it. They really are nice for those of us who use instant coffee or for making tea, or instant drinks.

Sewingcreations15 likes this.
  2. Mar 12, 2019 #122

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Here is the whole article for those who do not want to wait.

Attached Files:

3. Mar 12, 2019 #123

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Thank you @hiwall I have saved it in favourites and will have a read of it and thank you too @Weedygarden.

Weedygarden and hiwall like this.
  4. Mar 13, 2019 #124

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Thank you for sharing this! I have downloaded it.

hiwall likes this.
  5. Mar 13, 2019 #125

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

You're welcome but honestly there is very likely no information in that short article that you don't already know. It is more tuned for a beginner.
    I know for a fact that many on this website know way more than me. I just happen to be the one that writes about it.

Caribou and Weedygarden like this.
  6. Mar 13, 2019 #126

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

I would like to report that I was Wrong!
    Extra virgin coconut oil has about an unlimited shelf life! Problem solved.

Weedygarden likes this.
  7. Mar 13, 2019 #127

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

You wrote the article, and that is worth something right there. Not one of the rest of us put it together to do so.
    I believe collectively, there is a lot of knowledge here. The discussions are great.

I'd bet that some people roll their eyes when I post about food storage or message their buddies with snide comments. I belong to other groups, and fairly regularly see posts from people who have no food storage and no idea where to start. I think your article covers those bases. I got my information by researching, reading lots of articles and websites. As a young forum, these basic ideas have not been developed here yet, and take time and effort. I believe they are important, even though they might seem monotonous to some.

I think the ongoing discussions keep us motivated, thinking and prompting all of us to move forward with it. I also think that these discussions help us all to figure out pieces we might not have considered before.

I have gotten some new food storage since the first of the year. I had felt stagnant about food storage for a while.

Those storage baskets on the wall in the photo of your article are very cool. Maybe you found it online? I think a root cellar with those would be great to have.

8. Mar 13, 2019 #128

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

There is live food storage also.
    Besides wild game there are a few domestic animals also.

Cows 94 million
    Pigs/hogs 70 million
    Goats 2.6 million
    Horses 20 million
    Sheep 5.3 million
    Tame Turkey 100 million
    Chickens 9+ Billion
    Deer 30 million
    Elk 1 million

Please just think about chickens. Over 9 billion, a number that is impossible to even imagine. The above list is missing many other edibles both wild and domestic. But think of all the meat in just the above list.

9. Mar 14, 2019 #129

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Rabbits are good too. They are easy (more or less) to breed and reproduce ... well ... FAST.
    Gerbils and hamsters reproduce faster and are good eating. They take less food and almost no water but they are small enough that it takes four to make a meal for one person.
    Whatever you choose to eat you should eat the major organs as well. Heart, liver and kidneys hold a lot of nutrients so learn to deal with it.
    Fish can be raised economically in aquaculture sets or caught in traps provide meat and fertilizer for your plants.
    Worms make a pretty good hamburger substitute while some bugs taste like shrimp and go well with rice. Snails are very good (in all there forms) but again it takes a lot to make a meal. They go further if served with lentils or pea soup. Wild cats (from bobcat to cougar and panthers) have a sweet taste to their meat much like monkey and are great to have on occasion. Snakes of all kinds make a pretty good meal if they are large and its a good way to get rid of the poisonous ones.
    Variety is the spice of life so get out there and experiment!