Food storage while you build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When in college we went with the climate controlled storage room for our food storage, We also had a small wagon to move stuff from the truck/car to the apartment. Most storage places have trolleys that you can use to move your stuff in and out.

If you go that route, I would strongly encourage you to inventory the stuff you put in there and plan (make a map) where you are going to put the stuff, place the stuff you don't need very often at the very back and the stuff you need to pull from or rotate towards the front. Some of those places have 24 hour access, which can be very useful when you want to be able to store stuff unobserved......

So in retrospect, is there any advantage to using a shipping container if you have to insulate it and add a separate roof? Compared to just building a building for your purpose.
The thing I like about a shipping container is that it gives a higher security factor for me, the main lock has a 1/4" steel box where the heavy duty lock goes up into as well as lockable closing bars. The other factor is that I couldn't build a building with as much storage the container has for the same cost.

New builds are nuts right now. We paid as much as we would of for a small house...just for an add on and basement under. The add on was 25 ft by 25 ft. Every price of every material has gone up, and some construction items were delayed a bit. Around here, new marrieds are building steel barn buildings for houses. Cheaper. But I thought there was a container shortage. Aren't they hard to get?

It definitely pays to get things while you can, it's really getting crazy, sometimes when I go for PVC fittings for water projects, ones I need are not always available, pot and hemp growers are using huge amounts of PVC pipe and fittings around here, strange thing going on is that sheriffs and drug enforcement have really been hammering so called hemp growers as many are really growing pot. I'd hate to be the pot grower when the cartel comes for their products.

The thing I like about a shipping container is that it gives a higher security factor for me, the main lock has a 1/4" steel box where the heavy duty lock goes up into as well as lockable closing bars. The other factor is that I couldn't build a building with as much storage the container has for the same cost.

You must have gotten a good deal, they are running about $7000 here. I love how they look but for me they don't make economic sense once you factor in insulation etc. they become a very expensive way to build.

Yeah this is what the contractor who will be doing our septic system told us too - get it now while you can as prices just going to go up and up.
Be careful to keep your stuff secure as possible. The more prices rise the more everything becomes a target. Sorry to be a downer.

You must have gotten a good deal, they are running about $7000 here. I love how they look but for me they don't make economic sense once you factor in insulation etc. they become a very expensive way to build.

My neighbor bought 2 40 footers this summer. $2500 each delivered.

Look into zoning and taxes. My friend got a 20' container as it 160'Sq which meets code. He put it on wood (treated) blocks because if he put it on concrete blocks it is considered permanent and his property taxes go up.

My neighbor bought 2 40 footers this summer. $2500 each delivered.

Nice. At that price they make a lot more sense....even in 2005 when I first looked into them, they where still about $4000

Back