Forager's calendar?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappydell

Super Friend
Neighbor
Anybody else here keep a forager's calendar? One that lists your local plants/game month by month? I started one because I got tired of forgetting to go out and forage for a particular thing until the season for it was past.

I thought about it long ago but I'm more interested in medicinals. I've already been out hunting medicinals this year (24Jan). There is only one edible I have to have and that's lambs quarters. I'm usually looking for it weeks before it comes up, love the stuff. There are a few others I like as a munchie when I'm out walking like purslane, chickweed, perilla, wood sorrel and sheep's sorrel. I'll munch on them when I see them but I don't go hunting for them. :)

I want to add... I did sort of keep a calendar for medicinals for a few years. I took thousands of photos and put them on my computer. I filed them by year and month to help me remember what month a certain plant came up, when it was ready to harvest etc. This winter I started refiling all those pictures by species. I no longer need a calendar.

I have a card file on medicinals but have not yet worked out a calendar for them. Since moving across the country (north to south) I have a whole new bunch of stuff to find again. I did bring some yarrow to plant (I like it for colds) but want to plant various medicinals around the property...starting with my old friend the elderberry (if we don't have one around here already, LOL).

The foraging file should still be fairly useful, lots of duplication of plants & critters, just need to change the dates;)

... I did sort of keep a calendar for medicinals for a few years. I took thousands of photos and put them on my computer. I filed them by year and month to help me remember what month a certain plant came up, when it was ready to harvest etc....
This is something I've been meaning to do. By putting together a calendar, it would also help me learn - I have so much to learn.

... Since moving across the country (north to south) I have a whole new bunch of stuff to find again.... The foraging file should still be fairly useful, lots of duplication of plants & critters, just need to change the dates;)
I have a whole new area to learn, and I'm only moving to a different area of the state - I can't imagine how different things are for you moving across the country! :)

Back