For those who have bought “patterns”

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’m really wanting to make this quilt with the deer panel I just picked up for my husband. I’m in love with it, or at least what I’m seeing in my head with the fabrics I’ve gotten so far.
61C1094F-5748-4ED0-B187-B74E7299237D.jpeg

Has anyone bought a pattern like this before? What comes in it? There’s a hard copy option via mail and an instant download via PDF. Is this just the instructions and sized to be cut or templates I print and cut to use and directions?
FFFB6957-8193-4AA5-B72C-ABC4DC945D49.jpeg

I’ve emailed the seller but she’s yet to respond with further info. Part of me doesn’t want to buy it from her because of this but it’s the only pattern I’ve seen that I instantly knew was “the one”.
Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, help to offer? I’ve never done a quilt from a pattern before. Uncharted territory for me.
Thanks in advance!!!

It is beautiful. I am the type of person who would create this pattern for myself, and maybe even vary it a little. The person who made this quilt may not have a pattern to sell, or they may be putting together the instructions. If it were me, and that was my quilt, I would respond immediately, but that is me.

It is beautiful. I am the type of person who would create this pattern for myself, and maybe even vary it a little. The person who made this quilt may not have a pattern to sell, or they may be putting together the instructions. If it were me, and that was my quilt, I would respond immediately, but that is me.
The pattern is for sale on Etsy. The download is about $10. Mail pattern is about $12 plus shipping. What I have no idea on is what is coming for that price. Now add the fact that the seller hasn’t even responded to my question makes me more nervous about the $.
I was thinking about making a pattern for it myself but being I’ve never even make a quilt like this it’s a bit intimidating. However the panel is larger than shown in this pattern so I would have to tweak it anyways......... You’ve given me something to consider. Maybe when hubby leaves for work (he doesn’t know about this quilt or the purchase of the panel yet) I’ll pull the panel out and give it a good effort to recreate. Thanks for the advice!

Those panels can make some beautiful quilts in a hurry! I just ordered one last night for a cowboy quilt I'm going to make. I order from ebay quite a bit and would be careful about ordering something that the seller won't answer questions about. 99% of the time there won't be a problem but it only takes once to rain on your parade. The setting design you're showing would be very easy to make without buying a pattern, just break it down step by step. What size quilt do you want this to be? Do you want it to be a square or rectangle? When you break down the design shown, the first thing is to put a narrow sash around the panel. I'd suggest it be either 1" or 1 1/2" finished depending on the size of your panel. The next step is the border she put on top and bottom. Here are some nice border patterns from Quilter's Cache.

http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Borders.html

After that you just put several narrow borders around it followed by the wider pieced border. You could make it with the maple leaf blocks or even use another of the Quilter's Cache borders. Then finish it off with the outer narrow borders and … Presto!! It's a quilt! If you need any help on working out your measurements, just ask. Quilters dearly love to give advice. :thumbs: Your husband is going to be soooo tickled that you made this for him.

Here's the panel I ordered. Not sure how I'm going to use it but I liked the cattle drive.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/462689...tle-drive-cotton?show_sold_out_detail=1&frs=1

@CalicoKatie Wow! That’s so very helpful!!!! I can’t thank you enough. I’ll measure the panel and get back to you on measurement help! That information already gives me a start! It’s hubby’s weekend so I can’t pull it out at the moment. For him I’m up to the challenge and would truly be grateful for some more advice for sure! I don’t know anyone who quilts (other than here) and being stuck at home trying to not get sick I’m struggling with getting this done. Just found some more fabric for this quilt from Michaels of all places and it will be here in a week. Looking for other online places to order a few more fabrics still. Thank you again! I’m truly grateful for the help and advice! :huggs:oh and I love that horse fabric. I’ve been collecting western horse fabric for a few years now so maybe one day I’ll design and make my own quilt.

I'm with weedy and calico - you can do it. If the panel is a different size, you will end up re-writing the whole thing anyways. I like to sketch out with pencil and paper so I have a good idea and breakdown of what I need to do. I do occasionally purchase patterns, but it's pretty seldom. I've been burned by "refer to photo" (which was almost blurry) as instructions. So frustrating. I generally end up drawing my own.

Thank you @LadyLocust
The panel I already bought is definitely going to be a different size than in the pattern. I’m going to not buy the pattern. I emailed the seller again and finally got a response. She just sends pictures and printed out instructions on paper. Don’t think that’s worth $10 for PDF or for printed plus shipping.
I’m going to give it a go with everyone’s suggestions. (Biting my nails off as we speak o_O)

You got this.
If you get stuck just ask a question.
We have all start somewhere.
:huggs:Thank you! This means a lot to do this for my hubby. Back in 2006 I made him a quilt (my first quilt) and it’s fabric unfortunately has shredded over the years. He asked me to “fix it” because it’s important to him. It’s NOT fixable so I’ve pulled out the remaining fabric and replaced some that fell apart quickly and am working on making him a new one (basically the exact same as before). When I saw this deer panel and hear him say often he doesn’t have a “blanket” that fits him on the sofa I got it in hopes of making that first. In theory far less detail etc than what his remake quilt will be. Still not quite sure on the finished size yet though. It’s a work in progress and hard when your trying to be sneaky in a very small house.

CB14A31E-10AE-4208-8398-916987E5F895.jpeg

This is the panel I got for his quilt.
7C482E7F-B253-4436-8D01-D71096C3B679.jpeg

this is the panel I’ve been trying to get my hands on for a long time. This is his favorite scene. We actually have this in print on our wall. The only Mule deer fabric I’ve ever seen. Mule deer are what we hunt and they are almost never seen on pictures etc for sale.

Latest posts

Back