Forward, always moving forward

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hey all been a bit. Life's been crazy busy, cool. We're planning on building our retirement home this year so that is taking time. We will do it all from clearing the land to buying the new lazyboy. About r45 in the spray urethane filled walls r62 in the lid. Pine wood for the siding.
Got out to the cabin a couple times. Got 200 1x6x8 ' TnG knotty pine for the upstairs ceiling freighted out. A new duel fuel generator 2500w Champion. And a small freezer. Mostly. We got a hundred gallons of premium gasoline out prior. Then my beautiful wife n me spent a couple days chilling out.
With the freezer now I have refrigeration. And freezing. I will hook it up to a revert your freezer to a refrigerator device for a refrigerator or just use as a freezer. Kinda big deal because this finishes up a huge project.
The 8x12 generator shed is insulated and vapor sealed. I have a small air conditioner to mount so I can have a walk in cooler. And with the freezer in there I can cool it down faster. Important because we are remote with fly in access. So if a moose is harvested it has to get flown out and then another couple hours to the garage. And a couple long days.
Now we can process the whole thing out there. And I have a vacuum sealer too. We will finish up the indoor sandpoint well and have running water at the kitchen sink. Currently we get water from the pond or creek n run it through a purifier. So things are getting easier for us older folks.
Around the house. We put up near 300 pounds of processed rabbit meat. Barter for seafood n wild game. Oh yeah, nice to have a freezer of different protein. Especially halibut n octopus. Blacktail deer. Elk n moose n such. Not bragging just saying, it's working out ok. I'm out grinding rabbit poo now for the garden.
Still have snow in the front yard n garden but soon. I can get the peas n beans in now.
Hey lifes great n we're always moving forward. But I've got the best wife n friend forever by my side n our kids n grandkids near. No problems n only solutions. And the Good Lord's blessings

You mentioned, in another thread, that you want a heated floor. Which pipe pattern will you be using? I prefer the spiral though that isn't always practical. Don't forget, no Pex under the cabinets and especially none under the fridge or freezers. Heating the cabinets is a waste of energy and you'll get plenty coming in from the rest of the floor. Heat under the refrigeration causes the units to work harder in a hotter environment causing you to use more power, wear faster, and for the appliance to warm faster in a power outage.

I had a customer with a heated floor. It was wonderful. the problem was that when I got the call the heat had been out for about 2 days before they knew about it.

If you are planning on a wood fired boiler get a large buffer tank to go with it.

Thanks caribou, good points. I have a buddy that has been a plumber and has done many. Also I believe that you can control pex or other retailers and send them your floor plans. They will design the best way to route lines and sell you exactly what you need.
Lucky for me, all I have to do is send the floor plan to my buddy n he will handle the rest as he's done it sooooo much he can do it off the top of his head. And he's been doing it in ak so he knows the weather. He's a good hunting partner too

Latest posts

Back