Foreign Prepping...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
Here is one of an interesting series of ...foreign prepping.. I believe from the Ukraine area of Europe.. For instance the fish being canned I believe is Asian Carp.. The same as the invasive species in the US..

I would like to try some of the things they are cooking.. However I would be very uncomfortable trying to can, preserve anything the way they do.. There methods being so much different than the USDA style methods of pressure canning we are used to.. There methods obviously work, but would need getting used to.. Here is one example of the videos.. Anyone seen, follow anything like this ??

Most of the cases of botulism that I have read about is from improper canning of fish. Not going to do that unless I had to.
== ==
I would not hesitate to pressure can fish... Have not looked it up, but I would use what ever the USDA, Complete Ball Blue Book of Canning, or other reliable source of info recommends for a safe process.. At a time we had a lot of west coast Canada salmon, caught and shared by neighbors.. It never lasted long enough to get canned..

Most of the cases of botulism that I have read about is from improper canning of fish. Not going to do that unless I had to.
It needs to be salted, smoked, THEN canned. :) think anchovies.

Here is one of an interesting series of ...foreign prepping.. I believe from the Ukraine area of Europe.. For instance the fish being canned I believe is Asian Carp.. The same as the invasive species in the US..

I would like to try some of the things they are cooking.. However I would be very uncomfortable trying to can, preserve anything the way they do.. There methods being so much different than the USDA style methods of pressure canning we are used to.. There methods obviously work, but would need getting used to.. Here is one example of the videos.. Anyone seen, follow anything like this ??

Assuming Farmers cheese,

== ==
I would not hesitate to pressure can fish... Have not looked it up, but I would use what ever the USDA, Complete Ball Blue Book of Canning, or other reliable source of info recommends for a safe process.. At a time we had a lot of west coast Canada salmon, caught and shared by neighbors.. It never lasted long enough to get canned..
I have canned tons of salmon. 10psi for 90 minutes for quarts. I do all sizes for 90 minutes. Salt and oil are optional (1 tsp per pint of each), I do mine plain. You can can smoked salmon but do a light smoke, half an hour or so, as the canning strengthens the smoke. If you fully smoke salmon save yourself some time, go to a construction site, scoop up some sawdust, and run a torch over it. It would be hard to tell the difference. Don't ask me how I know.

She started with bay leaves and pickling spices then added onion and, in some, carrots. The clear fluid could have been water but if it was vinegar she was pickling her fish. Canning pickled fish would be safer and last longer. I think Mom has a few of those jars that she uses for spices and such.

@Tim Horton haven't watched the videos you posted yet but I did watch a program today called "Happy People - a Year in the Taiga," made in 2010, takes place in Siberia in a village called Bakhtia on the Yenisei River. Lots of fishing, trapping, hunting. They are so remote they even make their own nails. It says they are indigenous but they are Russians with a handful of indigenous peoples still there. They make little winter hunting cabins way up river to see them through when they go out for the winter to do all the things they do for getting food. There is one guy left in the village who knows how to make the canoes which can carry a snowmobile, supplies, a dog or two, many many miles upriver (I say upriver but it is downriver going north). Population in village is 3000.

Tim Horton I would rely on true and proven recipes from our ancestor. You can actually differ from the USDA methods and still be alive years later.
== ==
There are a number of ...rebel canners.. sites available... I haven't visited any of them, but know there are people there that have successfully used ...un approved methods...
I would have to think long and hard before using some techniques... So there are face book groups and other media sources...

Might be interesting winter reading... ??

https://www.youtube.com/c/rebelcanners
https://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Canners-Cookbook-Preserving-Time-Honored/dp/1732751455
http://rootedmag.net/make/an-inside-look-at-home-canners-who-preserve-by-their-own-rules/

I have pressure canners and use them because they are available to me and make sense to me. I do not have a canning bible with usda approved recipes. Boring. I don't want to can the same old recipes that every other Tom, Dick and Mary are canning.

There are so many untested and made up recipes to can, following certain rules, that just make living more worthwhile.

The canning gestapo hasn't tested anything new since the dinosaurs roamed the earth, and they never will. I aim to misbehave. My canning is not for public consumption anyways.

I belong to a Facebook group called S.N.U.G. I have learned so much from them.

Stands for :
Still
Not
Usda
Guidelines

That's where I get most of my recipes. A lot of the time I just make my recipe and pressure can it for whatever needs the longest time.
And I would can fish if I had a lot and the freezer went down. Just a little leery.

I belong to a Facebook group called S.N.U.G. I have learned so much from them.

Stands for :
Still
Not
Usda
Guidelines

That's where I get most of my recipes. A lot of the time I just make my recipe and pressure can it for whatever needs the longest time.
And I would can fish if I had a lot and the freezer went down. Just a little leery.
I mostly do the protein canning, fish, moose, caribou, beef, etc. I can it all the same. Sometimes I can ham and beans. Since it has meat in the recipe it gets cooked the same as pure protein. I have eaten a jar of canned salmon that was twenty years old so it must work. I had to move a shelving unit on casters to get to the fuse box. I noticed a jar of salmon from '08. I better get around to eating that one soon.

Lately I have seen a number of videos available about home canning best described as complete meals.. Beef stew, soups, and the like.. Kind of like homemade Dinty Moore Chunky products.. Wonderful idea as long as you have storage space that will not freeze.. I'm sure you can be quite ...creative.. with ingredients and spices.. However.. One thing I learned is to NOT use sage in canned goods.. My experience was it will turn bitter when processed.. Therefor I always canned things very bland and spiced when ready to eat..
To each his own experience..
--- ---
Side thought.... They recommend cutting fish fillets to stand in a pint jar for canning.. I wonder if you rolled the fillets in a bit of parchment paper, like you would bacon for canning, if that would make it easier to fill, can, remove from the jar ??

--- ---
Side thought.... They recommend cutting fish fillets to stand in a pint jar for canning.. I wonder if you rolled the fillets in a bit of parchment paper, like you would bacon for canning, if that would make it easier to fill, can, remove from the jar ??
Let us know how that works. I cut fillets to fill my jars, because it is faster, I fill the voids with the tail ends or chunks. No matter how you cit your fish it will mold into one lump and you will have to crumble it in order to cook with. Even with the paper I doubt that you'll manage to place a filet on a plate.

Latest posts

Back